Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Master Fleet Changes Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: briguychau
Background

It is intended that this wiki will be updated periodically using new fleet plans from future quarterly disclosures, presentations or press releases by AC, or information from other sources (e.g. Planespotters), and that anyone is free to update the wiki. The data in the wiki is intended to be as up-to-date as possible.

Fleet Evolution Over Time

This spreadsheet contains data on AC's fleet back to 2005, and includes numerous charts that detail the evolution of various types in the fleet from then until the present.

Overview of Current Fleet and Future Plans

Mainline Widebody Fleet

Boeing 777-300ER (77W)
Current: 19
Future plans: no changes planned

Boeing 777-200LR (77L)
Current: 6

Boeing 787-10 (781)
Current: 0
Future plans: 18 aircraft to be delivered between Q4 of 2025 and Q1 of 2027; options for a further 12 aircraft

Boeing 787-9 (789)
Current: 31
Future plans: +1 in 2024

Boeing 787-8 (788)
Current: 8

Airbus A330-300 (333)
Current: 18
Future plans: +2 in 2024

Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

AC has announced plans to acquire 30 A321 XLRs, with deliveries from 2025 to 2027, plus options for 15 additional aircraft with deliveries from 2027 to 2030. See this thread

Airbus A321 (321)
Current: 16

Airbus A320 (320)
Current: 18 (including 4 configured for Jetz)
Future plans: +3 in 2024

Airbus A319 (319)
Current: 7
Future plans: -2 in 2024

Boeing 737-8 (7M8)
Current: 40
Future plans: +5 in 2025
AC holds purchase options for 10 additional aircraft (7M7, 7M8, or 7M9).

Airbus A220-300 (223)
Current: 33
Future plans: +2 in 2024, +7 in 2025, further 18 aircraft on order
AC holds options for 15 additional aircraft.

rouge Narrowbody Fleet

Airbus A321 (321)
Current: 17

Airbus A320 (320)
Current: 5

Airbus A319 (319)
Current: 18

Express Fleet

All regional aircraft are operated by Jazz, with the exception of a small number of DH4s operated by PAL Airlines in Atlantic Canada.

Embraer 175 (E75)
Current: 25

Bombardier CRJ-900 (CR9)
Current: 35

Bombardier CRJ-200 (CRJ)
Current: 15
Future plans: -7 in 2024

Bombardier Q400 (DH4)
Current: 43

The last of the DH3 fleet was retired in early 2022.

AC has announced plans to acquire 30 Heart ES-30 hybrid regional aircraft, with entry in to service in 2028. See this thread

Cargo Fleet

Boeing 767-300F
Current: 8
Future plans: +1 in 2024, +1 in 2025

Sources

Information above is based primarily on the fleet plan in Air Canada's 2023 Q4 MD&A, as of February 16, 2024, with updates based on information from planespotters.net, press releases, and other sources.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Master Fleet Changes Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Why, are you saying AC would fold the rouge brand? If anything, I think it would be more likely to fold Transat in to rouge.
Good question. Given Rouge and AirTransat are positioned as Tourist oriented brands, I don't see the point of keeping both. My assumption is AirTransat has the stronger brand recognition of the two.

That said, given the Transat Customer experience it may not be worth keeping as the aircraft are already in an unacceptable tight configuration .....

Either way at the high level they should be making fleet decision across the variouse banners they have including Transat.

Last edited by Fiordland; Jan 26, 2020 at 9:48 pm
Old Jan 26, 2020, 10:12 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Fiordland
Good question. Given Rouge and AirTransat are positioned as Tourist oriented brands, I don't see the point of keeping both. My assumption is AirTransat has the stronger brand recognition of the two.
I can't imagine anyone outside of Quebec having any loyalty to Transat, or even recognizing it as more than "maybe an airline".

The flip is that I can't imagine any muggle understanding that Air Canada Rouge isn't really Air Canada and the $4 savings (if there was a head to head option, which there isn't) is worth it.

Air Canada should keep Transat as Transat, transfering many Rouge routes to them, not because Transat is or is not valuable​​​, but because eventually those who travel Rouge will swear off the top billing name.
​​​​​​
Old Jan 26, 2020, 11:12 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Fiordland
Good question. Given Rouge and AirTransat are positioned as Tourist oriented brands, I don't see the point of keeping both.
I agree. They've said they'll keep the two separate, but I feel like that's one of those things they say when trying to get a deal done, and then a year or two later, oops, times have changed, we need to cut costs and consolidate...

Either way at the high level they should be making fleet decision across the variouse banners they have including Transat.
For sure. Especially if they plan to achieve any synergies on the back end by consolidating maintenance, pilots, etc.

Originally Posted by RangerNS
The flip is that I can't imagine any muggle understanding that Air Canada Rouge isn't really Air Canada and the $4 savings (if there was a head to head option, which there isn't) is worth it.

Air Canada should keep Transat as Transat, transfering many Rouge routes to them, not because Transat is or is not valuable​​​, but because eventually those who travel Rouge will swear off the top billing name.
​​​​​​
I find that many FOTSGs I know complain and complain about rouge, swear they'll never fly it again, then book it the next time anyway because it's cheaper or it has the flights at the times/to the destinations they want to go to.

Or they book WestJet and then come back complaining about how terrible WestJet is.

So I don't know whether it matters that much whether they keep one, the other, or both of the rouge/Transat brands, from a marketing perspective.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 1:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
Originally Posted by RangerNS
I can't imagine anyone outside of Quebec having any loyalty to Transat, or even recognizing it as more than "maybe an airline".

