Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition and 2018 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by vernonc
Bonus if you experience an earthquake while on the 101 floor which did happen to me :-).
That is supposed to be one of the best places to be in an earthquake, due to the damper ball!

I have been in an earthquake in the 17th floor Club Lounge at the Sheraton Grande, as well as one of the top floors at the Sheraton Hsinchu in the middle of the night. The latter was much more scary.

In Hsinchu, I received a mobile alert in Chinese. I went to the lobby and asked the front desk clerk what it said. His response was "There has been an earthquake"..LOL...that I already knew!
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Plumber
That is supposed to be one of the best places to be in an earthquake, due to the damper ball!

I have been in an earthquake in the 17th floor Club Lounge at the Sheraton Grande, as well as one of the top floors at the Sheraton Hsinchu in the middle of the night. The latter was much more scary.

In Hsinchu, I received a mobile alert in Chinese. I went to the lobby and asked the front desk clerk what it said. His response was "There has been an earthquake"..LOL...that I already knew!
I know, that damper ball has my prayers. Still quite 'different' to experience a earthquake - we had it three days consecutively - this was the one last year where a few people died at a city 70km from TPE. Woke up from a deep sleep at the Grand Hyatt with the bed rocking like a drunk sailor. The announcement politely informed all guests that there was a earthquake in progress. I was waiting to see if they tell us to head down but no further announcement so back to sleep. Next day smaller tremors so no announcement. Third day dining on the top floor of TPE101 same calm announcement.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
this was the one last year where a few people died at a city 70km from TPE.
I was in Hsinchu at the time.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I know, that damper ball has my prayers. Still quite 'different' to experience a earthquake - we had it three days consecutively - this was the one last year where a few people died at a city 70km from TPE. Woke up from a deep sleep at the Grand Hyatt with the bed rocking like a drunk sailor. The announcement politely informed all guests that there was a earthquake in progress. I was waiting to see if they tell us to head down but no further announcement so back to sleep. Next day smaller tremors so no announcement. Third day dining on the top floor of TPE101 same calm announcement.
Sounds just like Japan... when in Tokyo or Osaka the hotels I stay only make announcements when they deem the earthquake to be stronger than the daily 2.0s to 4.0s (not that they have a live scale read, but you get the idea).
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Plumber
Here's another vote to go and see the damper ball in person, right at the top of Taipei 101. Definitely worth the time.

I also climbed elephant mountain.... not a bad use of a few hours, you get a great view of the city from there.
Plumber likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Paging @Plumber @24left @Transpacificflyer etc etc etc
Duh, and I forgot to mention @vernonc
Plumber likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I think my eyes are broken. Could swear it says up there that Nomad is a red tag.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I think my eyes are broken. Could swear it says up there that Nomad is a red tag.
And a beautiful tag it is.
flyquiet likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:30 pm

And a beautiful tag it is.
Just saw your post about it actually. Do I need to buy you a commiserate drink or a celebratory drink?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:34 pm

Just saw your post about it actually. Do I need to buy you a commiserate drink or a celebratory drink?
2MMiler should buy everyone else a drink :-)
Once they finish boot strapping their project.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:36 pm

Here here
@yyznomad you owe me a drink. Who are we to question the wisdom of @vernonc
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wut.

"Raptors reportedly acquire Marc Gasol for Valanciunas, Miles, Wright at NBA trade deadline"

I like Valanciunas!
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:51 pm

Wut.

"Raptors reportedly acquire Marc Gasol for Valanciunas, Miles, Wright at NBA trade deadline"

I like Valanciunas!
I do too but I like Gasol more. Heavy price to pay though for a 34 year old.
They also traded the Moose.
So today's game will have an empty bench with Jonas, Delon, CJ and Monroe gone and they traded Richardson yesterday so . @yyznomad if you hurry maybe you can get some playing time at the end of the 4Q garbage time. Oh and Leonard will not play today with a sore knee. So that's 6 players out and we got Gasol.
Obviously some more signings done or on the way to fill that bench.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:52 pm

Here here
My better half questions my wisdom all the time. So go right ahead, I am used to it :-)
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2MMiler should buy everyone else a drink :-)
Once they finish boot strapping their project.
Here here
When I finally get to lift my head above the water, sand, and poop... and I'm relatively unscathed... drinks on me.. in any MLL of your choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.