Air Canada getting 26 A321 XLR

Old Mar 22, 2022, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada 50K - Hilton Diamond - Marriott Platinum
Air Canada getting 26 A321 XLR

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2022...Range-Aircraft
Deliveries are to begin in the first quarter of 2024 with the final aircraft to arrive in the first quarter of 2027. Fifteen of the aircraft will be leased from Air Lease Corporation, five will be leased from AerCap and six are being acquired under a purchase agreement with Airbus S.A.S. that includes purchase rights to acquire an additional 14 of the aircraft between 2027 and 2030.
N830MH and YULRvR like this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 6:30 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
And theyll have lie flats. Do we expect some of the lesser used TATL routes to use these? Are they opening more routes? Is this just about less wide body TCON flights? Maybe they see potential to add new TCON without having to route through YYZ or YUL.
YULRvR and Diabeetus like this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 6:30 am

Programs: AC 35K, M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Aselwyn
Deliveries are to begin in the first quarter of 2024 with the final aircraft to arrive in the first quarter of 2027. Fifteen of the aircraft will be leased from Air Lease Corporation, five will be leased from AerCap and six are being acquired under a purchase agreement with Airbus S.A.S. that includes purchase rights to acquire an additional 14 of the aircraft between 2027 and 2030.
I was just about to create a thread for this, but you beat me to it. This is the best news!! I love the A321 and especially the NEO.

Super happy that the new aircraft will have proper signature class seats, though I don't understand why they didn't do this with some of the MAX that were acquired given that they had been using them for some TATL flights pre-COVID.
milski, rafi2k6 and Aselwyn like this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 6:33 am

Programs: AC 35K, M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
And theyll have lie flats. Do we expect some of the lesser used TATL routes to use these? Are they opening more routes? Is this just about less wide body TCON flights? Maybe they see potential to add new TCON without having to route through YYZ or YUL.
I predict that YHZ-LHR, YYZ-SNN, and the former flight to Bordeaux will utilize these aircraft (if the latter two routes resume). YHZ-LHR is coming back this summer, though I am not sure what is going to happen to some of the other pre-COVID MAX routes.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 6:35 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Originally Posted by Aselwyn

Curious on the seats! 14J and 168Y on AC.

AerLingus is 16/168, TAP is 16/155, and JetBlue is 16/143
Old Mar 22, 2022, 6:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
And they’ll have lie flats. Do we expect some of the “lesser used” TATL routes to use these? Are they opening more routes? Is this just about less wide body TCON flights? Maybe they see potential to add new TCON without having to route through YYZ or YUL.
Presumably...

All Transcon flight such as LAX, SFO and potentially SEA/SAN/PHX as well as non-wide body flights to YYC/YEG/YVR and potentially YYJ. Select Caribbean markets such as BGI/UVF/ANU, etc. Maintaining year round European Service to routes which see a seasonal suspension such as LIS/FCO/BCN/MAN/EDI etc. YHZ/YYT/YOW to LHR a long overdue YQB-CDG and expanded European markets. Great and exciting choice!
Old Mar 22, 2022, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada 50K - Hilton Diamond - Marriott Platinum
i would expect these to take over all the old Rouge routes some probably will stay mainline allow for expansion of routes. things like Nice or Budapest that are not currently running.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 7:54 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
If they replace the MAX on YHZ-LHR I will be very, very, very happy.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 8:20 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
When I read the headline, I thought "OH NO!". It'll be Rouge 763 PY seats TATL all over again.

I'm excited and relieved to see that lie flat seats will be used.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Interesting development! I wonder what the implications will be for flights to or out of YVR? I'm not a fan of AC's 737 Max!
milski, rafi2k6, AJchang and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 9:45 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Gold, DL PM, WS Plat, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Interesting development. Nice that they'll have the lie-flats. I hope we'll see these used mainly on TATLs that were MAX/rouge 763 in the past and new routes. While it would be nice to have them over other narrowbodies on TCONs, for 4 hours, a recliner isn't so bad. Although at 26 aircraft, it's a pretty decent-sized fleet.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Can only imagine what routes these will reopen or open for AC across the Atlantic (worth its own thread?). May also see these on the YEG/YYC-YYZ/YUL transcons.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by briantoronto

Ugh. Remember the slave ship HD 77W’s?

Is this the slave boat a321?
Old Mar 22, 2022, 10:49 am

Programs: AeroPlan
Originally Posted by bakersdozen
Ugh. Remember the slave ship HD 77Ws?

Is this the slave boat a321?
It should at least have more shoulder room. Though of course AC could mess that up with their seat selection.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 11:01 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by briantoronto

JetBlue has 16 J seats on the Mint A321's. The LR's have 24 J seats and are 1-1 herringbone rather than the alternating 2-2. 1-1. 2-2. 1-1. 2-2. I would reckon AC is going to choose a seat that is 1-1 and gives them 7 rows of herringbone or reverse herringbone style seats to keep them consistent with the wide body fleet. There are quite a few options on the market that AC could use. Although the Super Diamond seat hasn't been put in a narrow body aircraft, they can fit 4 across in an A330, so 2 across in an A321 should be workable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.