Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Can I Check-In at Check-In Assistance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Hello!

First time over hear at the AC Threads, I’m a long time UA Flyer that flies for leisure only. I’ve had Premier Silver status for three years, and every time I check in, I always check in at the “Premier Access” check in (Similar to Priority Check-In/Enregistrement on AC). Before I had United Silver, I used to check in at Economy/Additional Services desks, as I don’t like using kiosks for privacy reasons.

Anyway, I was checking in for my AC flight, and noticed that I wasn’t eligible to use the Priority Check In as a Star Alliance Silver, which was fine, as not all SA airlines give this amenity. So, the two other lines read “Bag Drop” where one started at kiosks, and then dropped them at counters. The other line read “Check-In Assistance”. Seeing as that line only had three people on the line, I decided to go there.

My question is: Do you have to use kiosks at AC to check in? And, if so, what is “Check-In Assistance”? It seems kind of redundant that you can’t get Assistance checking in at Check-In Assistance if that was the case.

Last edited by NikoLGA; Apr 24, 2020 at 10:34 am
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:28 pm

Officially AC employees are always supposed to be courteous and graceful to their customers, co-workers, etc. Even if they don't go to the right counter, board in the right zone, etc.

Unofficially....

Truth be told, many front-line AC employees are severely over-worked, stressed out, and suffer from poor mental health as a result. So they over-react.

You could write the company. They'll probably send you a discount code in response. But that aside, I'm not sure what other remedy you have other than to vote with your wallet (is the competition really better though??), or put up with it.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pitz
Officially AC employees are always supposed to be courteous and graceful to their customers, co-workers, etc. Even if they don't go to the right counter, board in the right zone, etc.

Unofficially....

Truth be told, many front-line AC employees are severely over-worked, stressed out, and suffer from poor mental health as a result. So they over-react.

You could write the company. They'll probably send you a discount code in response. But that aside, I'm not sure what other remedy you have other than to vote with your wallet (is the competition really better though??), or put up with it.
Thanks for the reply

I don’t need to write to the company, I full understand that employees are stressed and are human at times, that happens to me in my line of work as well, and I wouldn’t want to get her in any trouble.

I just didn’t know if that was an Air Canada policy, or un-official custom that AC Flyers did or not. I was just so shocked because I had never been told by a check in rep that she didn’t want to and couldn’t check me in on any airline, and the “policy” she was quoting seemed arbitrary.

For future reference, though, is “Check-In Assistance” the main/ full service check in line, or is it called something else?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis

For future reference, though, is “Check-In Assistance” the main/ full service check in line, or is it called something else?
Unless you are entitled to some level of priority check-in or have a check-in issue/special need requiring the "Assistance" desk, AC offers:
- mobile check-in
- web check-in
- kiosk check-in
with a bag drop

Otherwise, officially there is no main/full service check-in line (at least for domestic flights).
Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:55 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
My parents have completely refused in the past to check in via a kiosk (and hadn't checked in online for other reasons). They preferred a long queue for check in assistance where they were checked in without any problems.
I'm pretty sure this was domestic and international. I don't see how they could not offer this for some of the older generation. I know people who refuse to own a cell phone or computer and definitely couldn't handle a kiosk.Personally I've grabbed my luggage tags and then gone to priority checkin once due to a long bag drop queue. The friendly agent had to take my tag OFF
my bag as apparently she couldn't work with it, only the bag drop counter could, and had to print a new one; indicating not all counters are the same.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

So, I heard back from Air Canada.

I decided to tweet them I general question : “Can I check in at the Check-In Assistance counter as opposed to a Kiosk if I choose?”

