Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada to Acquire 30 ES-30 Electric Regional Aircraft from Heart Aerospace

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2022, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE

Looks like AC is going electric.

https://media.aircanada.com/2022-09-...eart-Aerospace

Air Canada today announced a purchase agreement for 30 ES-30 electric-hybrid aircraft under development by Heart Aerospace of Sweden. The revolutionary regional aircraft, expected to enter service in 2028, will generate zero emissions flying on battery power and yield significant operational savings and benefits. Under the agreement, Air Canada has also acquired a US$5 million equity stake in Heart Aerospace.
Bobert59 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 6:24 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Bizarre. At 200 km range on batteries, it's pretty much just good for the YVR-Vancouver Island routes. Or they'll be burning a bunch of fuel inefficiently to fly a little farther.

AC has also gotten completely out of the <50-seat market in recent years, and significantly cut back on 50-seat aircraft. So a 30-seater is an odd fit.

I'm very interested to see what the total CO2 emissions will look like when including the emissions from generating the power. It's all well and good for AC to say the plane itself doesn't generate any emissions, which is technically true, but electricity is not emissions-free.

I wonder how much of this purchase will be paid for out of the PR budget vs truly being an economic aircraft to operate.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 6:27 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Bizarre. At 200 km range on batteries, it's pretty much just good for the YVR-Vancouver Island routes. Or they'll be burning a bunch of fuel inefficiently to fly a little farther.
Maybe they can fly Drake YHM-YYZ
Old Sep 15, 2022, 6:37 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Sounds like ideal DH1 replacement on YYZ - YXU route. Perhaps I won't have to spent much time in the zoo called 401 after all.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 7:04 am

Programs: air miles
This aircraft would seem better suited for the AC Express regional fleet. I'm not aware but is aircraft acquisition different for AC Express vs mainline AC?

Also I see that AC has taken a $5million stake in the company so it may have be an investment component to it.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 7:06 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy1978
This aircraft would seem better suited for the AC Express regional fleet. I'm not aware but is aircraft acquisition different for AC Express vs mainline AC?
AC actually owns, or is the original lessee, on a bunch of the Express fleet, which it then leases/sub-leases to Jazz.

Likely to be the same with these.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 7:28 am

Wouldn't YOW-YUL be an obvious candidate route? With a side-benefit of cheap (cleanish) Quebec electricity
Old Sep 15, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Have they solved the battery temperature issues? Current Hybrid and electric vehicles lose between 25 and 40% of their nominal energy storage at cold temperatures.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 8:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
Have they solved the battery temperature issues? Current Hybrid and electric vehicles lose between 25 and 40% of their nominal energy storage at cold temperatures.
It's not really relevant.

China opened a record amount of coal fired power generation capacity last year, and are on track to double that this.

The onus is on us in the West to do what we can to offset at least a tiny fraction of that massive new CO output, regardless of cost or practicalities.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 8:45 am

AC has also gotten completely out of the <50-seat market in recent years, and significantly cut back on 50-seat aircraft. So a 30-seater is an odd fit.

I'm very interested to see what the total CO2 emissions will look like when including the emissions from generating the power. It's all well and good for AC to say the plane itself doesn't generate any emissions, which is technically true, but electricity is not emissions-free.

I wonder how much of this purchase will be paid for out of the PR budget vs truly being an economic aircraft to operate.

From ES-30 | Heart Aerospace (so, you know, completely unbiased ) emissions reductions are "over 50% reduction per seat compared to 50-seats turboprops on longer sectors". Canada's electricity emissions intensity is far lower than global averages, particularly in QC and BC, but even in AB there should be substantial emissions reductions on e.g. YEG-YYC

As for being "economic" I think it depends how you measure it - let me know when someone figures out accurate 6 yr fuel vs electricity forecasts. But I know an increasing number of people who are reducing their flying because of CO2 concerns (even though fuel use in litres/100km per seat flying is lower than 1 person driving alone)
Old Sep 15, 2022, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Ghoulish

China opened a record amount of coal fired power generation capacity last year, and are on track to double that this.

The onus is on us in the West to do what we can to offset at least a tiny fraction of that massive new CO output, regardless of cost or practicalities.
Its not that relevant because you can put the batteries in the heated part of the fuselage.

China also installed more wind generation than the rest of the world combined in 2021, and in August 2022, over 30% of all new vehicle sales were NEV...
bigev007 and Bobert59 like this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 8:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by yeg2where
From ES-30 | Heart Aerospace (so, you know, completely unbiased ) emissions reductions are "over 50% reduction per seat compared to 50-seats turboprops on longer sectors". Canada's electricity emissions intensity is far lower than global averages, particularly in QC and BC, but even in AB there should be substantial emissions reductions on e.g. YEG-YYC

As for being "economic" I think it depends how you measure it - let me know when someone figures out accurate 6 yr fuel vs electricity forecasts. But I know an increasing number of people who are reducing their flying because of CO2 concerns (even though fuel use in litres/100km per seat flying is lower than 1 person driving alone)
Lets not forget that while Canada is rich in hydroelectric generation, there is no spare, unused capacity. Shortfalls, which grow with increased electricity use, are compensated for by standby fossil fuel plants, often at great distances with large transmission losses.
vancouver25k likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 8:52 am

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Definitely not going to be feasible on most of the short AC Express routes (save for Vancouver Island, some parts of Ontario, etc.) unless TC amends the fuel reserve requirements in the CARs (Canadian Aviation Regulations).

As an example, the other day, a DH4 flying YHZ-YYT was unable to land in YYT so went all the way back to YHZ. The ability to return to the origin airport will not be possible on many routes that this plane could fly.
expert7700 and H8tofly like this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 8:54 am
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold

If it ends up mostly flying in BC there will be very minimal CO2 emissions from the electricity needed to charge it. BC has a ton of hydro power which has very low lifetime CO2/kwh emissions. Quebec and Ontario also have quite green forms of power generation.
canopus27 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 8:59 am

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by Ghoulish

Spent close to half my life in a second/thirdish world country. Been there, done that, contributed more than my fair share to the climate fight.
You want to live in a yurt and cuddle with your goat to keep warm in January (what it would really take to meet federal carbon goals), knock yourself out.

Me? I'm here for the party!

This plane will be 10 times more useless than a Nissan Leaf.

But .. ESG.

​​​​

​​​​
pfreet, EAJuggalo and H8tofly like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.