How Reliable is ExpertFlyer?

Old Oct 15, 2019, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K
How Reliable is ExpertFlyer?

This was a first for me so curious if others have encountered. EF was showing AC824 on 11/10 as J9 C9 D9 Z8 P7:

I was booked in B so expecting the upgrade to clear. Instead, eUpgrade site shows no availability and puts me on the waitlist.

I call in and am told that the EF information is inaccurate. Actual availability is apparently J4 Z2 P0.

Has anyone run into EF inaccuracies before?
Old Oct 15, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I have never seen EF out by that much before

It sounds like a date mismatch. If it is J4, if you go to AC.com and try and buy 5 J seats, what happens?
Old Oct 15, 2019, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lcohen999
I have never seen EF out by that much before

It sounds like a date mismatch. If it is J4, if you go to AC.com and try and buy 5 J seats, what happens?
The reason I was not too surprised was because when I searched earlier today, it was in fact J4 P0. But when I looked yesterday, I recall it being something like J8 or J9. So I also assumed I was getting the dates wrong.

And FWIW, it's now showing J8 P0.

Something wonky going on I guess...
Old Oct 15, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I know when EF doesn't parse the data directly, it usually shows 7s for all fare classes

It could be rev management playing with the flights. I would tweet them and see, maybe you found a bug
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: *$ Green
Is your first segment YYZAMS?
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by capedreamer
This was a first for me so curious if others have encountered. EF was showing AC824 on 11/10 as J9 C9 D9 Z8 P7:

I was booked in B so expecting the upgrade to clear. Instead, eUpgrade site shows no availability and puts me on the waitlist.

I call in and am told that the EF information is inaccurate. Actual availability is apparently J4 Z2 P0.

Has anyone run into EF inaccuracies before?
Or simply, probably this, as it happens often that the eUp site cannot be trusted:
The P games
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Or simply, probably this, as it happens often that the eUp site cannot be trusted:
The P games
You could be right.

FWIW, when I called the Concierge line, the very nice agent, after telling me that his system is in fact showing P0, immediately followed up with "but let me see what I can do" and came back after a few minutes of hold music to let me know that he "was able to push it through". Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Don't know what exactly happened but not about to stare the gift horse in the mouth!
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:45 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Unless there is a point of sale different (which you can change in your search) the availability that ExpertFlyer shows is 100% accurate as it is retrieved in real time from the airline reservation systems, the same systems that travel agents use. Make sure married segment logic isn't an issue by searching for the same overall city pair as your trip.

Originally Posted by lcohen999
I know when EF doesn't parse the data directly, it usually shows 7s for all fare classes

It could be rev management playing with the flights. I would tweet them and see, maybe you found a bug
7's for all fare classes is common when the flight is very open as many airlines don't show more than 7 max in a fare class at a time.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I've accidentally held 8 J seats on a flight for 15 minutes. That would easily explain something like this.

There are many things I dislike about EF, but accuracy has never been an issue for me.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
Unless there is a point of sale different (which you can change in your search) the availability that ExpertFlyer shows is 100% accurate as it is retrieved in real time from the airline reservation systems, the same systems that travel agents use. Make sure married segment logic isn't an issue by searching for the same overall city pair as your trip.

7's for all fare classes is common when the flight is very open as many airlines don't show more than 7 max in a fare class at a time.
Thanks for the confirmation! Perhaps it was indeed a married segment issue.

In any case, glad I called in.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Is your first segment YYZAMS?
Thanks for the confirmation! Perhaps it was indeed a married segment issue.

In any case, glad I called in.
So as per SparseFlyer you were connecting in YYZ and onward to AMS?
Old Oct 17, 2019, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
So as per SparseFlyer you were connecting in YYZ and onward to AMS?
Ah yes. I missed SparseFlyer's post.

This is what I see now for AC824 on 11/10, if I search: YYZ-AMS:

J4 C4 D4 Z0 P0 R0 O4 E2 N0 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9

And SFO-YYZ-AMS:

J4 C2 D0 Z0 P0 R0 O4 E0 N0 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9
Old Jan 13, 2020, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Running into a similar issue again: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31947349-post2135.html

EF newbie question.

I’m flying DEL-YVR-YOW on 2/28, booked in B, which is upgradable with P space on AC.

I was waitlisted on DEL-YVR (AC45) and cleared for YVR-YOW. I created a P space alert for AC45 and received an alert that P is now available (latest check says P=2).

But my waitlist didn’t clear so I called AC and they said they still see no P space in their system.

FWIW, if I check DEL-YVR-YOW in EF it indeed shows P=0 on AC45. But DEL-YVR on its own shows P=2. And AC claims their system shows no P availability regardless of DEL-YVR or DEL-YVR-YOW. Is EF ever inaccurate?

Any advice on what I can do in this case?
Any advice from the experts here?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 10:28 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
What point of sale are you using?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
What point of sale are you using?
I’ve tried POS = US, Canada, or India. All the same.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.