Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
As of April 13, 2021 (in conjunction with the federal government bailout), AC is providing refunds for flights cancelled due to COVID, which applies to tickets with travel after February 1, 2020, and purchased before April 13, 2021. This includes flights cancelled by customers rather than AC.

Going forward (i.e. tickets purchased on or after April 13, 2021), cancelled flights will be refunded if AC does not offer a re-booking option with departure +/- 3 hours from the original time.

AC refund portal

Online refund request form

Press release on the bailout
Print Wikipost

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2021, 4:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerAl
I'm in a similar situation (requested a refund of a voucher from a November flight). I get that same message in "chat", but my voucher is now showing a $0 balance. Is your voucher depleted as well?
Yes!

That looks promising.

They should prioritize by status
Old Apr 22, 2021, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
They should prioritize by status
In that case, you'd get your refund tomorrow and I'd get mine in December LOL
Old Apr 22, 2021, 6:56 pm

Kudos for keeping this thread alive and well.

I requested to convert a e voucher to refund. My flight was for April 2020 with ticket purchased Sept. 2019.

Any know if I am low or high priority?

Thanks.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 9:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by guessaaa
When were your original flight dates? I submitted a form on Tuesday morning for a voucher for flights in December 2020 and for an AC cancelled itinerary for April 2021. I've received nothing to date, I can't even check the status until a week has gone by. They say they're prioritizing refunds by flight dates.
April 13: Submitted a forms for AC cancelled itinerary and voucher.
April 19: Received cancellation email for the AC cancelled itinerary. Checked my voucher value and it was zeroed out, no email from AC on this.
April 23: Received refund for the AC cancelled itinerary, back dated to June 2020 when I bought the ticket. TD doesn't show the refund in the app because of the back date, can only see it online. Still waiting for voucher refund.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 3:58 pm

Thank you for that information guessaaa .

On this page: one can check the status of their refund (Kind of generically). I did put my case number in and the automated bot told me the same thing as written in the blue shaded text box on the webpage.So not that useful overall except that at least it did recognize my case #.

So probably got to wait a few more weeks to get refunded. Not sure if they are refunding from early date to later dates or vice versa?
strickerj and SacCalFlyer like this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 10:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by guessaaa
April 13: Submitted a forms for AC cancelled itinerary and voucher.
April 19: Received cancellation email for the AC cancelled itinerary. Checked my voucher value and it was zeroed out, no email from AC on this.
April 23: Received refund for the AC cancelled itinerary, back dated to June 2020 when I bought the ticket. TD doesn't show the refund in the app because of the back date, can only see it online. Still waiting for voucher refund.
April 26: Received a refund receipt for the voucher.
Gorji likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 11:52 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
I booked a fare on an AC ticket but through Priceline for last summer.

Now PL gave me 2 years to use the credit but it must be on AC. They said AC actually has the money and they would have to approve a refund.

When I go to the AC site and put in the reference number, it says I booked through 3rd-party and they can't see the booking details on 3rd-party systems so I would have to go to them for refund.

PL says no refunds, have until August 2022 to book. Then if I rebook by then and AC cancels the flight, then I would be eligible for refund.

I have no problem rebooking to use this credit, though flying out of SFO, it's a drag to have to fly through YYZ or YUL on a A220. My original tickets, the SFO-YYZ/YUL portion had lie flats.

But I guess I will have to deal with it. I originally booked AC last year because of UA's crappy PQP scheme, which actually netted you more PQPs for flying AC than UA.

But the thing I'm finding is that many of the flights which show up on Google Flights or on AC don't actually appear on PL, at least at the offered price.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 12:09 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by jix
Request thru expedia.com, told to wait 2 billing cycles but they've submitted the refund since booking is eligible.

I also requested the conversion to travel voucher instead of AC credit months ago but probably not even processed.
Full refund received 6 days later.
Gorji and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by exp
I booked a fare on an AC ticket but through Priceline for last summer.

Now PL gave me 2 years to use the credit but it must be on AC. They said AC actually has the money and they would have to approve a refund.

When I go to the AC site and put in the reference number, it says I booked through 3rd-party and they can't see the booking details on 3rd-party systems so I would have to go to them for refund.

