Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we dont rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Old May 8, 2020, 11:00 am

Programs: AC 50K *G, Honors Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I'm still waiting for a refund of the taxes/fees from a ticket I cancelled February 24th. Others have reported getting them somewhat quicker, but you haven't even been two weeks. Expect to wait a while.
Thank you for the quick reply, Adam. I appreciate it I hope I can be patient as you.
Old May 8, 2020, 11:29 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Gold, DL PM, WS Plat, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
We were having a discussion in this thread or another recently about loads and in-flight experience. Seems some people aren't too thrilled about planes being packed: https://globalnews.ca/news/6915723/e...ight-covid-19/
Old May 8, 2020, 11:44 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by beanie72
What is the average turn around time for the refund of taxes and fees on AE reward ticket cancellations? I cancelled my wife's ticket on April 28th and nothing is showing up on my cc yet. I know they said it can take 1 or 2 billing cycles but in the past it has been quick.

Any advice would be appreciated
​​​​​​You"re right, in the past it has been quick. 24-48hrs

I cancelled a trip Monday after it became obvious that the A220 to SJC wasn't happenning . They told me even as Super Elite, the refund dept for taxes/fees is running a 4 to 6 weeks backlog.
​​​​​​
Old May 8, 2020, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
And that is true, but the way you said it could lead someone to believe they CANNOT get a refund from AC.

I foresee a DOT enforcement notice (or whatever they call it) in the near future. That would at least handle the US side of things.
The next step for the DOT is that they will look at issues that generate many complaints, then start talking to the relevant airlines and fine them or take other punitive measures if they won't comply.
Old May 8, 2020, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Since Mikey Mike Mike 's flight seems to be Canada-UK, yes, we can probably set aside th US DOT talk for the moment.

Easiest thing to do is just file a chargeback with the card issuer and cite refusal to refund per EU261 rules. I've already been successful with that (not against AC, but other airlines) several times in this mess. No need to file any EU complaint or anything like that.

Of course, Mikey Mike Mike's flight hasn't yet been cancelled, and unless and until it is, he would be dependent on AC's policy for voluntary cancellations if he chooses not to travel.
For EC261 related complaints that involve Air Canada and UK airports, you file your complaint with the CDRL. They are the ones who handle Air Canada as well as other airlines:

https://www.cdrl.org.uk/

https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Res...te-resolution/
Old May 8, 2020, 12:49 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Gold, DL PM, WS Plat, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
For EC261 related complaints that involve Air Canada and UK airports, you file your complaint with the CDRL. They are the ones who handle Air Canada as well as other airlines:

https://www.cdrl.org.uk/

https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Res...te-resolution/
Yes, I posted that in post #1605.
Old May 8, 2020, 1:48 pm

YYC is having no luck with either Canadian airline this summer. Only FRA & LHR are left scheduled in June (for now).

Never imagined there would be a time when AA would have more Transborder flights out of YYC then AC & WS combined.
Old May 8, 2020, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory17
Never imagined there would be a time when AA would have more Transborder flights out of YYC then AC & WS combined.
That formula also applies to YVR, YYZ and YUL this month.
Old May 8, 2020, 10:46 pm

Go figure that AC would cancel the YVR-ANC-YVR and YVR-YYZ legs of my YYZ-ANC roundtrip J award booking for August right after the mileage sale. Do I need to request the refund of the award booking myself or is it automatic?

How likely does a YYZ-YVR-YYJ roundtrip in Y seem for August?
Old May 8, 2020, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
why does that website link to "china-travel"? Did they not bother updating the link since there were only cases in china?

... of course
Old May 9, 2020, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Schweden
Go figure that AC would cancel the YVR-ANC-YVR and YVR-YYZ legs of my YYZ-ANC roundtrip J award booking for August right after the mileage sale. Do I need to request the refund of the award booking myself or is it automatic?
You need to request it.

How likely does a YYZ-YVR-YYJ roundtrip in Y seem for August?
Very likely you'll be able to complete the trip, although quite possible they tweak the schedule again and your flights end up being different than what you book now.

Originally Posted by Smiley90
why does that website link to "china-travel"? Did they not bother updating the link since there were only cases in china?
No, they did not.
Old May 9, 2020, 1:41 am

Looks like the A220 SJC-YYZ new route launch is a victim of the coronavirus. No direct flights are showing up in search results well into the future. Postponed indefinitely I suppose; doesn't make sense to keep it bookable for any time soon.
Old May 9, 2020, 4:13 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Looks like TPE is zeroed out for winter even though the cancelation page shows it resuming in late October?
Old May 9, 2020, 10:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by beanie72
Sorry for my question if it has been asked already however I didn't feel like going through 107 pages of messages and when I searched, nothing came up.

What is the average turn around time for the refund of taxes and fees on AE reward ticket cancellations? I cancelled my wife's ticket on April 28th and nothing is showing up on my cc yet. I know they said it can take 1 or 2 billing cycles but in the past it has been quick.

Any advice would be appreciated
i got the points back immediately after the call. Taxes etc within 2 days on the credit card. Bonus AE agent was wonderful to deal with.
Old May 9, 2020, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
Thanks for all the advice on my YYZ to London tickets. (especially ChrisA330 for the kind words)

I guess the added twist now (can't see it lasting long and talk about shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted!) is a 14 day compulsory quarantine on arrival in the uk which would make my 5 day trip a 19 day trip. (given the UK is THE hotspot in Europe) as is the US - coming from there makes sense but not from Canada.
We'll reflect on it for a few days, but I can see the UK government coming under tremendous pressure to lift or modify the 14 days. (all biz trips are off!)

We will be travelling in the winter for my partner's 50th to South America and so a full credit is perfect as we're confident we'd use it. I don't need the cash right now, but certainty around my trip is priceless right now.

Thanks again

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.