Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ite-asian-bias

Wilberg said that in 2016 and 2017, he and his fellow recruiters were told on several occasions to approve or dismiss job candidates based solely on whether they were women, black or Latino. In March 2017, a YouTube staffing manager emailed recruiters and told them, "Please continue with L3 [level three] candidates in process and only accept new L3 candidates that are from historically underrepresented groups." In another email, the same manager wrote, "We should only consider L3s from our underrepresented groups."
I actually been hearing rumbles from university classmates about this happening on the tech hiring side, at first I thought it was sour grapes but wow I guess its real.

Last spring, YouTube recruiters were allegedly instructed to cancel interviews with applicants who weren’t female, black or Hispanic, and to “purge entirely” the applications of people who didn’t fit those categories, the lawsuit claims.
People familiar with YouTube’s and Google’s hiring practices in interviews corroborated some of the lawsuit’s allegations, including the hiring freeze of white and Asian technical employees, and YouTube’s use of quotas.

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Mar 1, 2018 at 5:06 pm
Old Mar 1, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Yep, it’s positive discrimination I believe the term is. May not be politically correct to say but if I have 10 candidates for a software developer job odds are at most 3 will be women. If all three of them suck why should I have to hire an inferior candidate?

And for reference, last time we hired a male and female candidate the female was by far the best hire She quit for more money, the other moved on.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Competence, drive, and being a HR check-mark is a great path to success. Did she also have an impressive github history?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by jc94
Yep, it’s positive discrimination I believe the term is. May not be politically correct to say but if I have 10 candidates for a software developer job odds are at most 3 will be women. If all three of them suck why should I have to hire an inferior candidate?

I was sure the term was "reverse discrimination"

For those who weren't born yet, this was a most famous case https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regent..._Cal._v._Bakke
Old Mar 1, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Have you guys ever drove Vancouver to Winnipeg? It's good until Calgary and gets progressively worse and worse and once you get to Brandon you just want to give up. What a boring drive...

I appreciate flying so much more now.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
Competence, drive, and being a HR check-mark is a great path to success. Did she also have an impressive github history?
Was this at me? Was a junior position right out of University a number of years back, none of the candidates has anything on Github.

Originally Posted by 24left
I was sure the term was "reverse discrimination"

For those who weren't born yet, this was a most famous case https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regent..._Cal._v._Bakke
Possibly yeah, all the new fangled terms. Just hire the best person for the job regardless of age, sex, ethnicity or species.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 8:22 pm

So it’s 10:20 here in the center if the Universe and there is no snow, no rain and there’s barely any wind, I just went out for a 5km run and it’s actually quite pleasant.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 8:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ite-asian-bias

I actually been hearing rumbles from university classmates about this happening on the tech hiring side, at first I thought it was sour grapes but wow I guess its real.

I mean, it's sort of a historically revisionist argument. A lot of Canada and the US is built on what is essentially slave labour from Asian (including South Asian) countries up until the mid 1900s. Men would be brought over, work for a few years, then sent back if they survived. They were ineligible for citizenship. Women were rarely allowed to come over. So if in the decades since Asian/Indian American and Canadian males were able to truly consider themselves as American/Canadian, they have been able to turn themselves around, that doesn't mean they aren't disadvantaged. Similarly, the definition of white has changed pretty quickly: what was it only a few decades ago that the Irish (or Italians, I forget) were ruining society?

But that argument doesn't play as well with people, I guess
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by jc94
So it’s 10:20 here in the center if the Universe and there is no snow, no rain and there’s barely any wind, I just went out for a 5km run and it’s actually quite pleasant.
11:30pm here and it's snowing here. Sticking to cars but not to the roads....yet....lol
Old Mar 2, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: NEXUS GE, TSA-Pre, AC E50K
Just taking a temperature here, nothing set in stone yet.
Anyone interested in a mini-do in YVR on a Saturday early March? (Thinking March 3 or 10)
I could so a lunch mini do on the 10th. Assuming I can get my flight pass to work I'll land the night before.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:25 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
TFW the (LH) GA asks you to check your rollaboard because "it's full" but the overhead bins aren't even ⅓ full

I didn't do it
Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Just taking a temperature here, nothing set in stone yet.
Anyone interested in a mini-do in YVR on a Saturday early March? (Thinking March 3 or 10)
Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
RangerNS and I are discussing a “do” (do you need quotes??) for YHZ around the end of April. Early plans involve alcohol and throwing axes (at targets on a wall!). What coud go wrong???

Feel free to bring your favorite picture or corporate logo to use as a target.
March 3 is a no go for me. 10 is possible.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
March 3 is a no go for me. 10 is possible.
Both YVR and YHZ is a stretch on the same day, even for you, no?
Old Mar 2, 2018, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Both YVR and YHZ is a stretch on the same day, even for you, no?
Oops. Forgot what I had quoted. A week off and I don't know how to use FT any more

YVR is easy March 10.

I'd prefer 14 days notice for YHZ, to allow easy IKK, but I'm game.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:21 pm

You know with time zones you could do YHZ in the morning and YVR in the evening. Though transferring through YOW/YYZ in March .. eeek.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.