Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

COVID-Related Flight Pass Extensions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COVID-Related Flight Pass Extensions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2022, 12:29 pm

Programs: AC E75K, spouse E75K (MM), National Emerald, various hotel programs
Has anyone had recent success asking Air Canada to extend an expiring flight pass to December 31, 2022? We've got two East-West Connector flight passes that will expire within weeks and would rather not pay to extend them if AC is doing goodwill extensions.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Did you ever have no credits available because you had active bookings that have since been cancelled? I thought all FPs with any credits remaining were extended already.
Seat13F_AC_CRJ likes this.

Last edited by canadiancow; Jul 18, 2022 at 1:37 pm Reason: added missing word
Old Jul 18, 2022, 1:18 pm

Programs: AC E75K, spouse E75K (MM), National Emerald, various hotel programs
Data point, I know of two FPs that were NOT extended. We regularly purchase the East-West Connector to facilitate family visits in YYZ and YUL. COVID-19 has significantly reduced our usage since we bought them last summer, so we have two passes with unused credits. We're about to try and use them and discovered they expire shortly before our next intended booking.

My spouse called the E75 priority line yesterday and wasted an hour asking about if they could be extended. Apparently only can be done via Customer Relations webform, which we've submitted.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Did you ever have no credits available because you had active bookings that have since been cancelled? I thought all FPs with any credits remaining were extended already.
I have two FPs (still) expiring Nov 2022.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 2:33 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
AC just agreed to extend my Sun pass (purchased November 2020), as a courtesy, to March 31. Have to say I'm pretty annoyed that they cancelled pretty much the entire Caribbean schedule through end of April in both 2021 and 2022, negating my plans to use it in April both of those years, and now will only extend it through the end of March, but apparently the flight pass desk has apparently only been given latitude by revenue management to extend passes to March 31 and can't extend anything beyond that. Perhaps I'll take that up with senior management.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
AC just agreed to extend my Sun pass (purchased November 2020), as a courtesy, to March 31. Have to say I'm pretty annoyed that they cancelled pretty much the entire Caribbean schedule through end of April in both 2021 and 2022, negating my plans to use it in April both of those years, and now will only extend it through the end of March, but apparently the flight pass desk has apparently only been given latitude by revenue management to extend passes to March 31 and can't extend anything beyond that. Perhaps I'll take that up with senior management.
they also extended mine to March 31, 2023.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The bovine just asked for (and received) a Dec 31 extension, but he's also hoping to push it out a few more months. He'll try again in December if he hasn't used them all.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 4:49 pm

Programs: AC Super Elite, Hilton Diamond
I asked for an extension on my Florida+ pass to at least December 31, 2022 and was granted an extension to March 31, 2023. We are therefore able to use well into our Canadian winter and do not have to finish all of our bookings before Christmas. For us, we were very happy with the result (thanks, AC). Although we do appreciate that Adam Smith and many others will rightly not be so happy with this result. Bonus feature (knock on wood) was lie-flat seats to Barbados starting in November.
Yhztraveller likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 4:03 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Who did you contact? I have a World Travel Pass - Western Canada - Europe and North Africa (Business Class) expiring Dec 31/2022 with a couple of credits remaining, which i would like to use Q1 2023. I'm actually fine with paying the extension fee ($350 and then $650 for 3+3 months), but obviously would prefer a free extension. However, the key point is that I want to confirm that I have the option to pay for the extensions per the original T&C... worst case.

