Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Old Jan 27, 20, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we dont rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Old May 12, 20, 2:17 pm
  #1651  
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE MM, DL PM, WS Silver, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium, Hilton/Radisson Gold, Accor Silver
Posts: 14,940
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi View Post
Except there won't be any Rouge A319's left either...
They're only "accelerating the retirement" of the 319s (both rouge and mainline). There are still plenty kicking around the fleet and that will certainly be the case for a while. No reason they can't use a 319, rouge or mainline, to run the BOG route this summer.

It could definitely be done with an A220 but seems unlikely they will have enough birds yet to assign one to the route. I'm thinking it will be an A330 - there really aren't enough 788's to cover all of these former Rouge routes.
Agreed on the 220, and on the small number of 788s. The 330 might be too much for the BOG route if traffic is down much though.
Adam Smith is offline  
Old May 12, 20, 2:18 pm
  #1652  
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 16
Originally Posted by nock View Post
I was wondering how you did the chargeback for a future flight. I just got a cancellation notice for flights in June but wasnt sure if I could initiate a cc chargeback until the actual date of the flight since you cant select a future date during the dispute process (at least with chase visa).
You can dispute with Chase Visa for a future date, but you have to call (can't do it on the website).
dangersquid is offline  
Old May 12, 20, 4:13 pm
  #1653  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 1,114
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi View Post
Except there won't be any Rouge A319's left either...

It could definitely be done with an A220 but seems unlikely they will have enough birds yet to assign one to the route. I'm thinking it will be an A330 - there really aren't enough 788's to cover all of these former Rouge routes.
Good riddance
hoipolloi is online now  
Old May 13, 20, 6:05 am
  #1654  
 
Join Date: May 2020
Programs: United Mileage Plus
Posts: 2
A question about how AC is handling passengers on cancelled flights.I flew to Taiwan in January on a round-trip Vancouver-Taipei Air Canada ticket purchased through Expedia. Our return flight in late June has been cancelled by Air Canada, and Expedia says that Air Canada is only offering vouchers for the value of the return portion. But as I understand the current CTA rules--even the watered-down version during the pandemic--Air Canada is still obligated to rebook on a partner airline if possible. EVA is still flying YVR - TPE direct, and ANA has flights via Tokyo.

So is Air Canada refusing to rebook when a partner alternative is still available? I haven't called AC directly yet--their website says that any Expedia bookings must be handled through Expedia--but I'll try that next if Expedia won't budge. Failing that, we may have to buy a new one-way ticket and submit a complaint to the CTA.

Incidentally, neither AC nor Expedia contacted us when the flight was cancelled, we just happened to find out through news reports...
bar_foo is offline  
Old May 13, 20, 9:23 am
  #1655  
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE MM, DL PM, WS Silver, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium, Hilton/Radisson Gold, Accor Silver
Posts: 14,940
Originally Posted by bar_foo View Post
A question about how AC is handling passengers on cancelled flights.I flew to Taiwan in January on a round-trip Vancouver-Taipei Air Canada ticket purchased through Expedia. Our return flight in late June has been cancelled by Air Canada, and Expedia says that Air Canada is only offering vouchers for the value of the return portion. But as I understand the current CTA rules--even the watered-down version during the pandemic--Air Canada is still obligated to rebook on a partner airline if possible. EVA is still flying YVR - TPE direct, and ANA has flights via Tokyo.
With this being your first post, welcome to FT

Yes, if you still want to travel, AC is obligated to try to re-book you under its schedule change policy. If Expedia says otherwise, they're wrong.

So is Air Canada refusing to rebook when a partner alternative is still available?
I don't believe anyone else here has reported AC being unwilling to re-book them.

I haven't called AC directly yet--their website says that any Expedia bookings must be handled through Expedia--but I'll try that next if Expedia won't budge. Failing that, we may have to buy a new one-way ticket and submit a complaint to the CTA.
AC likely will keep sneding you back to Expedia, as they're quite reluctant to touch TA bookings. Keep pushing on Expedia. If you're having trouble with them, maybe even try conferencing in someone from AC Reservations while you're on the phone with Expedia.

Incidentally, neither AC nor Expedia contacted us when the flight was cancelled, we just happened to find out through news reports...
You can mostly thank Expedia for that. AC has gotten quite good lately about notifying of schedule changes/cancellations. One tip for the future would be to install the AC mobile app. Even if you don't get an e-mail notification because you booked through an OTA, you should still get a notification from the app.
Adam Smith is offline  
Old May 13, 20, 11:43 am
  #1656  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Edmonton/Calgary/Vancouver
Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Posts: 1,203
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
They're only "accelerating the retirement" of the 319s (both rouge and mainline). There are still plenty kicking around the fleet and that will certainly be the case for a while. No reason they can't use a 319, rouge or mainline, to run the BOG route this summer.



Agreed on the 220, and on the small number of 788s. The 330 might be too much for the BOG route if traffic is down much though.
Bogota now doesn't start until June 24th and is a mainline 788 for the first few weeks. Suspect the remainder of the dates will switch over as well depending on whether the route actually restarts.
EdmFlyBoi is offline  
Old May 13, 20, 3:35 pm
  #1657  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 352
YYC's continued bad luck with the Canadian airlines keeps on rolling. AC appears to have further suspended YYC-FRA until June 24. This means YYC won't have a single scheduled passenger flight outside of Canada/USA in nearly three months.
hollywoodcory17 is offline  
Old May 13, 20, 3:42 pm
  #1658  
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE MM, DL PM, WS Silver, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium, Hilton/Radisson Gold, Accor Silver
Posts: 14,940
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory17 View Post
YYC's continued bad luck with the Canadian airlines keeps on rolling. AC appears to have further suspended YYC-FRA until June 24. This means YYC won't have a single scheduled passenger flight outside of Canada/USA in nearly three months.
I think that was in the previous round of suspensions.

