Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YYZ AC Delays - Runway Construction - April 7 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ AC Delays - Runway Construction - April 7 2017

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Emerald Exec, HHG
The letter fails to mention that this is only phase 1 of the reconstruction, and that construction will resume again later this year. Its worded in a way to suggest " hang on, we're almost at May 16th"
Old May 5, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
What I suspect ended up happening is that GTAA provided a best case scenario (ie: here's what will happen if there's no rain, no wind, no this and that...) and they may have provided a worst case scenario. Airlines being airlines, they anticipated or planed according to a best case scenario. I think it is fair to say that April/May has seen more episodes of heavy rainfall and unfavorable wind conditions then would be seen on average -with the worst scenario materializing.

The one big difference that I have seen between WS and AC is that WS has had a tendency to just cancel the flights, whereas AC has kept a fair share going, but with significant delays. I had a colleague last week flying YOW-YYZ on WS and flights were cancelled one after another, but without much advance notice.

As to why an e-mail now, I suspect that this might be one of the worst weekend yet with all the rainfall warnings... I see many domestic QK flights currently being held at origin between 20:00-22:00, for departures scheduled this afternoon...
Old May 5, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Dear RatherBeInYOW,

If your travels have taken you through Toronto’s Lester B. Pearson Airport in recent weeks, you may have been impacted by the major construction project currently being undertaken at Canada’s busiest airport. At Air Canada, we have a responsibility to ensure your trip is safe, comfortable and on time, so when your plans are disrupted, we strive to take care of you and keep you informed along the way.

The Greater Toronto Airports Authority, the airport authority that oversees Pearson, is managing a major construction project to overhaul the busiest runway and its associated taxiways. The project started March 28 and is scheduled to be completed May 16, 2017. The positive news is that it is on schedule. The bad news is that the work is much more disruptive than anticipated, and recent weather conditions have only added to that difficulty. The customer experience travelling through Toronto during this time has been unpredictable at best, and downright frustrating at worst, due to extensive flight delays and a disproportionately large number of cancellations.

We are extremely sympathetic to the disruption this project is causing you. When the project is completed, it will be a big step forward. Right now, however, we want you to know that we understand the inconveniences – both big and small – that you are experiencing. We also want you to know we are doing our best to manage through this and want to help you in any way we can. While we are not managing the construction project, we will be doing everything within our power to help you get through the next few weeks with the least disruption.

Before departing for the airport, please check to ensure your flight is on time. When you arrive at the airport, please check in with us and let us know how we can help. Please see here for the latest updates on the runway construction.

Best regards,

Benjamin Smith
President, Passenger Airlines
Air Canada
Thank you.

I meant his email address. My fault. I wasn't clear.
Old May 5, 2017, 2:18 pm

What he could have said:

Right now, however, we want you to know that we understand the inconveniences – both big and small – that you are experiencing. We also want you to know we are doing our best to manage through this and want to help you in any way we can. THIS INCLUDES ADDITIONAL PAID OVERTIME FOR AN-ALL HANDS ON DECK SITUATION FOR OUR CALL CENTER STAFF, SO THAT WE CAN ANSWER YOUR CALLS QUICKLY, AND SOLVE YOUR PROBLEMS FAST.

But he didn't.

And so they have really done ..... nothing.

So it's hot air. Pathetic.
Old May 5, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Currently on the ground in ORD. AC 510 cancelled. Automatically re-booked on AC 512, 1.5 hours later. No chance that it will leave on time. Rush to the airport to see if AC 508 delayed - of course it is. Able to snag a SBY seat. 1 hour late pushing back with a 1 hour ground hold. Will depart essentially when AC 510 was supposed to leave.

The good news was they cleared everyone who was on 510 onto 508 as soon as you got to the gate.
Old May 5, 2017, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 172pilot
Currently on the ground in ORD. AC 510 cancelled. Automatically re-booked on AC 512, 1.5 hours later. No chance that it will leave on time. Rush to the airport to see if AC 508 delayed - of course it is. Able to snag a SBY seat. 1 hour late pushing back with a 1 hour ground hold. Will depart essentially when AC 510 was supposed to leave.

The good news was they cleared everyone who was on 510 onto 508 as soon as you got to the gate.
It's like everyone finally gets to experience what living in SFO is like!

I've definitely moved from a delayed 571 to a delayed 569 leaving at 571's departure time quite a few times.

At that point, I find even reservations will confirm the change for you, no questions asked.
Old May 5, 2017, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
What he could have said:

Right now, however, we want you to know that we understand the inconveniences – both big and small – that you are experiencing. We also want you to know we are doing our best to manage through this and want to help you in any way we can. THIS INCLUDES ADDITIONAL PAID OVERTIME FOR AN-ALL HANDS ON DECK SITUATION FOR OUR CALL CENTER STAFF, SO THAT WE CAN ANSWER YOUR CALLS QUICKLY, AND SOLVE YOUR PROBLEMS FAST.

