Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Master Fleet Changes Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: briguychau
Background

It is intended that this wiki will be updated periodically using new fleet plans from future quarterly disclosures, presentations or press releases by AC, or information from other sources (e.g. Planespotters), and that anyone is free to update the wiki. The data in the wiki is intended to be as up-to-date as possible.

Fleet Evolution Over Time

This spreadsheet contains data on AC's fleet back to 2005, and includes numerous charts that detail the evolution of various types in the fleet from then until the present.

Overview of Current Fleet and Future Plans

Mainline Widebody Fleet

Boeing 777-300ER (77W)
Current: 19
Future plans: no changes planned

Boeing 777-200LR (77L)
Current: 6

Boeing 787-10 (781)
Current: 0
Future plans: 18 aircraft to be delivered between Q4 of 2025 and Q1 of 2027; options for a further 12 aircraft

Boeing 787-9 (789)
Current: 31
Future plans: +1 in 2024

Boeing 787-8 (788)
Current: 8

Airbus A330-300 (333)
Current: 18
Future plans: +2 in 2024

Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

AC has announced plans to acquire 30 A321 XLRs, with deliveries from 2025 to 2027, plus options for 15 additional aircraft with deliveries from 2027 to 2030. See this thread

Airbus A321 (321)
Current: 16

Airbus A320 (320)
Current: 18 (including 4 configured for Jetz)
Future plans: +3 in 2024

Airbus A319 (319)
Current: 7
Future plans: -2 in 2024

Boeing 737-8 (7M8)
Current: 40
Future plans: +5 in 2025
AC holds purchase options for 10 additional aircraft (7M7, 7M8, or 7M9).

Airbus A220-300 (223)
Current: 33
Future plans: +2 in 2024, +7 in 2025, further 18 aircraft on order
AC holds options for 15 additional aircraft.

rouge Narrowbody Fleet

Airbus A321 (321)
Current: 17

Airbus A320 (320)
Current: 5

Airbus A319 (319)
Current: 18

Express Fleet

All regional aircraft are operated by Jazz, with the exception of a small number of DH4s operated by PAL Airlines in Atlantic Canada.

Embraer 175 (E75)
Current: 25

Bombardier CRJ-900 (CR9)
Current: 35

Bombardier CRJ-200 (CRJ)
Current: 15
Future plans: -7 in 2024

Bombardier Q400 (DH4)
Current: 43

The last of the DH3 fleet was retired in early 2022.

AC has announced plans to acquire 30 Heart ES-30 hybrid regional aircraft, with entry in to service in 2028. See this thread

Cargo Fleet

Boeing 767-300F
Current: 8
Future plans: +1 in 2024, +1 in 2025

Sources

Information above is based primarily on the fleet plan in Air Canada's 2023 Q4 MD&A, as of February 16, 2024, with updates based on information from planespotters.net, press releases, and other sources.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Master Fleet Changes Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by smallmj
I wasn't sure if they were 37 or 50 seaters, I guess I'm not a very good plane spotter. Though I did get a really nice long look at the Korean 777F from Highway 118 a few minutes earlier. No pics since I was driving.

I didn't know that they were adding 5 DH3s to the fleet. The Wiki says that they are removing 6 over the next two years. Does that mean that they are retiring 11 of the oldest but adding 5 newer birds?
Thanks for posting the pic, I could only tell because I've spent far too much time on DH3s

This is from another recent thread :
Originally Posted by tracon
The revised fleet plan has Air Canada phasing out 15 Dash 8-100s during the next year, while increasing its Dash 8-300 fleet from 19 to 26 and decreasing its Q400 fleet from 44 to 36.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:43 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by marke190
This is from another recent thread :
If you had followed the next few posts in that thread, you would have seen that this was a mistake by whoever wrote the quoted article at ATW. AC's and Jazz's materials consistently show that the fleet is currently 25 and goes to 19 next year. Sloppy journalism.
marke190 and smallmj like this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Didn't see this posted yet - AC is pulling out of Calgary-Cranbrook, a BHE route: https://www.columbiavalleypioneer.co...k-and-calgary/

In particular, this is interesting:

“Air Canada’s regional flights in Western Canada will be operated exclusively by Jazz as part of our new agreement, and the smaller aircraft currently flying from Cranbrook-Calgary are being phased out of the regional fleet in Western Canada as we begin modernizing the regional fleet,” the statement read.

