Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by pewpew
That awkward moment when you realize you're consistently the last one in and the first one out of lab.

But I get my work done early, so I've got that going for me
I finished school while broadband was still up and coming in dorm rooms (mainly up but not where I was) so at home I was paying per minute for modem speeds while I could get usable and free access from the labs.

So I was regularly in labs til the wee hours and then cycling home. Not all that was work related of course
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Never thought this would happen but I'm relocating. Again. I've moved in the last year four times :

YEG-YYC-YVR-ICN. And now I'm heading to... YWG with 20% of time spent in YXE

Not sure what I'm thinking but the offer(as a consultant) was too good to pass up. I did two years of university in YWG so I know how brutal it is.

I guess it's time to save some money and stay home most the time LOL
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by SKYEG
Never thought this would happen but I'm relocating. Again. I've moved in the last year four times :

Not sure what I'm thinking but the offer(as a consultant) was too good to pass up. I did two years of university in YWG so I know how brutal it is.

Congrats!!
SKYEG likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 11:15 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS

I've been flip-flopping back and forth about that. I'm thinking of applying to consulting firms nearby after I finish my degree, but I'm not sure I (or rather, my personal life) could handle the travel. Heck, I'm 24--I'm basically dead
SKYEG likes this.

Last edited by pewpew; Feb 12, 2018 at 11:20 am
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry

Well then, congrats and welcome home ^
SKYEG likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
I've been flip-flopping back and forth about that. I'm thinking of applying to consulting firms nearby after I finish my degree, but I'm not sure I (or rather, my personal life) could handle the travel. Heck, I'm 24--I'm basically dead
Unless you are going to MBB (Which lets be honest, it's more like MB in Canada), most of the work at Big Four and ACN have been moving towards a local or provincial model (for entry level analyst positions that is)
Though if you are working in a national service line that tend to be a bit more niche or govt focused work, there are still plenty of travel involved.

I spoken to some analysts who hasn't flew once for work in their two years at the firm, but even those who do tends to be sth like YVR-SEA, YVR-YYJ as opposed to TCONs. I get the impression that its actually harder for one to find work that involves travel vs just staying at your base.
Of course, these are just surface level stuff, there are plenty on the forum that actually work in consulting so maybe they can offer a much better insight

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Feb 12, 2018 at 1:24 pm
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

YWG do?
SKYEG likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC
I would say if you are considering a life of travel and work, don't assume you will have a personal life, and if you are OK with that then sign right up.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Unless you are going to MBB (Which lets be honest, it's more like MB in Canada), most of the work at Big Four and ACN have been moving towards a local or provincial model (for entry level analyst positions that is)
Though if you are working in a national service line that tend to be a bit more niche or govt focused work, there are still plenty of travel involved.

I spoken to some analysts who hasn't flew once for work in their two years at the firm, but even those who do tends to be sth like YVR-SEA, YVR-YYJ as opposed to TCONs. I get the impression that its actually harder for one to find work that involves travel vs just staying at your base.
Of course, these are just surface level stuff, there are plenty on the forum that actually work in consulting so maybe they can offer a much better insight
Which B did you drop, Jack?

I'm looking at applying to MB in Europe. Maybe Canada too, but I can't figure out if the recruitment season is over in Canada or not. Their info for undergrads tells you to contact your campus recruiter, which is great, but I went to a US school .
Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:03 pm

Which B did you drop, Jack?

I'm looking at applying to MB in Europe. Maybe Canada too, but I can't figure out if the recruitment season is over in Canada or not. Their info for undergrads tells you to contact your campus recruiter, which is great, but I went to a US school .
M is the only MBB firm in Canada with a formal national recruiting campaign, there is a reason they are the best.
BBs are by special channels for non-targets, via UBC Sauder is through a two month case workshop program called SCMP (that imo was a yuge waste of time and money)
Basically if you pass the SCMP, you get Deloitte, Bain, Boston and McKinsey interviews.

But yeah, cycle is way over. M finished in October, BBs did final round interviews towards the end of summer for SCMP.

As for which B I dropped, no comment.

You also need to prep for case interviews (which I found to be a questionable methodology) but hey, I made it in the end
Some people spent years preparing for it, I just read the case in point book and blasted through it, which turned out pretty good tbh.
If you feel you are gonna be bad at case interviews, EY and PwC are more plausible as EY have got rid of it altogether and PwC is a group one.

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Feb 12, 2018 at 2:25 pm
Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Ah, subsidized pedicures at work.

I try to take advantage of all our perks.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
Right off, that statement is problematic. How do you accurately measure the "best and the brightest"? Be it a job interview, or a university acceptance board, some candidates momentary skill level isn't the whole story. Canada doesn't generally have standardized tests, so someones report card says as much about their diverse teachers as it does them. If we did have SAT's, then someones SAT's scores could/does/might measure their skill and knowlage today, again as much a reflection on their school as them, but says nothing about what they would be like 6 months in, after some due coaching and mentoring.

Ditto with job interviews. Someone might know the language and platform, but not get agile, and generally be toxic and miserable. Maybe an alternative candidate has 0 real world experience in wiring code, but is willing to do QA, so you hire them on at half the price of the toxic ....... and get them to do QA in your corporate environment that doesn't allow QA types within 5 time zones; in 6 months they can do enough junior coding skills to carry their official weight.

I think - I know - that I've had people take chances on me. So I know there are good gatekeepers out there. I also know that my SEO skills are such that for either of those jobs if I went through the rigorous HR programs, I'd still be holding a stop sign on the side of the road.

So, even momentarily, "best and brightest" doesn't work now. I'll grant, however, that even given the above problems, the gatekeeper can only evaluate who is in front of them. Good gatekeepers already look past the momentary strengths of those in front of them, and a lot of good candidates were filtered out by the robots, be it regular expressions or HR drones.

The the harder question, the real question, is where does the responsibility lay for getting better and brighter people in that place to be evaluated by a gatekeeper?
Best and brightest is short hand for choosing the best candidate based on available information. That being said, your post is very relevant. I also discuss with my teacher friends how being able to fire "really bad" teachers would be good for both students and teachers. Usually they come back about unions and that's not right and how can you decide if a teacher is good or bad, etc... I reply with "well you just told me 30 minutes ago Teacher X, Y, and Z aren't good teachers. I figure if you can identify them, then so can management / HR at the school." People can sort out the riff raff from the gems, but sometimes it is hard to quantify .
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:21 pm

When the SD is about to say it for the 1000000th time
The Only Four Star International Airline................

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Feb 13, 2018 at 9:12 pm
Old Feb 13, 2018, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Mr. Elisha Cuthbert moved to the Kings... must be for his glowing personality and leadership qualities.
Minus 7 so far this year.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 9:09 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Mr. Elisha Cuthbert moved to the Kings... must be for his glowing personality and leadership qualities.
Minus 7 so far this year.
And the return Ottawa got for moving him makes the bag of melted pucks the Flames got for him look like a pile of gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.