​​​​​​
There is much more net goodwill toward the Transat brand than Rouge. But, I can’t see Air Canada leaving its own name unattached to a subsidiary. Thus my prediction of Transat, by Air Canada.

bye bye rouge.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 6:44 pm

Programs: AC, DL
I could see the Transat name just referring to the package holiday part of the business, and not the airline part.

I could also see a name like Transat Air Canada being used, with the Transat being a different font / colour than the Air Canada bit, as a way to try to link the brands. To continue selling US customers connections on to Europe they kind of need the AC name as part of the brand, IMO.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Now I'm curious to see the wide-body numbers
@canadiancow since that's a bit broader question, I've replied to it here rather than in the CSeries thread...

Okay, fine, I've updated the spreadsheet to include the widebodies and rouge too Link is unchanged from the previous post.

Bottom line is the narrowbodies generally have a lot higher proportion of premium seats than the widebodies. J is similar, then add in PY, but very few preferred seats. Many of the widebodies have fewer preferred seats, in absolute terms, than the narrowbodies. It's an area where AC's strategy is different from a number of its competitors. For example, AC has 18 preferred seats in the 789. AA has 34 and UA has 88. UA also has way more J (48) and no PY, but AA is the same 30J 21PY.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 1:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
@canadiancow since that's a bit broader question, I've replied to it here rather than in the CSeries thread...

Okay, fine, I've updated the spreadsheet to include the widebodies and rouge too Link is unchanged from the previous post.

Bottom line is the narrowbodies generally have a lot higher proportion of premium seats than the widebodies. J is similar, then add in PY, but very few preferred seats. Many of the widebodies have fewer preferred seats, in absolute terms, than the narrowbodies. It's an area where AC's strategy is different from a number of its competitors. For example, AC has 18 preferred seats in the 789. AA has 34 and UA has 88. UA also has way more J (48) and no PY, but AA is the same 30J 21PY.
Thanks!

I knew the 788 was a tough upgrade, but it never occurred to me about the HD. I guess I only fly it on routes that don't sell much J (otherwise they'd fly a different aircraft), which means the absolute numbers don't necessarily mean as much.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Thanks!

I knew the 788 was a tough upgrade, but it never occurred to me about the HD. I guess I only fly it on routes that don't sell much J (otherwise they'd fly a different aircraft), which means the absolute numbers don't necessarily mean as much.
Yeah, if you're thinking about upgrades, the HD is definitely the worst, and 77L is best.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 1:11 am
Original Poster

I've tidied up the wiki somewhat and also uploaded a spreadsheet that details the AC fleet going back to 2005. Don't worry, it's not all boring rows/columns of numbers, it has a bunch of colourful charts! You don't even have to look at the page with all the data!

One thing I noticed as I was updating the wiki is that I said upthread that all of AC's orders were for 7M8s with options to convert to 7M7s or 7M9s, but in fact AC did order some 7M9s. Wiki has been updated accordingly.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 7:41 am

Programs: AC 75K
Not sure which thread to put this in as fleet changes have been talked about in various threads. A few interesting items from today's MD&A:

2 additional A330s being added in 2020 bringing the fleet total to 17
All 5 mainline 767s staying until 2021
2 rouge 767s being removed from the fleet in 2020

From the analyst call today, AC has received initial compensation from Boeing, but the final agreement is not complete as they want to include the ability to change the order book with Boeing as part of the settlement. No further info about what that means, but I wonder if they want to dump the 11 7M9s they have on order.
Adam Smith likes this.

Last edited by ChrisA330; Feb 18, 2020 at 8:29 am Reason: grammar
Old Feb 18, 2020, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Any info on where the two additional A330's are coming from?
Old Feb 18, 2020, 8:29 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by The Lev
Any info on where the two additional A330's are coming from?
No explicit confirmation, but I'd guess SQ as with the rest of them.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Not sure which thread to put this in as fleet changes have been talked about in various threads. A few interesting items from today's MD&A:

2 additional A330s being added in 2020 bringing the fleet total to 17
All 5 mainline 767s staying until 2021
2 rouge 767s being removed from the fleet in 2020

From the analyst call today, AC has received initial compensation from Boeing, but the final agreement is not complete as they want to include the ability to change the order book with Boeing as part of the settlement. No further info about what that means, but I wonder if they want to dump the 11 7M9s they have on order.
AC sure does love them some 333s. Fleet will have gone from 8 to 17 in about 18 months once these additional frames get added.

May not just dump the 7M9s, but reduce the number of 7M8s they're taking. Or maybe get an extension on their 789 options to preserve flexibility. Or maybe they could leverage the MAX debacle to get a good deal on some 789s to start replacing the rouge 763s. Wouldn't that be ironic?

Those mainline 763s just can't be killed
Old Feb 18, 2020, 9:59 am

Programs: TK *G
Interesting that Mainline 763s are staying but some Rouge 763s are leaving, although Mainline 763s are older. My guess is that AC need these 767s to serve some low demand European routes supposedly served by 7M8s.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by songsc
Interesting that Mainline 763s are staying but some Rouge 763s are leaving, although Mainline 763s are older. My guess is that AC need these 767s to serve some low demand European routes supposedly served by 7M8s.
It's all about cycles or hours. It may be that even though the mainline frames are slightly older, some of the rouge frames have more cycles or hours and will therefore come up to a D check or other maintenance requirement sooner.

You can see this in the mainline 320 retirements as well. AC has already retired one of the 1991 deliveries, even while a few of the 1990 planes (including the oldest one) are still flying around.

Age is a somewhat reasonable proxy for usage, but without access to the data, we don't know the really important numbers, i.e. the cycles/hours.
asovse1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.