Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YYZ AC Delays - Runway Construction - April 7 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ AC Delays - Runway Construction - April 7 2017

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2017, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
100% it's the airlines choice. Neither we (ATC) nor they (GTAA) tell airlines which flights to fly and which to cancel. Same thing goes for delays..... The airlines decide on their own which to cancel and which to delay.
Appreciate the candor.

...and this is why now that I have no more purchased itineraries via YYZ, I'm switching to DTW for a period of time.

Last edited by johnston21; May 1, 2017 at 6:12 am
Old May 1, 2017, 6:49 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
May 1 2017

Good morning?

Attached Images   
Old May 1, 2017, 10:24 am

Handy Big Picture http://www.toronto-pearson-airport.c...departures.php planning tool to see if it is worth getting to YYZ another way when YXU cancelled.
Old May 1, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Today:

Scheduled to go YYZ-ORD-DEN on UA. Flight delayed such that it arrived 2 hours after ORD-DEN departed, so changed to DL. 45 minutes late leaving.

Business partner was scheduled YYZ-DEN n/s on AC at 19:00 or so -- cancelled. No alternative flights, misses meeting.

This is an absolute cluster.
Old May 1, 2017, 8:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Simon
Today:

Scheduled to go YYZ-ORD-DEN on UA. Flight delayed such that it arrived 2 hours after ORD-DEN departed, so changed to DL. 45 minutes late leaving.

Business partner was scheduled YYZ-DEN n/s on AC at 19:00 or so -- cancelled. No alternative flights, misses meeting.

Will this mess cause enough people to completely avoid going to or through YYZ if they absolutely don't have to?

Wandering minds want to know.

Last edited by tcook052; May 1, 2017 at 9:45 pm Reason: off topic
Old May 2, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by 24left
Will this mess cause enough people to completely avoid going to or through YYZ if they absolutely don't have to?

Yes. I'm out. Until runway construction is over I will choose alternate routes or airlines. I would guess that I have been delayed 75 to 100 hours this year. AC doesn't care at all. (There is a long story on just how little they care but that is for another post.)

So I will transit through other Canadian cities on my way to the USA or just fly DL from YYC. No I don't think they are flawless but enough is enough.
Old May 2, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Originally Posted by 24left

If YYZ doesn't improve, I may seriously consider routing Europe-YYC/YEG-YWG-YQT next time I make that journey. Or terminating at YYZ and taking the UP & Shuttle to YTZ. Jazz flights are a total mess for the forseeable future.
Old May 2, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by D404
If YYZ doesn't improve, I may seriously consider routing Europe-YYC/YEG-YWG-YQT next time I make that journey. Or terminating at YYZ and taking the UP & Shuttle to YTZ. Jazz flights are a total mess for the forseeable future.
Fortunately for me, I have taken a 2 week break from flying with a trip coming up this Friday.
Am I right in assuming that widebodies and higher capacity planes are less likely to be delayed as compared to Jazz type of aircraft. I would like to plan my flights to minimize the chances of disruption. I am based near YYZ so not a lot of options unless I drive to BUF but that would still likely involve a cnx to get to where I need to go which 50% of the time is on the West Coast US.
Old May 2, 2017, 7:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Well, it all depends on one's location and perspective...

Attached Images  
Old May 2, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
For Rapidair flights YYZ-YUL, has anyone tried to be proactive and do a same-day change from YYZ to YTZ instead in order to avoid the delays?

Air Canada’s Rapidair service features:

Free same-day standby for an earlier flight, within the same airport
Same-day confirmed changes** for an earlier flight at check-in or the airport:
Free for Business Class, Latitude and Flex customers

$100 for customers travelling on a Tango fare
$75 with an Aeroplan reward ticket
Conveniently located check-in counters, kiosks, and departure gates
Complimentary shuttle bus service between downtown and Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport*

* Flights between Montreal and Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport are operated by Sky Regional.

** Same-day confirmed changes for an earlier flight are available between Toronto Pearson International and Billy Bishop Toronto City airports
Old May 2, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: *$ Green
Yes you can do that for free.

If I was doing a pure YUL to YTO, I wouldn't even bother with YYZ.

You can do it multiple days before your flight if there is an alert on the AC website.

Heck, I'd even change a YYZCDG to YTZYULCDG.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How about the guy with an unlimited flight pass that has 7 cancellations in April alone. Are there any extensions by AC to these passes when these runway repair issues continue ?
Old May 2, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Simon
Today:

My GF just got stuck in YYZ after they boarded YOW-YYZ on time (claiming on time departure) then sat on the ground for 2 hours, plus arrival delays due to holding and sitting on the ground. Missed her flight YYZ-LAX and they're claiming they're not responsible. (My original post on this will probably get moved into this thread shortly).

edit: she even got to YOW early enough to get on an earlier flight to YYZ and they wouldn't switch her. Seems like particularly poor planning and response to a predictable reduction in capacity.

Last edited by chrisl137; May 2, 2017 at 7:19 pm Reason: add new information.
Old May 2, 2017, 8:01 pm

Programs: AC 35k
I'm definitely out - I'll take UA out of U.S. hubs rather than risk this garbage. If I have to connect domestic I'll go through YUL.
Old May 3, 2017, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Sounds horrible. Glad my May flying is to Hamilton! Hope they have it resolved by June 1 as I do have a flight via YYZ then

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.