I'm booked to fly YYC-LHR a few days after it's scheduled to resume, but not holding out much hope for either that or the FRA flight to actually come back. As long as travel remains restricted and quarantines remain in place, there's not much point in going anywhere.
Adam Smith is offline  
Old May 13, 20, 3:57 pm
  #1659  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 352
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
I think that was in the previous round of suspensions.

I'm booked to fly YYC-LHR a few days after it's scheduled to resume, but not holding out much hope for either that or the FRA flight to actually come back. As long as travel remains restricted and quarantines remain in place, there's not much point in going anywhere.
It was still open for reservation from June 1 yesterday. I feel like only one of them will actually be back if either at all.

I would venture to say YYC has been the worst affected of the big 4 airports, seeing how typically there would have 10-12 total long haul routes in the summer, but its hacked down to virtually nothing. YYZ / YUL and YVR have all managed to maintain a decent amount of international service.
hollywoodcory17 is offline  
Old May 13, 20, 4:11 pm
  #1660  
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE MM, DL PM, WS Silver, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium, Hilton/Radisson Gold, Accor Silver
Posts: 14,940
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi View Post
Bogota now doesn't start until June 24th and is a mainline 788 for the first few weeks. Suspect the remainder of the dates will switch over as well depending on whether the route actually restarts.
So how many of the 8 788s have they now committed? A lot of these routes are less than daily, so they could handle more than 8 routes, but I feel like they may be piling up more than that little sub-fleet can actually handle.

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory17 View Post
It was still open for reservation from June 1 yesterday. I feel like only one of them will actually be back if either at all.

I would venture to say YYC has been the worst affected of the big 4 airports, seeing how typically there would have 10-12 total long haul routes in the summer, but its hacked down to virtually nothing. YYZ / YUL and YVR have all managed to maintain a decent amount of international service.
It may have been bookable on the website, but didn't the schedule page say it was also off until June 24th, like LHR?

YYC is particularly hard-hit because we're the smallest of the four hubs, and the oil patch is also an absolute wreck right now.

One of the things that surprises me is that the YYC-LHR flight is still scheduled on a 77W for when it does resume.
Adam Smith is offline  
Old May 13, 20, 9:26 pm
  #1661  
 
Join Date: May 2020
Programs: United Mileage Plus
Posts: 2
Thanks! I'll keep pushing on Expedia, quoting chapter-and-verse if need be. And good idea about conference calling with AC (if we can reach anyone there).

Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
With this being your first post, welcome to FT
You can mostly thank Expedia for that. AC has gotten quite good lately about notifying of schedule changes/cancellations. One tip for the future would be to install the AC mobile app. Even if you don't get an e-mail notification because you booked through an OTA, you should still get a notification from the app.
Yes, Expedia's website is still not showing the leg as cancelled, though the agent could see that it was. And I do have the trip in the AC Android app, but there's no indication of the cancellation within the app, only when clicking "Change" does it take you to a page that displays the cancellation.
bar_foo is offline  
Old May 13, 20, 9:29 pm
  #1662  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 352
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
It may have been bookable on the website, but didn't the schedule page say it was also off until June 24th, like LHR?

YYC is particularly hard-hit because we're the smallest of the four hubs, and the oil patch is also an absolute wreck right now.

One of the things that surprises me is that the YYC-LHR flight is still scheduled on a 77W for when it does resume.
The suspension page still says until May 31, and June frequencies are 4x weekly. LHR says "1 flight per day starting June 24".
hollywoodcory17 is offline  
Old May 14, 20, 3:37 pm
  #1663  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: BOS
Programs: AS 100K, UA G, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Posts: 546
Has the BOS-YYC seasonal service been cancelled for 2020? AC Route Updates page says "postponed". Anyone know if postponed until 2021 or just later in the season? Inventory was removed in the last week or two.

Planning a BOS-YYC-YVR trip for early September and would rather stay with AC for all legs.
joachimm is offline  
Old May 14, 20, 4:38 pm
  #1664  
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE MM, DL PM, WS Silver, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium, Hilton/Radisson Gold, Accor Silver
Posts: 14,940
Originally Posted by joachimm View Post
Has the BOS-YYC seasonal service been cancelled for 2020? AC Route Updates page says "postponed". Anyone know if postponed until 2021 or just later in the season? Inventory was removed in the last week or two.

Planning a BOS-YYC-YVR trip for early September and would rather stay with AC for all legs.
It was only supposed to be a very short seasonal service, scheduled to end on or right after Labour Day. I was booked on one of the last flights, if not the last one, and it has been cancelled.and I've been re-booked via YUL. So when they say "postponed", the translation would be "cancelled, and maybe we'll launch it at some point in the future, but no guarantees".
Adam Smith is offline  
Old May 15, 20, 11:45 am
  #1665  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: YQR
Programs: no status
Posts: 993
AC Covid Cancellation Policy

I am considering a trip to Germany (FRA) in October, but it seems that AC does not have a revised cancellation policy similar to WestJet. I would not be interested in travelling if restrictions like quarantine for international travellers were still in effect at that time (which is quite likely). Can someone confirm that on AC the fare still determines cancellation policy and penalties?

A bit of background to this trip: I was supposed to be in Germany right now to visit my 85 year old mother, had booked with Westjet via CDG and intended to spend a few June days in Paris. So now I have the value of this trip in the WS travelbank, and could re-book into October but have lost interest in the Paris visit and hassles of train travel to Germany. Still if I book with WS and cancel, then the refund would go just back into the travelbank. The AC standard fare to FRA is about 50% higher than WS but it looks like they don't have a travelbank approach for covid related cancellations. So I am really torn between the options.
Merlin666 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread