Search

How Reliable is ExpertFlyer?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by capedreamer
This is indeed about eUps.

If I search SFO-AMS, EF indeed shows this for AC756: J9 C9 D0 Z0 P0 R0 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W4 G0 S0 T0 L0 A0 K0

But as @Adam Smith suggested, I also thought segment-by-segment availability is what matters (this is what a Concierge agent confirmed to me last time as well and ultimately somehow pushed through my upgrade). But today, multiple agents advised they see no P or Z space even just searching SFO-YYZ, whereas I see plenty through EF.

@canadiancow This is a Latitude AMS-SFO round trip (all legs in B). I mentioned D being the lowest fare class available because that's apparently what the AC agents see.
I suspect you're running into the age-old problem of it wanting R. I also suspect that you're saying something like "I only need P and there's P", and they're doing an SFO-AMS search, which as EF confirms, comes back P0.

I'd just email the concierge, reference ACPedia #whatever , and ask for them too get it pushed through.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:35 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
But as @Adam Smith suggested, I also thought segment-by-segment availability is what matters (this is what a Concierge agent confirmed to me last time as well and ultimately somehow pushed through my upgrade). But today, multiple agents advised they see no P or Z space even just searching SFO-YYZ, whereas I see plenty through EF.

@canadiancow This is a Latitude AMS-SFO round trip (all legs in B). I mentioned D being the lowest fare class available because that's apparently what the AC agents see.
What happens if you go on ac.com and try to buy a ticket for SFO-YYZ? Will it sell you a P fare? I once had a similar situation where I saw P1 on EF but the AC phone agent insisted the flight was P0, and continued to insist it even when I said that the website would sell me the P fare. She said the website wasn't live and it wouldn't actually go through, and was only convinced after I actually bought it (and saw P go from 1 to 0 on EF), at which point she went and talked to NRD or whoever and got the upgrade done (I just cancelled after I had proved the point). I don't know exactly what they did or found when she put me on hold, but my purchasing the P fare on the website was what convinced her to go actually do some work on it.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:43 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That's not how married segments or O/D availability work.
It appears that way from what I posted above. The only class that changed between the two AC segments is R availability, which does appear to be segment by segment.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K
I suspect you're running into the age-old problem of it wanting R. I also suspect that you're saying something like "I only need P and there's P", and they're doing an SFO-AMS search, which as EF confirms, comes back P0.

I'd just email the concierge, reference ACPedia #whatever , and ask for them too get it pushed through.
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
What happens if you go on ac.com and try to buy a ticket for SFO-YYZ? Will it sell you a P fare? I once had a similar situation where I saw P1 on EF but the AC phone agent insisted the flight was P0, and continued to insist it even when I said that the website would sell me the P fare. She said the website wasn't live and it wouldn't actually go through, and was only convinced after I actually bought it (and saw P go from 1 to 0 on EF), at which point she went and talked to NRD or whoever and got the upgrade done (I just cancelled after I had proved the point). I don't know exactly what they did or found when she put me on hold, but my purchasing the P fare on the website was what convinced her to go actually do some work on it.
I am able to see P fare on AC.com. Got another Concierge agent on the phone. Initially, he gave me the same line about his system showing no availability below D. I asked him first to confirm that (1) P space is sufficient to confirm an upgrade from B and (2) he also see the P availability on AC.com.

At first, he said 'yes' to #1 but 'no' to #2 , and insisted that I needed to clear my cache and cookies, blah blah. After much back and forth, he realized he was looking at Feb 22 instead of Mar 22. Then he confirmed he also see P space on AC.com called the NRD and got the upgrade confirmed in 2 minutes.

This is insane. No 'normal' customer should be expected to go to these lengths to receive something they're rightfully owed.

Thanks for all the help, @Adam Smith and @canadiancow.
flyingcrooked likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 4:00 pm

I am able to see P fare on AC.com. Got another Concierge agent on the phone. Initially, he gave me the same line about his system showing no availability below D. I asked him first to confirm that (1) P space is sufficient to confirm an upgrade from B and (2) he also see the P availability on AC.com.

At first, he said 'yes' to #1 but 'no' to #2 , and insisted that I needed to clear my cache and cookies, blah blah. After much back and forth, he realized he was looking at Feb 22 instead of Mar 22. Then he confirmed he also see P space on AC.com called the NRD and got the upgrade confirmed in 2 minutes.

This is insane. No 'normal' customer should be expected to go to these lengths to receive something they're rightfully owed.

Thanks for all the help, @Adam Smith and @canadiancow
Wow.

To be fair though, nowhere do they advertise that you only need P (or actually Z in this case) for Latitude eUps.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K
Wow.

To be fair though, nowhere do they advertise that you only need P (or actually Z in this case) for Latitude eUps.
Wasn't there an old page on AC.com that did? I thought there was one (but know it's gone now).
Old Feb 20, 2020, 4:07 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
It appears that way from what I posted above. The only class that changed between the two AC segments is R availability, which does appear to be segment by segment.
That's not the case - availability can differ between the legs, especially when multiple carriers are involved. But I will say that recently AC seems to show much more highly correlated inventory between married segments than in the past, i.e. a lot fewer instances of seeing something like J5 ... P2 R0 on leg 1 and J1 ... P0 R0 on leg 2. I wonder whether this is due to the Amadeus transition.

What a pain, but glad you were able to get this resolved

Wow.

As capedreamer pointed out, they certainly used to advertise this benefit. And do you think that removal of that was intentional, or perhaps a case of miscommunication/mismanagement of the website?
capedreamer likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 4:21 pm

As capedreamer pointed out, they certainly used to advertise this benefit. And do you think that removal of that was intentional, or perhaps a case of miscommunication/mismanagement of the website?
I think it was unintentional, but it also means no one's being tricked into buying something expecting a P/Z upgrade. Hard to argue you're not getting what you paid for when the only public source of that information is on archive.org.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 4:33 pm

I think it was unintentional, but it also means no one's being tricked into buying something expecting a P/Z upgrade. Hard to argue you're not getting what you paid for when the only public source of that information is on archive.org.
I don't know that I'd agree with that. Many of use have been using this benefit for years. I could easily argue that without any notice of the change, it's still reasonable to expect that it's in force. A grey area, perhaps, but not an unreasonable expectation.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 4:44 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
That's not the case - availability can differ between the legs, especially when multiple carriers are involved. But I will say that recently AC seems to show much more highly correlated inventory between married segments than in the past, i.e. a lot fewer instances of seeing something like J5 ... P2 R0 on leg 1 and J1 ... P0 R0 on leg 2. I wonder whether this is due to the Amadeus transition.
Pretty sure I referenced multiple carriers above!

"This is the case if both segments are AC. They will show separately if you are on another carrier for the 2nd segment."

I have noted in the past that married pairs do not always show the same availability for each segment (ie M0 when searched together, but M1 for each segment when searched individually.) This was beneficial when using a UFP, but I am not sure if this discrepancy has been fixed.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 10:50 pm

Is Expert Flyer Ever Wrong?

Is Expert Flyer Ever Wrong? Is there a better tool to use?

LAX-YYZ on April 24 - AC 792
Expert Flyer showing R1 but I have called AC multiple times and even talked to a supervisor
They insist there is no R space...

Any thoughts?
Old Apr 17, 2023, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by llbean
Is Expert Flyer Ever Wrong?
Not really. I even posted a case upthread where EF was right and the agent's screen was wrong.

Is there a better tool to use?
No.

LAX-YYZ on April 24 - AC 792
Expert Flyer showing R1 but I have called AC multiple times and even talked to a supervisor
They insist there is no R space...

Any thoughts?
Inventory can differ by point of sale. Sometimes that can be the issue. In this case, both US and Canada PoS show R1. Are you connecting from or to somewhere else and maybe they're looking at inventory on married segments that shows R0?
canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 11:23 pm

Or maybe EF is looking at married R, but eUps are processed segment by segment?
Old Apr 17, 2023, 11:40 pm

Or maybe EF is looking at married R, but eUps are processed segment by segment?
What married R? The only segment @llbean gave was LAX-YYZ
Old Apr 18, 2023, 12:19 am

What married R? The only segment @llbean gave was LAX-YYZ
I agree with that statement.

But searching, as an example of something I've flown in the last 6 months, SFO-LAX-YYZ might not show the same R space as LAX-YYZ.

I've also seen a few anomalies with AC R space in the past week. Not enough to draw any conclusions, but enough to say "make sure you're searching the individual segment".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.