Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

COVID-Related Flight Pass Extensions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COVID-Related Flight Pass Extensions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2021, 2:29 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Same, except the ones that are empty. Those are still Mar 31.
On the one hand, I'm glad they haven't further extended passes that have been fully used up that are clogging up my list. But I do have one pass where all the credits have been used but the flights not yet taken (so still potential to cancel them and get the credits back).

In my case, the pass expires in late December 2022 already, so it's not worth worrying about, but I could see people having booked placeholder trips that they may now reconsider, and that would be problematic for them. Heck, my 8-credit sun FP from that good deal late last year almost suffered this fate. I just hadn't yet gotten around to booking a second, placeholder trip yet.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 2:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
My pre-COVID flight passes have been extended to December 31, 2022. The flight pass I bought this August still has an August 11, 2022 expiry.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 3:25 pm

is there a special AC contact email address for flight passes?

Sounds like the AC twitter team still didn't get the memo about extensions to Dec 2022

All Flight Passes, except Unlimited Flight Passes, with an expiration date in 2020 have been extended until March 31, 2022. For Flight Passes, except Unlimited Flight Passes, expiring between January 2021 and September 2021 have been extended until March 31, 2022.

Since your Flight Pass is valid until April 20, 2022 we have not extended the date further. Should we offer an extension, we will notify you.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Nov 9, 2021 at 5:51 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Nov 9, 2021, 5:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Sounds like the AC twitter team still didn't get the memo about extensions to Dec 2022
Maybe you should wait until there IS a memo before talking to front-line staff about it?

This is much better than announcing it, then starting to actually do it.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Maybe you should wait until there IS a memo before talking to front-line staff about it?

This is much better than announcing it, then starting to actually do it.
I think that's what I will do. Hoping there WILL actually be a memo. Plus, from past events AC used to pass the memo before implementing the relevant changes so I thought the staff did receive a memo already

Last edited by hoipolloi; Nov 9, 2021 at 7:03 pm
Old Nov 9, 2021, 8:30 pm

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
My flight passes have also been extended till dec 2022 !!!
Old Nov 9, 2021, 8:56 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
No change in any of my flight passes.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 9:42 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
My passes have extended to 12/31/22
thanks for posting this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 5:57 am

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by canolakid
March 31 2022 expiration still in place for my Sun pass (purchased Dec 2019)
Update: Extended to Dec 31 2022
Thanks again to FT community for the heads up!
Old Nov 10, 2021, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
My two "gift of travel" passes still show them expiring April 20th. :-(
Old Nov 10, 2021, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by The Lev
My two "gift of travel" passes still show them expiring April 20th. :-(
Same here

Do your passes have unused credits in them or are all the credits used up in past or future travel bookings?

Just checked for the second time today and this time I see that my Gift of travel (Sun) flight pass has been extended as well to Dec 31 2022 even though all credits are locked up in future flight bookings 🥳

EDIT: I think this maybe because I wrote to consumer care. received a reply from them about the same time:
"....Our system was set to ignore any Flight Passes that had a zero credit balance when the extension was automatated yesterday. Thank you for letting us know that your credits are being used for future travel. We are pleased to advise that a complimentary extension to December 31, 2022 has now been processed for your Flight Pass.
...."

I'm glad AC extended my travel pass, which means I can use the credits later in 2022 without needing to pay to extend them if I can't make my spring break trip due to work.

Last edited by hoipolloi; Nov 12, 2021 at 9:13 am Reason: .
Old Nov 10, 2021, 10:22 am

Mine were extended. This means a Transcend pass I bought in May 2019 still has validity with some credits left. Kudos to Air Canada on this - they could have taken a hardline but this shows wonderful goodwill.
hoipolloi likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Mine were extended. This means a Transcend pass I bought in May 2019 still has validity with some credits left. Kudos to Air Canada on this - they could have taken a hardline but this shows wonderful goodwill.
I don't actually see this as goodwill.

It's one thing to say "our routes/schedules can change", but I still think about 80% of the destinations aren't being served and 2/3 of the non-stops aren't running on two of my FPs. They'd never win that fight in court. And lawyers have shown a willingness to take on "flight pass users" as a class.

Until they're actually operating a good chunk of the routes/schedules they marketed, they're going to have to keep extending. That being said, I suspect this is the final extension.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Do your passes have unused credits in them or are all the credits used up in past or future travel bookings?
I have yet to use any of the segments.
I did have one segment booked on one of the passes but ended up cancelling it.
hoipolloi likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 11:32 pm

I'm at 33% for extension - I do find it kind of ironic that the pass I bought earliest (in 2019) is the one that got extended farthest. I'm working on the logic that it was a "real" pass, where as the other two were promotional ones. Either way I'll sit it out a while and see what happens. April is too far away to be fussed about it yet.

(For those keeping track, nothing booked on furthest expiring pass, one segment booked on one of the other two, but all 3 still have credits available.)
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.