Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YYZ AC Delays - Runway Construction - April 7 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ AC Delays - Runway Construction - April 7 2017

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2017, 2:00 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
Not true. There was one for a while between 1800-1900.
Yup there was one for a while. The lights were flashing for at least 30mins.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:10 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Got out of YYZ on 4:10 PM flight yesterday and all was well (as was inbound on Wednesday--perhaps a 5 minute delay)--I live a charmed life^.

We did fly through rough weather fairly quickly though en route to YYC so don't doubt rapidly deteriorating weather/winds.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
My flight yesterday from YSB - scheduled 4:40 departure - was delayed four hours. Weather and, I'm sure, YYZ runway delays - there was quite the hail storm in Sudbury. Knocked out power to the airport, so the restaurant was closed, water fountains stopped working, and they closed the washrooms. And of course my laptop ran out of juice. (All this after I'd had a 2 1/2 hour delay out of YYC the night before (mechanical)!)

Luckily Bearskin came through with a bottle of water for me - kudos to them. AC could learn from them.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:19 am
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
On April 23 on AC 15, we took off on time at 10:09 and landed in Hong Kong 40 minutes ahead of schedule.

Perhaps morning flights are less affected than afternoon or evening flights?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Originally Posted by jsfrSE
Perhaps morning flights are less affected than afternoon or evening flights?
Only true out of YYZ. Any outstation going to YYZ, the morning flights have been fairly consistently cancelled, since the previous nights flights were cancelled, and there are no aircrafts.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 6:24 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Update: the flight I was originally going out on (AC145) was delayed almost 4 hours. Glad I took the earlier flight . . .
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question Pearson v. airlines : who to believe?

IMO, the real issue is cancellations. On April 28, my flight YYZ-YOW was one of many cancelled. It is a real dog & pony show.........the airline blames Pearson, and Pearson says the airlines decide which flights to cancel. Who to believe? Pox on both of them. It is possible to complete the runway construction and maintain flight schedules. But they don't/won't.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
I've been flying through YTZ on PD instead to avoid the YYZ clusterfudge where possible on shorthauls (more than enough AQD/AQM for 2018 status...). Having a jet/J for YYZ-YUL/NYC/YOW/whatever is not worth transiting YYZ right now IMO, at all.

Sat in Europe for the next while and hopefully the YYZ mess will be cleared up by the time I make it back...
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
IMO, the real issue is cancellations. On April 28, my flight YYZ-YOW was one of many cancelled. It is a real dog & pony show.........the airline blames Pearson, and Pearson says the airlines decide which flights to cancel. Who to believe? Pox on both of them. It is possible to complete the runway construction and maintain flight schedules. But they don't/won't.
100% it's the airlines choice. Neither we (ATC) nor they (GTAA) tell airlines which flights to fly and which to cancel. Same thing goes for delays..... The airlines decide on their own which to cancel and which to delay.

True story.... I was on a UAX flight from IAD back to YYZ last May. Got a 45min delay due thunderstorms.... just as we boarded for the new time, they announced a further 2 hours. I called work and asked what was up since from what I saw it wasn't that bad. Turns out our time hadn't changed. UA chose to give the time to a mainline ORD-YYZ flight and delay us further. That took the extra 2 hours out of weather outside of their control, to an operational decision and wholly within their control. I wrote in asking for compensation due to the delay, they initially responded "WEATHER", so when I wrote back telling them that if they checked, the first 45min was weather, the additional 2 hours was an operational choice, they came back with a reasonable compensation.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
The craziness continues today with YOW-YYZ.

Mrs. Simon is now taking PD instead to YTZ as a result.

They know this will happen every day, and no proactive measures are taken.

Someone should be getting sued.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Simon
The craziness continues today with YOW-YYZ.

Mrs. Simon is now taking PD instead to YTZ as a result.

They know this will happen every day, and no proactive measures are taken.

Someone should be getting sued.
What would you suggest? YOW-YUL-YTZ instead of YOW-YYZ?

I'd be very shocked if you couldn't ask for that.

I realize it's not "proactive" if you have to ask though.

I'm just glad I have no plans to fly to YYZ until late June. Not that I'm convinced things will be better then...
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
So now, because of all the cancellations all day, they have sent in a 777-300 to operate YOW-YYZ at 20:50.

Ridiculous.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
So now, because of all the cancellations all day, they have sent in a 777-300 to operate YOW-YYZ at 20:50.

Ridiculous.
AC new about the planned runway maintenance for a year and definite dates 6 months ago.
Clearly AC just have no ability to plan.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: AC 75K

Ridiculous.
That's also due to the fact AC889 returned to LHR so there wasn't a 767 to operate the flight.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:33 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
I had a friend trying to get to YUL on Thursday night and she was delayed. She finally got out early AM Fri. Felt so bad for her as she had meetings that morning

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.