Wiki Posts
Search

Standby and Upgrade List

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
But like. Why would you standby for a flight you can SDC to for free?
1. You can't SDC after the flight closes.
2. You may not know for sure you can make the flight, so if your confirmed flight is J0/J1 whatever, you're taking a huge risk if you can't make it.
3. The flight you want is J0, but there's a chance of a no-show.

I have experienced 1 & 2.

This really just comes back to me wanting consistent priorities.

Before check-in, YB matter more than status. After check-in, status matters more.

Before the flight closes, a full J fare has priority over eUps for a flight. After the flight closes (but before the onload list is processed), eUps have priority.

Anyway, this is all just my opinion, and I think I've said everything on my mind, so we should probably get back to the topic of the public standby and upgrade lists
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Would AC ever kick a confirmed eUp down due to a full J on standby? I assume this is just for those on the upgrade list, as in waitlisted.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
. . . and I am not sure this is totally relevant to the discussion but status and paying continues to matter.

Flying Flex M on AC145 eupgraded to J
wanted to get on flight 5 hours earlier AC125 in J (no econo classes for sale)
both flights overbooked but AC145 overbooked more (my original flight)

Concierge said I likely would get on in J (2 spots open) on free standby given status (at about 1 hour before flight time) but could confirm me for $75.00 even though no econo available since my flight more oversold.

I said i like certainty--paid my $75 and got home 5 hours earlier than planned.

Plane was packed and I am sure some standby e-upgraders not too happy. While I have empathy for their plight , I never appeared on any upgrade or standby list and while somebody thought they might have been at or near top of the list with a good chance, I may have taken 'their" seat. Moral--if you need to shell out a few bucks, it is often a wise choice to get what you want/need.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
. . . and I am not sure this is totally relevant to the discussion but status and paying continues to matter.

Flying Flex M on AC145 eupgraded to J
wanted to get on flight 5 hours earlier AC125 in J (no econo classes for sale)
both flights overbooked but AC145 overbooked more (my original flight)

Concierge said I likely would get on in J (2 spots open) on free standby given status (at about 1 hour before flight time) but could confirm me for $75.00 even though no econo available since my flight more oversold.

I said i like certainty--paid my $75 and got home 5 hours earlier than planned.

Plane was packed and I am sure some standby e-upgraders not too happy. While I have empathy for their plight , I never appeared on any upgrade or standby list and while somebody thought they might have been at or near top of the list with a good chance, I may have taken 'their" seat. Moral--if you need to shell out a few bucks, it is often a wise choice to get what you want/need.
Given that the list is now public, if standby is free and SDC is paid (which may only be common in I class and on Rapidair), you could always go standby, see where you are on the list, and then make a decision about paying the fee.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: AC S100K
Originally Posted by canadiancow
After the flight closes (but before the onload list is processed), eUps have priority.
How do you figure this? In my experience there's a crucial few minutes here where the good grace of the flight controller will usually result in the opposite outcome.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by BlueMilk
How do you figure this? In my experience there's a crucial few minutes here where the good grace of the flight controller will usually result in the opposite outcome.
I've been told several times that standby is the only option once the flight closes.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: AC S100K
I've been told several times that standby is the only option once the flight closes.
Maybe so, but the flight controller can clear you from standby and assign a seat before processing the upgrades.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by BlueMilk
Maybe so, but the flight controller can clear you from standby and assign a seat before processing the upgrades.
And if that were audited, they'd probably get in trouble
Old Apr 29, 2017, 12:59 am

I've been reading through the Delta Shena thread (“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread). I wonder if we'll start seeing more posts like this, now that all Android and iOS users can access the list on all routes.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I've been reading through the Delta Shena thread (“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread). I wonder if we'll start seeing more posts like this, now that all Android and iOS users can access the list on all routes.
<flailing arms>privacy! Privacy! Privacy! Safety first! Safety first! Privacy! The laser in your portable CD player is going to crash the plane!</flailing arms>
Old Apr 29, 2017, 7:44 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I had also read part of that thread. Funniest stuff. Those DL FT people have quite the sense of humour. Also, looks like DL IT works somewhat better than AC IT:

Originally Posted by Buccaneeratheart
....Shena operates manually. IT operates haphazardly.
LOL

Originally Posted by yyznomad
<flailing arms>privacy! Privacy! Privacy! Safety first! Safety first! Privacy! The laser in your portable CD player is going to crash the plane!</flailing arms>
LOLLLLL Nomad. Wait until one of them mentions a Walkman.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Just curious, as this now seems to be working reliably from iOS and I can actually check what is going on...

Is the upgrade list listed in order or priority for eUps that have already cleared? Meaning if I was number #1 on the list with the green checkmarks, does that mean I was first to upgrade or had the highest priority to upgrade? I know that isn't mutually exclusive, but lets say, for arguments sake, I was SE 3MM on a P fare but upgraded at T-36 hours. After 5 other SE on M fares (no MM status) who upgraded between T-14 days and T-5 days. Would I be first or 6th on the list of confirmed upgrades?
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:03 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ridefar
Just curious, as this now seems to be working reliably from iOS and I can actually check what is going on...

Is the upgrade list listed in order or priority for eUps that have already cleared? Meaning if I was number #1 on the list with the green checkmarks, does that mean I was first to upgrade or had the highest priority to upgrade? I know that isn't mutually exclusive, but lets say, for arguments sake, I was SE 3MM on a P fare but upgraded at T-36 hours. After 5 other SE on M fares (no MM status) who upgraded between T-14 days and T-5 days. Would I be first or 6th on the list of confirmed upgrades?
It seems the green checkmarked folks are just listed alphabetically.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by yyznomad
lol hey! My CD player was a serious flight risk in 1992, you should have seen how the staff on board reacted when they saw me using it!
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ffsim
It seems the green checkmarked folks are just listed alphabetically.
I can attest with 100% certainty that isn't the case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.