But he didn't.

And so they have really done ..... nothing.

So it's hot air. Pathetic.
Yep! The letter seemed especially pointless. For sure, there are a pile of factors they cannot control and the vagaries of the weather are going to be unpredictable. I've had good trips through YYZ during the construction and really bad ones, and truly weather was the main issue that caused the massive delays. But, AC is not equipped to deal with delays and cancelations like they could be. It was a revelation to witness the contracted UA staff in CLE the other day dealing with the cancelation of several YYZ flights. A single rebooking took up to an hour. Why? Because the software would not allow reticketing so they had to call in. When they called in, they would either get put on hold and it wouldn't get picked up or it would ring and never get answered. So, it was a matter of redialing until it was picked up. In several cases, the agent walked with the passengers to the flight they were being rebooked onto (on UA and DL) to ensure they were boarded despite the ticket not yet being properly reticketed. They said they would get the paper work sorted later rather than have the passenger miss the new flight. These agents were at this all day (I know because we were in the airport for 13 hours) and said that if they were doing this on UA's system such a rebooking would take 5-10 minutes. But AC was always bad, they said.

So, here's the thing: if you know your software is crap and causes a huge amount of extra labour, why don't you invest in improving that so that it minimizes the effects of irrops? I know it's a standard thing to know that AC's IT is terrible, but when even the employees are being impacted hugely on an efficiency level you'd think it couldn't be ignored anymore.
Old May 5, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
QK ain't been doin' so hot during this mess. I swear there seems to be a higher ocurrence of QK cancelations/delays, but that could be observation bias on my part.

Old May 5, 2017, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by D404
QK ain't been doin' so hot during this mess. I swear there seems to be a higher ocurrence of QK cancelations/delays, but that could be observation bias on my part.
Yes. If the airport is capacity constrained, the airlines need to decide what flies and what doesn't. Typical plan is you cancel the short flights first. Easier (and cheaper) to get 50 people to Thunder Bay than 450 to Tokyo.
Old May 5, 2017, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I feel the pain here
Old May 6, 2017, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by rehoult
Yes. If the airport is capacity constrained, the airlines need to decide what flies and what doesn't. Typical plan is you cancel the short flights first. Easier (and cheaper) to get 50 people to Thunder Bay than 450 to Tokyo.
Definitely. Though, perhaps AC could have planned better than cancelling the same flights every day (and only on the day) for weeks, barring one or two or days.

I am curious how pax loads on TATL/TPAC/TCON are affected given the large mount of feeder flights (not just QK) that have been delayed (hence misconnecting pax) or cancelled. Maybe load factors stay the same since they empty seats are filled with yesterday's pax .

Originally Posted by acysb87
I feel the pain here
Old May 6, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Despite the construction and weather, I arrived YYZ last evening and had no delays to speak of. I wanted to post something that worked.

It was ACr, and I thought when I booked it earlier this week, it was 319 but it was a 763, so maybe other flights have been merged. I haven't done much checking to investigate.

We landed on the north-south runway and took the long way along the taxiways on the south and east side and the bags were a little longer to arrive than has been the norm at YYZ lately, but to be honest, it was acceptable given the surprisingly on time arrival.

There was some kind of media interview taking place as I exited the Customs hall so maybe they were on their best behaviour.
Old May 6, 2017, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

No bias. I see the same thing everyday since the construction started.
Old May 6, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite

Your data point shows 1 particular flight in each of the 2 examples. To say that QK is having trouble with it, show all of the YQT flights on each of the days and then maybe you point is valid. I am not trying to say that QK is without blame, but unless we have all the complete daily data, to say that 1 flight has been cancelled for several consecutive days doesn't necessarily mean that they haven't been operating all of the other flights on a given route close to on time.
Old May 6, 2017, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
Your data point shows 1 particular flight in each of the 2 examples. To say that QK is having trouble with it, show all of the YQT flights on each of the days and then maybe you point is valid. I am not trying to say that QK is without blame, but unless we have all the complete daily data, to say that 1 flight has been cancelled for several consecutive days doesn't necessarily mean that they haven't been operating all of the other flights on a given route close to on time.
Well that's why I said it could be me own bias based on what I fly and what departure gates I end up by to view. Those two were the first two flights I typed in, is all; not a proper sample size.

It's entirely anecdotal from me, mostly based off viewing the fun by D1-D12. I've also seen a few rescue flights go out, but those are harder to Google.

Could be fun if someone with e.g. a pro FR24 subscription ran the fleet-wide stats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.