Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2018, 3:36 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Makes me very happy I never linked any accounts in Coinbase. Yikes!
Old Feb 15, 2018, 3:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
All is sunny and well in the crypto land
Relating this to "crypto land" is like saying "aviation is unsafe because an MH plane went down".
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Relating this to "crypto land" is like saying "aviation is unsafe because an MH plane went down".
i would suggest that the probability of losing your investment in crypto land is much greater than getting in a plane crash (assuming you both have invested in crypto currency and occaisionally fly in an air plane).
Jumper Jack likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Yhztraveller

i would suggest that the probability of losing your investment in crypto land is much greater than getting in a plane crash (assuming you both have invested in crypto currency and occaisionally fly in an air plane).
Sure, but an issue with Coinbase is an issue with Coinbase. It's completely possible to buy/sell/trade without Coinbase.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by pewpew
So despite having taken 0 compsci/programming courses since high school, I just got offered an interview for a developer position at a finance start-up that so far only has two co-founders as its staff lol. Maybe because my master's thesis is computer vision stuff, who knows. Any tips for the first interview?

Though I'm not sure I'll go through with it. The reason I applied to that city was so my girlfriend could move back there (because she doesn't want to move to Canada after we graduate), and now she doesn't want to be the reason I move there.
Are those two co-founders tech people? I find it usually makes a big difference on how interviews are conducted.

For junior positions, it is more about interests and CS fundamentals than anything else. Though having some in depth knowledge about the languages/frameworks they are using (eg, how does the program gets executed, how are the functions in standard libraries implemented), along with some system level understanding (eg, how to scale up, security concerns) will definitely make you stand out.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Sure, but an issue with Coinbase is an issue with Coinbase. It's completely possible to buy/sell/trade without Coinbase.
Coinbase, Mt Gox, Coincheck, Bithumb, NiceHash, and apparently even through phising google ads!
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Wowww I just downloaded coinbase three days ago. Haven't linked anything yet. Crazy. Was just about to start looking into Crypto too
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:37 pm

OK, I have 2 hours to kill in YUL, thanks to IRROPS.

Going to have a contest, with the winner getting the contents of @canadiancow's digital wallet, unless they have "mysteriously disappeared" or he loses the password.

I will walk from Gate 15 at YUL to Gate 67 (farthest two points in the main terminal). Guess the number of steps, distance and time it will take for this 50 year old to complete his journey!

I will send pics of my apple watch at the start and end of the trek, and I will not stop along the way (unless I get distracted by a TV showing grown men sliding face first down a frozen waterslide)
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:41 pm

I emptied my Coinbase account a long time ago.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Apple watch you say?

Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)

Going to have a contest, with the winner getting the contents of @canadiancow's digital wallet, unless they have "mysteriously disappeared" or he loses the password.

I will walk from Gate 15 at YUL to Gate 67 (farthest two points in the main terminal). Guess the number of steps, distance and time it will take for this 50 year old to complete his journey!

I will send pics of my apple watch at the start and end of the trek, and I will not stop along the way (unless I get distracted by a TV showing grown men sliding face first down a frozen waterslide)
2200 steps, 1.5km, 22 minutes.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
Apple watch you say?

huh???
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:52 pm

And I am off.......

Last edited by Yhztraveller; Feb 21, 2018 at 4:28 pm Reason: picture too big
Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:00 pm

oh, and I did get distracted, but not by the frozen waterslide.....

Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS

And I am off.......
I'm confused. It's 11:04 in YHZ. It is Midnight in .... Rio and BA? And 8:44 in... somewhere that isn't YUL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.