Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Mileage Runs for Status & Missing AQM/AQS/AQD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
Since this format seems to work well on other forums, for each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed (AQM):
Segments Needed (AQS):
Dollars Needed (AQD):
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (CHOOSE ONE, AND STATE THE VALUE):
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay:

Route(s) You've Already Searched:

• For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A NEW THREAD.
  • For Required Spend or Maximum Budget: DO NOT SAY "ANYTHING" OR "CHEAPEST" OR SIMILAR BECAUSE THAT IS NOT VERY HELPFUL - STATE THE DAMN VALUE PRETTY PLEASE WITH A CHERRY ON TOP
  • If you need both AQD AND AQM or AQS, then please indicate both in their respective line item. Don't hide your second AQD/M/S requirement in some other line.
  • If you are based in YYZ or YVR, there can be many good fares to China (PEK or PVG) on Star Alliance partners. If you have a Chinese visa, include that in your request and these options will be provided.
Useful reference thread for AQM and AQD calculations:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1744575-new-improved-calculator-aqm-aeroplan-miles-aqd.html
Print Wikipost

Mileage Runs for Status & Missing AQM/AQS/AQD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: E50K, Bonvoy Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
This seems to yield 11,952 miles total in J and maybe hits your $400 AQD on the AC metal

Not sure about the AQD, but the fare construction follows:

YTO AC X/EWR Q255.35 UA LIM 277.79PLA0R9EN UA X/EWR Q255.35 AC YTO 277.79PLA0R9EN NUC 1066.28 END ROE 1.292306 XT 25.91CA 3.25RC 25.00SQ 15.40YC 18.60XY 10.60XA 14.80AY 19.90DY 40.80HW 6.00XF EWR4.50
Hey Bohemian -
Just wanted to thank you for the above. It got me looking into the route closer. I actually booked about 5 hours after you posted and left Friday morning via IAH on AC connecting to UA 854 to LIM. 24 hours in Miraflores at the Hilton and back on the same routing with a nice long stop in IAH to enjoy the Centurion Lounge.
$1,260 CAD, J the whole way & access to Polaris Lounge w/ United on the outbound at IAH (includes Peru/Colombia/Ecuador as of Nov. 1 refresh). 13,239 AQM which will put me over the 80K e-up threshold. Hoping beyond all hopes it gives me my $400 AQD. Tried to get an estimate/answer out of E50 agent - but he had no idea what would happen.
Thanks again!!!

Last edited by flytheheat_71; Dec 3, 2018 at 8:46 am Reason: Grammar
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:44 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by flytheheat_71
Hey Bohemian -
Just wanted to thank you for the above. It got me looking into the route closer. I actually booked about 5 hours after you posted and left Friday morning via to LIM via IAH on AC connecting to UA 854 to LIM. 24 hours in Miraflores at the Hilton and back on the same routing with a nice long stop in IAH to enjoy the Centurion Lounge.
$1,260 CAD, J the whole way & access to Polaris Lounge w/ United on the outbound at IAH (includes Peru/Colombia/Ecuador as of Nov. 1 refresh). 13,239 AQM which will put me over the 80K e-up threshold. Hoping beyond all hopes it gives me my $400 AQD. Tried to get an estimate/answer out of E50 agent - but he had no idea what would happen.
Thanks again!!!
Glad the trip worked out.

I may do something similar early next year but for a different reason - there's a restaurant I'd like to check out. Could make a good long weekend trip.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Ok. Someone else can correct me here, but IIRC, domestic Basic does not give any AQM, and therefore does not give any AQD.
Correct. Only “select” TATL routes provide AQM at 25% too. And who knows what these select flights are.

Earn 25% Aeroplan Miles/Altitude Qualifying Miles on select flights between Canada and destinations over the Atlantic.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Gone_Koastal

Looking to renew 50K for 2019

Departure Airport: YVR
Miles Needed (AQM): N/A
Segments Needed (AQS): Satisfied (47)
Dollars Needed (AQD): $24.76
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value):
Available Travel Dates: Flexible before Dec 31st
Route(s) You've Already Searched:YVR-YYJ

My question is what would Air Canada typically do in this situation, being that I'm only $24 short of my AQD requirement.
Customer Relations is asking me to email their Status Review email after January 1st, but if they say no to giving me an exception, then it's too late.
Return flights to Victoria in December are relatively cheap but still $300 return all in.
Just to clarify, you chose the lower requalification privilege, bringing down the AQS requirement from 50 to 45, correct?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: AC Altitude SE100K, HH Diamond
Perilously short of E100k.

Departure Airport: YWG
Miles Needed (AQM): 18,377
Segments Needed (AQS): 6 - my best option I think?
Dollars Needed (AQD): none - I'm at more than 150%
Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): $600
Available Travel Dates: pretty flexible
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Codeshares OK

Route(s) You've Already Searched: YWG-YYJ
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:34 pm

YWG - IAH for $497CAD

Originally Posted by AleEat
Perilously short of E100k.