Thanks

- Visitor
Old Oct 6, 2022, 8:41 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Per post #243- use the customer service webform- select the Flight Pass Product option and choose from the menu option 'extension'

I politely indicated that travel had been chaotic which severely disrupted our plans to use the FP and would appreciate a courtesy extension. Request granted with an extension to Mar 31 2023 for SW FP that was purchased in 2019 (and had been courtesy extended several times). Email reply indicated the normal extension for $$ option would appear in the dashboard in the last month of the now extended pass but I hope to have used up the remaining credits before then...
visitor likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 8:48 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by visitor
Who did you contact? I have a World Travel Pass - Western Canada - Europe and North Africa (Business Class) expiring Dec 31/2022 with a couple of credits remaining, which i would like to use Q1 2023. I'm actually fine with paying the extension fee ($350 and then $650 for 3+3 months), but obviously would prefer a free extension. However, the key point is that I want to confirm that I have the option to pay for the extensions per the original T&C... worst case.

Thanks

- Visitor
Originally Posted by canolakid
Per post #243- use the customer service webform- select the Flight Pass Product option and choose from the menu option 'extension'

I politely indicated that travel had been chaotic which severely disrupted our plans to use the FP and would appreciate a courtesy extension. Request granted with an extension to Mar 31 2023 for SW FP that was purchased in 2019 (and had been courtesy extended several times). Email reply indicated the normal extension for $$ option would appear in the dashboard in the last month of the now extended pass but I hope to have used up the remaining credits before then...
I used the webform as well to ask about my World Travel Pass Asia. I'll let you know what they say. HKG and Japan just opened up but still have some restrictions in place, and it is not enough time for me to plan a trip before Dec 31.
visitor likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 9:05 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by visitor

Thanks

- Visitor
In follow-up.

I submitted the webform 2 days ago.

This morning I received a reply:

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding your WTP 2019 West Canada- Asia Flight Pass. We appreciate the time you have taken to contact us, and your patience awaiting a reply.

We are sorry to hear you pay not be able to use the remaining credits on your Flight Pass before it is due to expire. As a courtesy, this Flight Pass was extended until December 31, 2022 to allow greater opportunity to travel. Unfortunately, no further complimentary extensions are being considered. If you are still unable to use all your credits prior to this new expiry date, then on month prior to the expiry, you can extend this Flight Pass through your dashboard (if available). I have included below the Terms and Conditions surrounding the Validity Period:
Validity Period

This Flight Pass is valid for 9 consecutive months from date of purchase. It will expire at 11:59 pm (GMT) on the 9 month anniversary of its purchase date. Please make the necessary adjustments for your local time zone. Travel must be booked and completed within the validity period. All unused flight credits remaining beyond the Flight Pass expiration date will be forfeited
One (1) month prior to pass expiration date, Flight Pass may be extended once for 3 months; for a $350 CAD fee, plus taxes. A second extension can be made one (1) month prior to the extended expiration date for $650 CAD, plus taxes. This fee is subject to change. Extension fees will be assessed at time of Flight Pass extension.
A Flight Pass extension can be processed up to two (2) times per pass and must be completed prior to pass expiration. All unused flight credits remaining beyond Flight Pass expiration date, or extended expiration date, will be forfeited.
No refund, in whole or in part, will be issued for any Flight Pass.
No free extension. Guess I'm out at least $350 CAD.
visitor likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 9:35 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I should note that shortly after I got off the phone with the AC rep on this call, I got an e-mail saying they had decided to extend it to April 30th after all. I think that's an appropriate outcome.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 10:14 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
No free extension. Guess I'm out at least $350 CAD.
I'm going to be in the same boat. I missed a trip to HKG in February when AC cancelled service altogether, and I'm going to end the year with 2 credits left on my Asia West Canada Flex flight pass. I was really hoping they'd do a complimentary extension to next March!
Old Oct 17, 2022, 1:29 pm

Programs: Air Canada Elite, Continental Gold, IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Gold
I have 4 Latitude flight passes with a total of 28 credits on them, all expiring Dec 31. I asked for an extension. A rep called me and was very polite, but in the end his message was: No more free extensions.

It's a bit disappointing, we did try to get back to flying but were caught in one of those nightmare scenarios this summer and so put the brakes on any more elective travel.

I do think AC has been generous so far with both flight pass extensions and status extensions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.