Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Mileage Runs for Status & Missing AQM/AQS/AQD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
Since this format seems to work well on other forums, for each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed (AQM):
Segments Needed (AQS):
Dollars Needed (AQD):
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (CHOOSE ONE, AND STATE THE VALUE):
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay:

Route(s) You've Already Searched:

• For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A NEW THREAD.
  • For Required Spend or Maximum Budget: DO NOT SAY "ANYTHING" OR "CHEAPEST" OR SIMILAR BECAUSE THAT IS NOT VERY HELPFUL - STATE THE DAMN VALUE PRETTY PLEASE WITH A CHERRY ON TOP
  • If you need both AQD AND AQM or AQS, then please indicate both in their respective line item. Don't hide your second AQD/M/S requirement in some other line.
  • If you are based in YYZ or YVR, there can be many good fares to China (PEK or PVG) on Star Alliance partners. If you have a Chinese visa, include that in your request and these options will be provided.
Useful reference thread for AQM and AQD calculations:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1744575-new-improved-calculator-aqm-aeroplan-miles-aqd.html
Print Wikipost

Mileage Runs for Status & Missing AQM/AQS/AQD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by yyzwanderer
Will be short roughly 2200 AQM to 50k, and hoping to hit *G for the first time.

Departure Airport: YYZ
Miles Needed: 2200
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): Would prefer to spend less than CAD 1000, but some flexibility
Available Travel Dates: Dec 7 - here's the catch: hoping for a same day return if possible - is this too risky for Canada in Dec? Would a return flight be "protected" the way connections are?
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Codeshares okay - I am over the AQD threshold

Route(s) You've Already Searched: AC YYZ-YHZ in J is the current frontrunner at $1250 RT, but if I can do it for cheaper...

Thanks in advance everyone!
@yyzwanderer

Questions:
1. Why would you spend $1,250 for 2,200 AQM?
2. Do you absolutely need to fly in J?
2. I'm among many who've done same-day trips to the west coast. In Y. I fly the routes frequently. In Y. In the winter.
For eg. You can fly Dec 7 same-day return YYZ-LAX for just under $700 for Flex or $780 or so for Comfort.
AQM for Flex is 4,340 and 4,991 for Comfort.

Potential benefits or bonuses:
1. You get an AQM buffer
2. If you pick the right flight times, you can even leave T6, walk over to In-N-Out Burger and do some planespotting.

Anyway, just a suggestion for you. Happy travels.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): Would prefer to spend less than CAD 1000, but some flexibility
Available Travel Dates: Dec 7 - here's the catch: hoping for a same day return if possible - is this too risky for Canada in Dec? Would a return flight be "protected" the way connections are?
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Codeshares okay - I am over the AQD threshold

Route(s) You've Already Searched: AC YYZ-YHZ in J is the current frontrunner at $1250 RT, but if I can do it for cheaper...
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)? No

If you can return the morning of the 8th: https://www.google.com/flights#flt=Y...460*.USD.27460

And that's my first search because I know that even at 50%, YYZ-SFO-YYZ will get you 2200.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
If you can return the morning of the 8th: https://www.google.com/flights#flt=Y...460*.USD.27460

And that's my first search because I know that even at 50%, YYZ-SFO-YYZ will get you 2200.
Great idea. Even more fun.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:59 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS

https://goo.gl/flights/KLA4B

YYZ-YUL-DFW-YYZ in J overnight. $1280 CAD. $1005 in Y, which is reasonably tolerable.

High chance of getting the B or C team through DFW.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:03 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs

How about YYZ-SFO tight turnaround on the same day for $556 CAD?

Here's one option - Books into United L (ugh) but I think it would still net you 2,200+ AQM.

https://www.google.ca/flights?lite=0...326*.CAD.55536

Last edited by Bohemian1; Nov 27, 2018 at 11:12 am Reason: Fixed Link
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: AC E50K, Skywards Silver
Thank you all for the suggestions! It looks like I'm heading to SFO!
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Hello

here my personal situation I travel 95% domestic for work always lowest possible fare available.