AC also flies BHEs to Medicine Hat and Lethbridge from YYC. Checking random dates in the fall, looks like some of the Medicine Hat flights are now DH3. It'll be interesting to see how AC responds to these markets now that Westjet Link is in, and the best alternative to BHEs AC will have is DH3s....
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by nave888
Didn't see this posted yet - AC is pulling out of Calgary-Cranbrook, a BHE route: https://www.columbiavalleypioneer.co...k-and-calgary/

“Air Canada’s regional flights in Western Canada will be operated exclusively by Jazz as part of our new agreement, and the smaller aircraft currently flying from Cranbrook-Calgary are being phased out of the regional fleet in Western Canada as we begin modernizing the regional fleet,” the statement read.

AC also flies BHEs to Medicine Hat and Lethbridge from YYC. Checking random dates in the fall, looks like some of the Medicine Hat flights are now DH3. It'll be interesting to see how AC responds to these markets now that Westjet Link is in, and the best alternative to BHEs AC will have is DH3s....
My understanding is that the CPA for BEH out of yyc ends April 30. Looking at timetable on app it looks like most (but not all) flights from May 1 and on now show DH3. Not sure if AC timetable is now fully updated or not. I suppose it is possible that AC could keep a couple ggn flights a day to YQL/YXH so as not to completely gut their frequency as the DH3 has more than double the seats as the BEH.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:45 am

Programs: SE 100K
Originally Posted by nave888

Being based in YXC right now this is a bit disappointing.
Small market, but still interesting they are essentially just conceding YXC - YYC to Westjet Link, as well as any ongoing connections.
I guess there's always been more connecting traffic for AC through YVR anyways.

Last edited by CanadianMike; Feb 20, 2019 at 12:58 am
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
With 50 Maxes and 45 A220 coming online (although the small Airbus will join slowly), it seems the A321’s will be around for a while. Since the Airbus widebodies are getting an update, is there a plan to bring the interior of at least the A321 up to the newer standard?
marke190 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:42 am

Programs: SQ/CX
With the 767s retiring, I wonder if AC9 Toronto-Calgary sector will be replaced soon
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Looks like a few more "casualties" of the Express reorg:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...cuts-1.5033562

Air Canada is ending YWG-YQT/YXE, and going down to a single daily YQR-YWG. Not as interesting as reading about YUL-GRU or YVR-AKL, but for someone who hops around the prairies all the time, its sad news.

Its almost a little funny - it was just a few years ago that WJ was at a disadvantage to AC because they didn't have any planes small enough to offer reasonable frequencies out here, but since encore took off, AC seems to really be losing ground to WJ on the prairies, especially in SK. For example, this summer, AC will have 3 daily YQR-YYC flights, while Westjet will have 7. Westjet will have 3 on YQR-YEG, and AC will have 0.
The Lev and Fiordland like this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:59 pm

Cutting YWG-YQT effectively concedes the vast majority of western Canadian traffic to WS. Sure, AC will sell a ticket through YYZ, but that's quite a lot of additional flying that most people would likely avoid.
respectable_man likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Ending YWG-YQT is very surprising.
Old May 5, 2019, 9:26 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by makin'miles
Cutting YWG-YQT effectively concedes the vast majority of western Canadian traffic to WS. Sure, AC will sell a ticket through YYZ, but that's quite a lot of additional flying that most people would likely avoid.
Cutting one flight a day on a Dash is not conceding "the vast majority" of anything. This route has been dieing slow for the last 30 years. The lake head ties to WPG sales regions are not very strong these days.
Old May 6, 2019, 4:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Originally Posted by 5mm
Cutting one flight a day on a Dash is not conceding "the vast majority" of anything. This route has been dieing slow for the last 30 years. The lake head ties to WPG sales regions are not very strong these days.
I'm sure thay AC's horribly early 0500 sole flight, with a return landing at like 0040 did not exactly look appealing to many compared to WS's (multiple) more reasonable times. It always seemed like nothing more than a concenient place to overnight planes to me.
Old May 6, 2019, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by D404
I'm sure thay AC's horribly early 0500 sole flight, with a return landing at like 0040 did not exactly look appealing to many compared to WS's (multiple) more reasonable times. It always seemed like nothing more than a concenient place to overnight planes to me.
Exactly. I have business calls at YQT and YWG. Those ridiculous arrival and departure times to and from YWG precludes me using that service.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: AC 35k
Domestically, AC is weak in the west except YVR. WS has more options, with larger planes, with greater frequencies.
Old May 6, 2019, 9:18 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by D404
Back in the day, the early morning flights were always sold out in both direction on all 3 airlines flying that route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.