Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Standby and Upgrade List

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Because it makes no sense from a business perspective, on a flight that's wide open in Y, to put the P25K on a G fare into J, and someone (any/no status) on a J fare into Y.

I don't even understand how "it's always worked this way" is even an argument. At one point, that was probably said about why women shouldn't be allowed to vote. Things can change for the better.

People buy flexible tickets to make last minute changes (like walking up to a gate before the onload list is processed), and shouldn't be penalized with a downgrade.
I get what you're saying about the business perspective, but you also cannot penalize people who hold confirmed reservations for the flight in question. Can you imagine if a SE on standby trumps a non-status GTE (who holds a confirmed reservation) on a sold-out flight?

As far as standbys go, they've always been prioritized lower than pax on confirmed reservations. I see this as being fair. By purchasing a flexible J/Y ticket, you have the option of confirming yourself on the flight, too, as long as you do it at least two hours before scheduled departure.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YYT82
I get what you're saying about the business perspective, but you also cannot penalize people who hold confirmed reservations for the flight in question. Can you imagine if a SE on standby trumps a non-status GTE (who holds a confirmed reservation) on a sold-out flight?

As far as standbys go, they've always been prioritized lower than pax on confirmed reservations. I see this as being fair. By purchasing a flexible J/Y ticket, you have the option of confirming yourself on the flight, too, as long as you do it at least two hours before scheduled departure.
I'm not talking about clearing standby when the flight is full. That would be dumb.

I'm talking about a flight were the entire onload list is going to clear anyway, and just the order.

Due to these rules, I book the earliest flight I might make, then just SDC later if I can't make it. It wastes concierge time, but it ensures I have a confirmed reservation in J.

Anyway, my point is just that the list is now more accurate.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:53 pm

I'm not talking about clearing standby when the flight is full. That would be dumb.

I'm talking about a flight were the entire onload list is going to clear anyway, and just the order.

Due to these rules, I book the earliest flight I might make, then just SDC later if I can't make it. It wastes concierge time, but it ensures I have a confirmed reservation in J.

Anyway, my point is just that the list is now more accurate.
If the J cabin is pretty empty and you're going to clear anyway, it's really a non-issue isn't it?

I wish the list would default to the upgrade list first, because it's been a few times now I checked my name to see where I land and thought I got dropped, only to realize that I was looking at the standby list.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: *$ Green
I feel like the order is fair.

If it's a J pax, he can get a confirmed change anyway.

If it's a latitude FP pax, he can cancel, change, and reupgrade for a confirmed change.

If it's a P fare. Well, who knows. Maybe that flight was P0 and they cheaped out.

I see no issue with giving priority to eUp on the current flight before standbys. It's the flight they paid for. Stand by is space permitting, so if there's space once all is said and done, then good. If not, then keep the booked flight.

But I can see how this is just putting the SE at a disadvantage, but hey, can't have it all
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:43 pm

If the J cabin is pretty empty and you're going to clear anyway, it's really a non-issue isn't it?

I wish the list would default to the upgrade list first, because it's been a few times now I checked my name to see where I land and thought I got dropped, only to realize that I was looking at the standby list.
The standby/upgrade names are wrong.

It's a Y list and J list.

J standby shows on the "upgrade" list.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
I feel like the order is fair.

If it's a J pax, he can get a confirmed change anyway.

If it's a latitude FP pax, he can cancel, change, and reupgrade for a confirmed change.

If it's a P fare. Well, who knows. Maybe that flight was P0 and they cheaped out.

I see no issue with giving priority to eUp on the current flight before standbys. It's the flight they paid for. Stand by is space permitting, so if there's space once all is said and done, then good. If not, then keep the booked flight.

But I can see how this is just putting the SE at a disadvantage, but hey, can't have it all
I also agree this is fare, because otherwise you will have people booking P/Z fares on a A320/321 etc on YYZ - YVR and then switching to the 787/777.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: AC SEMM, NEXUS
Don't know if it's been mentioned before, but as of today the standby and upgrade list is also available on the iOS app ^
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
I also agree this is fare, because otherwise you will have people booking P/Z fares on a A320/321 etc on YYZ - YVR and then switching to the 787/777.
Domestic SDC is free on P fares, so why should standby get the shaft?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:35 am

Domestic SDC is free on P fares, so why should standby get the shaft?
Because P/Z fares are restricted discounted fares. Otherwise why buy flexible J/C fares?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:47 am

Because P/Z fares are restricted discounted fares. Otherwise why buy flexible J/C fares?
First of all, every NA P fare I've bought in the past year has free SDC.

Second, my example above was a full J fare.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:58 am

SDC is confirmed change anyway, not stand by, so it's not as if they get the shaft.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:08 am

SDC is confirmed change anyway, not stand by, so it's not as if they get the shaft.
Thank you.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:29 pm

But if they go standby (which I have done on J Z P R I), they do.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 3:49 pm

But if they go standby (which I have done on J Z P R I), they do.
But like. Why would you standby for a flight you can SDC to for free?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
But like. Why would you standby for a flight you can SDC to for free?
You can only SDC to a flight with positive space of some sort. You can standby to a flight without space, in case it opens. Perhaps someone doesn't show up in time, or cancels.

I've never SDC'ed, but I've been put on standby for free because I got in early and AC seemed keen to to get me home early, and did

I have no idea my standby screwed up someones eUp. But J was full, and I was flying J, or P. Probably Z or D. Can't recall which but it was a final TB hop on paid international business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.