AQM 6800
AQS 22
AQD 3600$

flight book for the rest of year
YUL - MIA in Y but bid to upgrade in J (19 dec) reward
MIA - YUL in J (31 dec ) reward

At this time I have Amex reserve aeroplan if I qualify for E35k I'll cancel it and save on the 900$ annual fees

Departure Airport: YUL
Miles Needed: 1SQA for E25K or 28k AQM for E35k
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): 400-100$
Available Travel Dates: next two weekends
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
@24left

IMHO, my suggestion would be to make this an AQM/AQS/AQD run master thread. But whatever.
ffsim and flyquiet like this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
@24left

IMHO, my suggestion would be to make this an AQM/AQS/AQD run master thread. But whatever.
"But whatever"...?

Only the MOD can change the thread title. I have no personal attachment to the title or contents, just that for at least 3 moths near the end of the year, people start threads about how to get their AQM/AQD/Status goals.

I actually appreciated the template/format offered upthread by @Bohemian1 which can be modified, of course to include

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed (AQM):
Dollars Needed (AQD):

Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value):
Available Travel Dates:

Not sure we need the Chinese Visa part.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by 24left
"But whatever"...?

Only the MOD can change the thread title. I have no personal attachment to the title or contents, just that for at least 3 moths near the end of the year, people start threads about how to get their AQM/AQD/Status goals.

I actually appreciated the template/format offered upthread by @Bohemian1
The "but whatever" wasn't at you.

I guess I should've rephrased it as a question... as in, perhaps it should be AQM/AQD/AQS, what do you think?
And yes, the template by @Bohemian1 works. So perhaps it can be extended. Or not. Just thinking out loud.

Added: Just saw your added part... I think we are on the same page.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:32 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
The "but whatever" wasn't at you.

I guess I should've rephrased it as a question... as in, perhaps it should be AQM/AQD/AQS, what do you think?
And yes, the template by @Bohemian1 works. So perhaps it can be extended. Or not. Just thinking out loud.
I edited my post to add some additional items, perhaps while you were writing this one?

And I just edited the wiki.

Others can edit my edits.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 24left
I edited my post to add some additional items, perhaps while you were writing this one?

And I just edited the wiki.

Others can edit my edits.
Oh, ok thanks ha. I added AQS.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I **love** this thread. Even if I am not in the same situation, I can digest it and keep the tips in mind in case I am, or to offer to non-FT people that ask. I love it **so** much more than the blizzard of separate threads from individuals that often have overlapping needs or solution sets. Love it <3
Bohemian1, 24left and Dasher12 like this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: E50K, Bonvoy Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Miles Needed: 8600
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): Would prefer to spend less than CAD 1600
Available Travel Dates: Dec 1-2 or 7-8 - in and out ideal but okay to stay overnight as well.
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Codeshares mostly okay - I need $400 AQD so ideally an expensive leg/half the trip touches AC metal. At $8,600 AQD for the year so far.
Route(s) You've Already Searched: UA to PTY this weekend, UA to LIH/HNL via ORD and SFO in J ... having trouble finding AC legs to get that last $400
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)?: Yes - was in PVG last week and PEK three weeks ago

I'll do Y if I have to ... but would prefer to take advantage of cheap J on UA if I can fit in an AC segment
Thanks for your help in advance!!
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flytheheat_71
Miles Needed: 8600
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): Would prefer to spend less than CAD 1600
Available Travel Dates: Dec 1-2 or 7-8 - in and out ideal but okay to stay overnight as well.
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Codeshares mostly okay - I need $400 AQD so ideally an expensive leg/half the trip touches AC metal. At $8,600 AQD for the year so far.
Route(s) You've Already Searched: UA to PTY this weekend, UA to LIH/HNL via ORD and SFO in J ... having trouble finding AC legs to get that last $400
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)?: Yes - was in PVG last week and PEK three weeks ago

I'll do Y if I have to ... but would prefer to take advantage of cheap J on UA if I can fit in an AC segment
Thanks for your help in advance!!
So you need 8600 AQM AND $400 AQD?
Maybe you could split this into two MRs... one with cheap UA for the AQM and then do a roundtrip Rapidair or something?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.