Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by yyznomad
You're not a 1MM yet, so you clearly can't be rotund like I am. You'll never beat my 2MM muffin top since I am clearly unfit, unhealthy, and lazy.
Ahhh, yes, the MM club. I figure I’ll be 20 lbs heavier and possibly divorced when that rolls around in a couple of years.

I seem to remember reading that the rumors of your muffin top are greatly exaggerated, or was that greatly accurate??? I can’t remember, and I am too lazy to look.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Y'all are frauds
I am the true muffin top!
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Yhztraveller

I seem to remember reading that the rumors of your muffin top are greatly exaggerated, or was that greatly accurate??? I can’t remember, and I am too lazy to look.
The muffin top is huge. That is, if you're the type here that likes to put others down (and have never met or know what they look like) for flying more than you and thus making yourself feel better.
Yhztraveller likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
It was a focused, yet leisurely walk, with the heart rate in the range you have suggested. I was told once that 1 mile is approx 2000 steps, which appears pretty accurate.

In addition to the girls in lingerie, I saw some interesting sights, like the guy trying to get into gate 59 (banging on the door) cause he was late for a flight. It apparently did not seem odd to him that the gate sign was blank, there was no one at the gate, and there was no plane. He obviously missed the gate change announcement. Coolest site was the guy with the Sunwing Engineering bright yellow vest on, playing the piano that is by Gates 62-68. Looks like he was on a break and he was playing like he could be at Carnegie Hall. I posted a video on instagram. Very impressive.

Oh, and I noted several water bottle filling stations, which I think yyznomad was complaining about earlier this year. There were also several places for you to be able to get your heart rate up in the morning....
Wow, YUL sounds like a terminal full of action. Me, I just tug one off in the lav midflight, aim arc at sink and mostly it works. Using the hand with fitbit gives me extra steps, and heartrate is pretty decent for all of, 30 seconds... I should try with GPS tracking in the app and see what it thinks I'm doing...
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
Wow, YUL sounds like a terminal full of action. Me, I just tug one off in the lav midflight, aim arc at sink and mostly it works. Using the hand with fitbit gives me extra steps, and heartrate is pretty decent for all of, 30 seconds... I should try with GPS tracking in the app and see what it thinks I'm doing...
Ah good to see you survived your 4am walk ...
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:16 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I hope the groomers or crew have a big mop.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:38 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Oh, and I noted several water bottle filling stations, which I think yyznomad was complaining about earlier this year. There were also several places for you to be able to get your heart rate up in the morning....
Not sure why yyznomad would complain about water fountains. My understanding is that yyznomads are fuelled by JW Black.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Not sure why yyznomad would complain about water fountains. My understanding is that yyznomads are fuelled by JW Black.
​​​​​​​Depends which cabin they’re in.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:22 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jc94
​​​​Depends which cabin they’re in.
They're rarely found outside of J and, on those rare occasions, I think you'd find they've pre-filled themselves with JW Black in the MLL.
YYC traveler likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:20 am

I hope the groomers or crew have a big mop.
I hope for groomers whether there was a drunkcargo on the prior flight, or not. Those filthy dirty animals, er, aircraft!
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC
I think you'd find they've pre-filled themselves with JW Black in the MLL.
They're allowed in the Maple Leaf Lounge at all?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by songsc
Are those two co-founders tech people? I find it usually makes a big difference on how interviews are conducted.

For junior positions, it is more about interests and CS fundamentals than anything else. Though having some in depth knowledge about the languages/frameworks they are using (eg, how does the program gets executed, how are the functions in standard libraries implemented), along with some system level understanding (eg, how to scale up, security concerns) will definitely make you stand out.
Yeah, they seem like tech people. I just made it through (and passed) the first round; at this stage it seems like I'd probably enjoy working there.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You know me well, @Adam Smith.

Correct - that wasn't me who complained about the water fountains. (if they were broken all the time, then I might complain, but if there was a complaint regarding the lack of water fountains, then that wasn't me who was complaining)
Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
You know me well, @Adam Smith.

Correct - that wasn't me who complained about the water fountains. (if they were broken all the time, then I might complain, but if there was a complaint regarding the lack of water fountains, then that wasn't me who was complaining)
my apologies again..... it was
Originally Posted by eigenvector
What's the deal with first world airports that don't have water fountains and super shallow sinks in the bathroom so you can't fill a water bottle? Ahem, Frankfurt. Do people not consider drinking water a basic amenity that should be available in a place you're paying for access to?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.