Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
oh, just in case anyone cares:

1,541 steps = 1.16km = .72 miles
​​​​​​​14 minutes (a blistering pace)
Old Feb 16, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
I use my in/out hole for that.
ouch......
Old Feb 16, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
oh, just in case anyone cares:

1,541 steps = 1.16km = .72 miles
14 minutes (a blistering pace)
I thought 13min per km was pretty steady for a walk. I imagine jogging/running airside would attract negative attention. Of course, this depends on leg length, carry-on weight, roller or backpack, etc...

I tend to walk to 96-120 bpm music, 120 reminiscent of my childhood marching band days... 96 more swaggering through the hood...

I'm contemplating going to YVR to march around airside, then cancel... as I'm known to do.... =P
Old Feb 16, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I thought 13min per km was pretty steady for a walk. I imagine jogging/running airside would attract negative attention. Of course, this depends on leg length, carry-on weight, roller or backpack, etc...

I tend to walk to 96-120 bpm music, 120 reminiscent of my childhood marching band days... 96 more swaggering through the h
I'm contemplating going to YVR to march around airside, then cancel... as I'm known to do.... =P
I walk at about 9 mins per km pace. Unless I am in a hurry or walk. I’ve been told that’s fast though. A slow run is 6 min km, when I’m in shape it’s 5

Last edited by jc94; Feb 16, 2018 at 1:23 pm Reason: Busted phone or website
Old Feb 16, 2018, 1:49 pm

I tend to walk to 96-120 bpm music, 120 reminiscent of my childhood marching band days... 96 more swaggering through the hood...

It was a focused, yet leisurely walk, with the heart rate in the range you have suggested. I was told once that 1 mile is approx 2000 steps, which appears pretty accurate.

In addition to the girls in lingerie, I saw some interesting sights, like the guy trying to get into gate 59 (banging on the door) cause he was late for a flight. It apparently did not seem odd to him that the gate sign was blank, there was no one at the gate, and there was no plane. He obviously missed the gate change announcement. Coolest site was the guy with the Sunwing Engineering bright yellow vest on, playing the piano that is by Gates 62-68. Looks like he was on a break and he was playing like he could be at Carnegie Hall. I posted a video on instagram. Very impressive.

Oh, and I noted several water bottle filling stations, which I think yyznomad was complaining about earlier this year. There were also several places for you to be able to get your heart rate up in the morning....
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:34 pm

It was a focused, yet leisurely walk, with the heart rate in the range you have suggested. I was told once that 1 mile is approx 2000 steps, which appears pretty accurate.

In addition to the girls in lingerie, I saw some interesting sights, like the guy trying to get into gate 59 (banging on the door) cause he was late for a flight. It apparently did not seem odd to him that the gate sign was blank, there was no one at the gate, and there was no plane. He obviously missed the gate change announcement. Coolest site was the guy with the Sunwing Engineering bright yellow vest on, playing the piano that is by Gates 62-68. Looks like he was on a break and he was playing like he could be at Carnegie Hall. I posted a video on instagram. Very impressive.

Oh, and I noted several water bottle filling stations, which I think yyznomad was complaining about earlier this year. There were also several places for you to be able to get your heart rate up in the morning....
Hmmm, looking at my health app I did 3.6km in 5536 steps. That's 2460 steps per mile.
Another day when I did maybe half of that walking with someone shorter than me it was 4.6km in 7160 steps, and then I get 2490.
I ran a few others and get fairly consistent counts. I'm sure it varies but to do a mile in 2,000 steps I'd be taking pretty big steps For reference this was all of my phone, I don't have the watch which is why my app reports 0.38km yesterday despite also doing a 5km run.

Regardless, sounds like some excellent people watching. Bill Bryson style almost
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:21 pm

Hmmmmm, I am guessing you have a shorter inseam than my measly 28 inches, or my watch is off, as I am working on a 2270 steps/mile pace today....
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Speaking of weight loss (gain), UK KFC is running out of chicken.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I don't recall the last time I went to KFC, but I visit Pop Eyes frequently (aka once a month or once every two month)
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Either KFC has gotten greasier. or I am less tolerant of grease than I used to be. I suspect that it is the former.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 5:24 pm

Hmmmmm, I am guessing you have a shorter inseam than my measly 28 inches, or my watch is off, as I am working on a 2270 steps/mile pace today....
What my inseam is I dunno, I take a 31” (“regular”) set of pants though.

Originally Posted by smallmj
Either KFC has gotten greasier. or I am less tolerant of grease than I used to be. I suspect that it is the former.
Ah KFC. I went a couple of years ago... That said if I have the choice I’d take it over say McDs. Their chicken burger isn’t too bad. Sitting whatever you get on some bounty tiisue can help.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 5:28 pm

I said "inseam", not "waist".....

Just don't let Joey's tailor measure your inseam......
jasdou likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I said "inseam", not "waist".....

Just don't let Joey's tailor measure your inseam......
You're not a 1MM yet, so you clearly can't be rotund like I am. You'll never beat my 2MM muffin top since I am clearly unfit, unhealthy, and lazy.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:22 pm

You're not a 1MM yet, so you clearly can't be rotund like I am. You'll never beat my 2MM muffin top since I am clearly unfit, unhealthy, and lazy.
Yes you need to lose that muffin top before you are admitted to the SE4Life club
Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jc94

Yes you need to lose that muffin top before you are admitted to the SE4Life club
Hey, don't be the spoiler! You've met me, so you can't call me out like that.
jc94 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.