Departure Airport: YWG
Miles Needed (AQM): 18,377
Segments Needed (AQS): 6 - my best option I think?
Dollars Needed (AQD): none - I'm at more than 150%
Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): $600
Available Travel Dates: pretty flexible
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Codeshares OK

Route(s) You've Already Searched: YWG-YYJ
I'm not 100% sure that Economy Standard yields AQS, but if it does here's 6 segments over two days for under $500:

Google Flights

It even leaves you a little in your budget for a hotel.
AleEat likes this.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Dec 3, 2018 at 5:43 pm
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I'm not 100% sure that Economy Standard yields AQS, but if it does here's 6 segments over two days for under $500:

Google Flights

It even leaves you a little in your budget for a hotel.
Standard provides AQS. Basic does not (in most including all TB routes). You’ll even get 50% AQM on the TB legs and 25% domestically.
AleEat likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by flytheheat_71
Hey Bohemian -
Just wanted to thank you for the above. It got me looking into the route closer. I actually booked about 5 hours after you posted and left Friday morning via IAH on AC connecting to UA 854 to LIM. 24 hours in Miraflores at the Hilton and back on the same routing with a nice long stop in IAH to enjoy the Centurion Lounge.
Thanks again!!!
Only flights to Peru (i.e. LIM) were upgraded to Polaris service on Nov 1. Flights to Colombia and Ecuador are still designated United Business. (which made sense, as UA's LIM flights were on int'l equipment with lie-flat J and IAH-LIM is barely longer than EWR-SNN, which I believe is the shortest Polaris flight)

Regarding AQD, when I flew this fare, the AC YYZ-EWR segments were allocated $46 PQD on UA, and the LIM-EWR segments were allocated $481 PQD.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: Air Canada E50K, FB Gold
Departure: YUL
AQS current (projected): 22 (42)
AQS needed: 8
AQM : 7748
AQD: $4003
Max Spend: $1000
Dates: Weekends Preferable
Metal: AC / *A

I fly a lot domestically throughout eastern Canada (with about 4 US trips and 1 international) on standard fares therefore I don’t have a shot at getting the AQM. AQD and AQS aren’t issues though.

I’m looking for routes that would yield the most AQS to get to E50K. Does anyone have any idea on how to hit 8 AQS for $1K or less (trying to keep spending to a minimum). Might make a few weekend trips to catch baseball games and rack up AQS.

Maybe someone can enlighten me on if it’s even worth chasing E50K if I already have Nexus, CIBC Inf Privilege with 6 x PP, and will most likely hit E35K?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:21 pm

I'd look at something like YUL-YOW-YHZ-YYT-YQX round-trip. If you can get 4 segments on one fare, you should easily be able to do it for well under budget, and if you're fine overnighting at the destination, it should be trivial to go there Saturday and back Sunday.

Alternatively something like YUL-YOW-YYZ-YWG-YXE if you want to head west. I'm not sure which routing will be easier or cheaper to book.
yulflier likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Easy one would be YUL-YOW-YYZ-LGA-YUL for $379 in August. First 3 legs are on Friday and the last leg home on Sunday with the weekend in NYC. Do this twice and you'll hit your segment target for under $1000.

As for 50K vs 35K, the two biggest differences (for me) are the free preferred seats on Flex bookings and *A Gold on United and other *A carriers. If you're mostly booking AC standard then you won't get anything from these two perks.
yulflier likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:27 pm

Or you can go totally crazy and make a real MR out of it and get all 8 segments in one trip for $875 and see someplace(s) exotic:

Google Flights

Last edited by Bohemian1; Jun 4, 2019 at 12:50 pm Reason: Be Bold
Old Sep 3, 2019, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
So my cousin is getting into this whole FF thing and has bought into the idea of doing segment runs to get E50K (he's 35K and at 40 segments this year).

Based out of DEN, what are some cheap segment run suggestions to get the remaining AQS?

Departure Airport: DEN
Miles Needed (AQM): N/A
Segments Needed (AQS): 10
Dollars Needed (AQD): N/A
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): max budget of $5,000
Available Travel Dates: Mainly weekends but could make some a "longer weekend"
Not sure what the rule for AQS is regarding codeshares
Route(s) You've Already Searched: DEN to anywhere in Canada via YYZ, DEN to TATL via YYZ.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
So my cousin is getting into this whole FF thing and has bought into the idea of doing segment runs to get E50K (he's 35K and at 40 segments this year).

Based out of DEN, what are some cheap segment run suggestions to get the remaining AQS?
If AQD is sufficient, I'd go for UA. Check Google Flights, pick something in north east, and you can probably route DEN-IAH-ORD-EWR-IAD-dest and back. UA routing rules for domestic itineraries often allow you to go through every hub, so while a 10 segment round-trip may be challenging, I'm confident you could easily find 6, if not 8.

Edit: Now that you've added more information to the post, this is fine. UA will work, and there's a $5000 budget? That is... obscenely high. I think you could drop a 0.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If AQD is sufficient, I'd go for UA. Check Google Flights, pick something in north east, and you can probably route DEN-IAH-ORD-EWR-IAD-dest and back. UA routing rules for domestic itineraries often allow you to go through every hub, so while a 10 segment round-trip may be challenging, I'm confident you could easily find 6, if not 8.
Awesome, thanks. I'm not well versed in the UA area of things, so this helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.