Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
WWYD? Would really appreciate some insight for people that are more experienced than me in the age of life...

You're 27, burnt out from current job and company, switching careers and relocating to a MUCH smaller city. Have two choices(zero travel for both, which is what I want right now):

A) Work a senor level consulting position in a small private company, make lots of $, but still continue to work crazy hours. Company has high expectations, so lots of pressure/stress.

B) Work an entry level role, take a step back and actually work a 9-5 in an office with zero stress, zero pressure and advancement opportunities later on for one of the largest companies in the world, with said firm. Make a considerable amount less $ and have to make a lifestyle change but actually have time to relax and have a life, no evenings, no weekends.

Starting to question why I am moving to YWG when job A) is what I'm leaving and job A) is what I'm going to. Now with Job B) on the table as well, I have to make a decision by Monday. I move this weekend. Getting so anxious that I have no clue what I want and what I'm doing... Money and success is important but I don't even know if I like what I do anymore. Job A and B are the same industry too. So stressed right now

Last edited by SKYEG; Feb 21, 2018 at 7:22 pm Reason: forgot I'm 27 not 26... WOW
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
What I would do would massively depend upon other factors beyond age.

My main thoughts would be:

Wife, girlfriend, husband, partner, kids? Both have or do you actually want them if not. Tried dating working 80h a week including evenings and weekends? Didn't work well for me.

Available funds, you renting or selling a million $ pad and buying a new place?
Lifestyle acceptance. You want to fly less, is that at all or just only pleasure? You want one domestic WS Y hop for $500 a year, a 200km roadtrip, or 3 TPAC J trips with a family. Would the lower salary and associated cost of living mean major sacrifices? That’s day to day as well as “vacations”.

I’d also query how stable job A is. What’s the risk of being laid off or fired, how good are you at this stuff, how stable is the market in that area?

I’d rather (and did) take risks at 27 vs 50. But I also enjoy living. That is working to live, not living to work. Again I’ve done both, but I have a few years on you.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I'd vote for option B as there's little time to enjoy the advantages the increased salary brings plus stress does take a toll over time. Regardless, best of luck with whichever career path you choose.

Last edited by tcook052; Feb 21, 2018 at 9:00 pm
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
I would go with option A, though I have been told by everyone who I worked with that I am a workaholic so take it with a grain of salt
You are only young once, might as well go all out for work, at least that's what my plan is for the next 10 years.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
I'd say none of the above. There has to be another option.

Take some time and figure out what you really want to do!

Your 26, sounds like you are single, with few ties. Seems to me its your chance to try something completely different.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA, AC
I don't think I could ever bring myself to select B and I've never made such a selection. No regrets.

When I was in a similar position my thinking was to select A, work like crazy, "make lots of $" and then retire young.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by After Burner
"make lots of $" and then retire young.
Did that work?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Did that work?
Not exactly.

(It's difficult to know if you really want to retire until you actually have the option to do so.)
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:52 pm

https://www.recode.net/2018/2/21/170...it-bus-cheaper

Uber is beginning to roll out a cheaper version of its ride-sharing UberPool service, called Express Pool. The service, which was being tested in Boston and San Francisco, is now available in Los Angeles, San Diego and Denver, and will launch in Miami, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C., tomorrow.

The idea is that Express Pool, which requires riders to walk a little to meet their driver — and then again to their destination after being dropped off — will make shared rides more efficient. If it works, it should both increase the number of rides that drivers can give and also make those shared trips faster for passengers.

The new service tests a thesis Uber has long had: Lower prices means higher utilization, and higher utilization means more money — both for drivers and for Uber. Also that road congestion is bad and the solution is to share more rides.
This could actually be game-changing.
During my recent visit in MIA/FLL, I was already shocked by how cheap the pool rides are ($3 per person for a 15-20 min ride)
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
https://www.recode.net/2018/2/21/170...it-bus-cheaper

This could actually be game-changing.
During my recent visit in MIA/FLL, I was already shocked by how cheap the pool rides are ($3 per person for a 15-20 min ride)
Express Pool has been live in SFO for quite a while. I had no idea it was just a limited trial.

My $8 ride becomes $4 if I add 4 minutes of walking. I pretty much take it every time, unless I'm carrying something large.
Jumper Jack likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Thanks for your opinions, I'll be reporting back with my decision on Monday... Lots of soul searching to do.

Don Cherry beaking the US team during coaches corner... Classic LOL
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Express Pool has been live in SFO for quite a while. I had no idea it was just a limited trial.

My $8 ride becomes $4 if I add 4 minutes of walking. I pretty much take it every time, unless I'm carrying something large.
$4 for how many km?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:02 pm

There’s working 90h a week and there’s being stressed 90h a week.

Except in almost all high pressure jobs these days you are going to be available 24/7. Which means 168h a week.

My work cell goes on DND 10pm to 7am. It also gets ignored while on vacation, most weekends, and any evening when I’m out.

But that’s something I get to do, in certain roles /
companies that’s not going to be acceptable. So I wouldn’t work there. I might have at 27; but I would have a 3-5 year exit plan.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:12 pm

$4 for how many km?
I nearly always walk up the road to meet my driver and get dropped off in a similar location. I do this for several reasons:

entering my one way system subjects cars to a
number of obnoxiously large speed bumps that if nothing else slows the driver and increases cost

if I’m clearly going out for the day / week I do not want them to know which it my house that may be unattended. On my return it gives me a chance to check the mail

given one way system there is zero chance I’ll miss them and given I don’t book Uber until I’m ready in case someone is near so I may as well be wander up the road

I think ones value in this depends where one lives. My area public transit score is 0 - It may be possible to get a bus. So any pick up location would likely be a trek and involve crossing major (4-8) lane of 60kph traffic.

Still, if time was not a factor might try it. I’ve heard horror stories about 10 min Uber’s taking an hour by pool though.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
$4 for how many km?
It was in SF. So like...3? Maybe?

It's something I would have paid $8 for, so was very happy to pay $4.

Originally Posted by jc94

I nearly always walk up the road to meet my driver and get dropped off in a similar location. I do this for several reasons:

entering my one way system subjects cars to a
number of obnoxiously large speed bumps that if nothing else slows the driver and increases cost

That's one of the benefits of Express Pool. They seem to cut out the stupid areas. Something as simple as "meet your driver at the northeast corner of the intersection" could save them 5 minutes if it avoids looping around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.