Their response was: "Yes, certainly. Unless of any technical problems - and it would be advise to all - you should be able to choose either.” /vv
Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Sounds like you had an AC employee having a bad day.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:45 pm

I have been directed away from the check in counters and towards the kiosks at YVR numerous times when flying AC, LH, AA (including when flying AA business class).
Old Feb 2, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
This page, "How to Check In" does not make it clear that passengers are entitled to check in with an agent. It lays out the three options of Web, Mobile and Kiosk, lists the services that all three options offer, then at the very bottom list the following exceptions for "When to check in with an airport agent"

The following customers will need to check in with an airport agent:
  • Children travelling with our Unaccompanied Minor service
  • Customers requiring medical assistance, the use of a wheelchair or whose reservation contains a special request
  • Passengers travelling with a pet in the cabin or the baggage compartment

It does seem unless one of these 3 exceptions applies, requiring "Check in Assistance", there is no counter available for "Check in".

Not relevant to OP but related to human check-ins, mentions of AC Priority check-in on ac.com do not explicitly list "human" as a service, however my experience is human has never turned me back to a kiosk in these lines, AA, DL, UA and AC... had a short lecture from AA in YVR to which I merely smiled silently and did not waver... without a single word from me it finished with "Here are your boarding passes. Thank you Mr. Cargo for being Platinum."
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
UA in Honolulu only has self check-in for business class and higher tier members. Not sure about Economy. This is not new. Their system, at least in HNL, is quite different and confusing. There is one agent to "supervise". Very poorly done.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
This page, "How to Check In" does not make it clear that passengers are entitled to check in with an agent. It lays out the three options of Web, Mobile and Kiosk, lists the services that all three options offer, then at the very bottom list the following exceptions for "When to check in with an airport agent"

The following customers will need to check in with an airport agent:
  • Children travelling with our Unaccompanied Minor service
  • Customers requiring medical assistance, the use of a wheelchair or whose reservation contains a special request
  • Passengers travelling with a pet in the cabin or the baggage compartment

It does seem unless one of these 3 exceptions applies, requiring "Check in Assistance", there is no counter available for "Check in".

Not relevant to OP but related to human check-ins, mentions of AC Priority check-in on ac.com do not explicitly list "human" as a service, however my experience is human has never turned me back to a kiosk in these lines, AA, DL, UA and AC... had a short lecture from AA in YVR to which I merely smiled silently and did not waver... without a single word from me it finished with "Here are your boarding passes. Thank you Mr. Cargo for being Platinum."
I’m pretty sure they don’t promote it (even for Priority) because they want more people using newer faster channels to reduce queuing.

Anyway, now that I have confirmation that you are allowed to use traditional methods if I want to, I have reached a conclusion that the agent was just like having a bad day like SKYEG said.

The funny thing about this is, like it or not, kiosks are replacing customer service agents, an agent should be happy that a customer wants to check in with him or her.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 3:01 am

I’m pretty sure they don’t promote it (even for Priority) because they want more people using newer faster channels to reduce queuing.

Anyway, now that I have confirmation that you are allowed to use traditional methods if I want to, I have reached a conclusion that the agent was just like having a bad day like SKYEG said.

The funny thing about this is, like it or not, kiosks are replacing customer service agents, an agent should be happy that a customer wants to check in with him or her.
Agreed, it's like the cashier at the super market that is upset I want to use their line instead of the self check-out machines. If we all used them she would be out of a job!
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat

Anecdotally, many agents will oblige manual check-in requests, and a twitter agent replied with a "common sense" answer, but that does not mean policy is in fact to allow it.

She was having a bad day for sure, and perhaps she was taking it out on AC by actually enforcing official policy? I mean, we've never heard of union members working to rule before... =)
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
Anecdotally, many agents will oblige manual check-in requests, and a twitter agent replied with a "common sense" answer, but that does not mean policy is in fact to allow it.

She was having a bad day for sure, and perhaps she was taking it out on AC by actually enforcing official policy? I mean, we've never heard of union members working to rule before... =)
Can you point me to anywhere it says it's not allowed?

The only thing I see is an indication of when you MUST check in with an agent.

A => B does not suggest !A => !B
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:50 am

I've never had an agent refuse service. If I see a long line-up, I'll use the kiosks. But for some reason, either my passport doesn't scan properly or my aeroplan card doesn't work roughly 40% of the time I try to use the kiosks... so if I see a short line, I just skip the kiosks and tell the holder of the key that my card doesn't scan and they just let me though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.