PL says no refunds, have until August 2022 to book. Then if I rebook by then and AC cancels the flight, then I would be eligible for refund.

I have no problem rebooking to use this credit, though flying out of SFO, it's a drag to have to fly through YYZ or YUL on a A220. My original tickets, the SFO-YYZ/YUL portion had lie flats.

But I guess I will have to deal with it. I originally booked AC last year because of UA's crappy PQP scheme, which actually netted you more PQPs for flying AC than UA.

But the thing I'm finding is that many of the flights which show up on Google Flights or on AC don't actually appear on PL, at least at the offered price.
Don't know if it will help you, but I had the same situation with another online TA and had a credit from last March that had to be used in the next two years. I called the online TA (in your case, Priceline) since the change of policy and advised them that AC was now providing refunds and they contacted AC while I was still on the line with them and were able to get the refund set up within half an hour and it was processed within two days.
Gorji likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 12:44 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
Don't know if it will help you, but I had the same situation with another online TA and had a credit from last March that had to be used in the next two years. I called the online TA (in your case, Priceline) since the change of policy and advised them that AC was now providing refunds and they contacted AC while I was still on the line with them and were able to get the refund set up within half an hour and it was processed within two days.

Thanks I may try again but I talked to two of them and the second one claimed to be checking. I couldn't understand her that well but I thought what she told me is that I can rebook and then if AC cancels, they would approve of a refund then.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gorji
Thank you for that information guessaaa .

On this page: one can check the status of their refund (Kind of generically). I did put my case number in and the automated bot told me the same thing as written in the blue shaded text box on the webpage.So not that useful overall except that at least it did recognize my case #.

So probably got to wait a few more weeks to get refunded. Not sure if they are refunding from early date to later dates or vice versa?
It says "...ticket with travel dates on or after February 1, 2020 and purchased before April 13, 2021 ...we are currently processing refund requests for flights up to February 16, 2020." So, I guess those who got their money back already took the action rather than waiting for their turn? Is AC basically moving 1ish day up each day? It is like waiting for the US Green Card queue

A friend of mine had a ticket on AC for last summer. The TA in Taiwan told them it will take 4-6 months for the refund (previously, they negotiated to a transferable voucher for 5 years).
Old Apr 27, 2021, 2:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
It's said Feb 16 the entire time, and I know people who go the refund for flights well after that. No luck for my November booking though.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 7:30 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by strickerj
So this is a surprise... I got an unsolicited email from AC Customer Care noting their refund policy update and offering to expedite my refund in exchange for withdrawing my DOT complaint. I've already been refunded through a credit card chargeback, so the expedited processing doesn't really have any value. I'm concerned if I withdraw my DOT complaint, then it'll effectively be stricken from the record - considering they retroactively changed their policy and breached their own tariff as of the time of my purchase, and they had no intention of making their customers whole until receiving a government bailout, I'm not sure I want this barrage of complaints effectively removed from their statistics as if nothing happened - they serve as a caution to future customers.

Any thoughts on how to respond?
Originally Posted by strickerj
Thanks; I guess that makes sense but it's a little unsatisfying that there's no punitive action for jerking customers around for over a year before "voluntarily" refunding in advance of a DOT judgement - the airlines all knew full well what they were doing here.
Just to provide an update, I responded that I had already received a refund through a credit card chargeback but would prefer to keep my DOT complaint on the record. If I'm understanding correctly, withdrawing my complaint makes it stricken from their statistics, as if it were never filed. I did want to be clear I'd been refunded so I'm not appearing to double-dip, but I also feel there should be civil penalties for flagrantly violating their own Tariff.
SacCalFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 8:26 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Now that AC is doing refunds, I've updated the wiki to reflect that and include links to the key pages.

Maybe @yyznomad can make it look fancier, but it's at least more useful now, hopefully.
strickerj and SacCalFlyer like this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 8:37 am

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly
Originally Posted by canadiancow
It's said Feb 16 the entire time, and I know people who go the refund for flights well after that. No luck for my November booking though.
Same situation here. There refund process seems to be a shitshow as well. I don't think the "refund status" is really getting updated. If its taking them so long to just refund flights till Feb 16th, god knows when the refund for the summer/fall 2020 months will come.
Maybe one of these days, i'll have to block out some time and do the "call dance" with them
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.