Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Standby and Upgrade List

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
The flight was oversold. GTEs are on the top of the SB list.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Makes sense. I'd assume any "mishandling" risk would go ahead of everything else.

But you will always be my #1 .

​​​​​​
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Once the flight closed, I was on the top of the list again. A learning experience for me.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Once the flight closed, I was on the top of the list again. A learning experience for me.
So I guess you didn't make it...?

Onto the originally planned flight?

I sometimes think YYJ needs a MLL but it's an ok airport.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
So I guess you didn't make it...?

Onto the originally planned flight?

I sometimes think YYJ needs a MLL but it's an ok airport.
Correct, back to plan A. I would love it if they had a MLL, but it would probably be similar to YQR.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Okay, if you guys want to have fun with speculation, here is one for you. I am flying YYJ YVR. I showed up in time for the 12:15, but was booked on the 14:45. I went on the standby list. When the flight closed, I was number 1, but didn't clear. I was then transferred to the SB list on the 13:55 flight. I started at the top, but am currently in the number 5 position. I am flying on a latitude fare. What 4 people have trumped me in this line?
That's already been discussed here. GTE shows on the list, and since they're already confirmed, they're naturally at the top. I was showing on the list with a check mark recently because my 763 was downgauged to a 321, which presumably had me GTE for a while before someone said "oh maybe we should give this SE in paid J a seat assignment".

As for my situation, being able to see that I cleared J gave me incentive to run for it (as 423 was also showing full with me at #2 ).

I made it with plenty of time to spare.

Heck, I wish there weren't a list. Then I would have walked, still made it, and had 4DF to myself instead of being 4A with 4C occupied (if he gets up, I'm moving, but I'm not asking him to get up).
Old Oct 22, 2017, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
That's already been discussed here.
Now It has been discussed twice. I hope you all are paying attention.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: AC SEMM, NEXUS
Heck, I wish there weren't a list.
You mean, like last year? You always have the option of not looking at the list, you know.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:01 pm

6 of us (SE) on standby for a flight.

They clear number 1. He was going to give it up and give it to another of our party, but that would be a voluntary decision made by all six of us.

Then they unclear number 1, and clear number 7.

GA's explanation was that "we don't do standby at this airport".

Thank god the list was available so we could see this crap.

First of all, is she saying that when I buy a full Y fare, I'm not allowed to go standby on an earlier flight?

I've been here in the past where I walked up to the gate and asked to be put on standby...

Second, then how did we get put on standby? Maybe it was service recovery for another issue. Maybe it was because another airport on our itinerary has a waiver, and this is the easiest way to alleviate any potential issues.

If you don't want to put us on standby, fine. But to suggest that we're not entitled to standby, when we're ALREADY ON STANDBY, is insane.

p.s. it was YQB
Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Ha lovely YQB! I was #1 on the standby list 12 hours prior to flight, being a SE on a Latitude fare. 2 hours before flight I was #9 . I don't believe there were eight SEMMs on full Y fares. I did not clear standby, but I knew there was a cancelled flight the night before, so it could have been that IRROPS recovery standbys have higher priority than even SEs.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I note as a data point that on my opUp today, I was nowhere to be seen on the upgrade list... the backend is apparently "rebooking" me, not "upgrading" me. This seems right to me, but may explain some weirdness in other situations.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by YYT82
Ha lovely YQB! I was #1 on the standby list 12 hours prior to flight, being a SE on a Latitude fare. 2 hours before flight I was #9 . I don't believe there were eight SEMMs on full Y fares. I did not clear standby, but I knew there was a cancelled flight the night before, so it could have been that IRROPS recovery standbys have higher priority than even SEs.
GTE will appear on the list, and they're above anyone not confirmed on the flight.

That's not shenanigans.

This case was very clearly shenanigans.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
6 of us (SE) on standby for a flight.

They clear number 1. He was going to give it up and give it to another of our party, but that would be a voluntary decision made by all six of us.

Then they unclear number 1, and clear number 7.

GA's explanation was that "we don't do standby at this airport".

Thank god the list was available so we could see this crap.

First of all, is she saying that when I buy a full Y fare, I'm not allowed to go standby on an earlier flight?

I've been here in the past where I walked up to the gate and asked to be put on standby...

Second, then how did we get put on standby? Maybe it was service recovery for another issue. Maybe it was because another airport on our itinerary has a waiver, and this is the easiest way to alleviate any potential issues.

If you don't want to put us on standby, fine. But to suggest that we're not entitled to standby, when we're ALREADY ON STANDBY, is insane.

p.s. it was YQB
Now you know how I feel as I fly out of YQB all the time. The agents are not well trained and ill-informed but insist that they are always right. But wait, they work at the airport

They rarely follow SOP, whether it's the priority line at check-in or priority boarding. So I'm not surprised that something "happened" with the standby list.

To be fair, they are not all bad. I know one that is very good and I'm always glad when I see her at the counter/podium.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Um. Anyone notice the list has been broken since Saturday morning? Or is it just me?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by DNAwizard
Now you know how I feel as I fly out of YQB all the time. The agents are not well trained and ill-informed but insist that they are always right. But wait, they work at the airport

They rarely follow SOP, whether it's the priority line at check-in or priority boarding. So I'm not surprised that something "happened" with the standby list.

To be fair, they are not all bad. I know one that is very good and I'm always glad when I see her at the counter/podium.
Same here, YQB is my home airport. I've noticed since the last couple of months that some agents' interpretation of the rules have changed, and not for the best. As DNAwizard points out, there are a few pretty good agents but most are terrible and can't tell the difference between a waitlisted and a confirmed eUp. Standby used to be pretty easy as well - not anymore. Apparently they got a memo and were told to be much more strict on who should be allowed to standby but they obviously don't understand the 'subtleties' of the system.

PS: I am writing this from the YQB lounge right now, the only place airside where you can get some food that doesn't come out of a vending machine these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.