Standby and Upgrade List

Reply

Old Apr 26, 17, 1:18 pm
  #226  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: YYT/YYC/TPE
Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Posts: 1,451
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Because it makes no sense from a business perspective, on a flight that's wide open in Y, to put the P25K on a G fare into J, and someone (any/no status) on a J fare into Y.

I don't even understand how "it's always worked this way" is even an argument. At one point, that was probably said about why women shouldn't be allowed to vote. Things can change for the better.

People buy flexible tickets to make last minute changes (like walking up to a gate before the onload list is processed), and shouldn't be penalized with a downgrade.
I get what you're saying about the business perspective, but you also cannot penalize people who hold confirmed reservations for the flight in question. Can you imagine if a SE on standby trumps a non-status GTE (who holds a confirmed reservation) on a sold-out flight?

As far as standbys go, they've always been prioritized lower than pax on confirmed reservations. I see this as being fair. By purchasing a flexible J/Y ticket, you have the option of confirming yourself on the flight, too, as long as you do it at least two hours before scheduled departure.
YYT82 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 17, 1:47 pm
  #227  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 27,893
Originally Posted by YYT82 View Post
I get what you're saying about the business perspective, but you also cannot penalize people who hold confirmed reservations for the flight in question. Can you imagine if a SE on standby trumps a non-status GTE (who holds a confirmed reservation) on a sold-out flight?

As far as standbys go, they've always been prioritized lower than pax on confirmed reservations. I see this as being fair. By purchasing a flexible J/Y ticket, you have the option of confirming yourself on the flight, too, as long as you do it at least two hours before scheduled departure.
I'm not talking about clearing standby when the flight is full. That would be dumb.

I'm talking about a flight were the entire onload list is going to clear anyway, and just the order.

Due to these rules, I book the earliest flight I might make, then just SDC later if I can't make it. It wastes concierge time, but it ensures I have a confirmed reservation in J.

Anyway, my point is just that the list is now more accurate.
canadiancow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 17, 1:53 pm
  #228  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: YYT/YYC/TPE
Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Posts: 1,451
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I'm not talking about clearing standby when the flight is full. That would be dumb.

I'm talking about a flight were the entire onload list is going to clear anyway, and just the order.

Due to these rules, I book the earliest flight I might make, then just SDC later if I can't make it. It wastes concierge time, but it ensures I have a confirmed reservation in J.

Anyway, my point is just that the list is now more accurate.
If the J cabin is pretty empty and you're going to clear anyway, it's really a non-issue isn't it?

I wish the list would default to the upgrade list first, because it's been a few times now I checked my name to see where I land and thought I got dropped, only to realize that I was looking at the standby list.
YYT82 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 17, 1:56 pm
  #229  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: sqrt(-united states of apologist)
Programs: sqrt(-school of apologist)
Posts: 4,949
I feel like the order is fair.

If it's a J pax, he can get a confirmed change anyway.

If it's a latitude FP pax, he can cancel, change, and reupgrade for a confirmed change.

If it's a P fare. Well, who knows. Maybe that flight was P0 and they cheaped out.

I see no issue with giving priority to eUp on the current flight before standbys. It's the flight they paid for. Stand by is space permitting, so if there's space once all is said and done, then good. If not, then keep the booked flight.

But I can see how this is just putting the SE at a disadvantage, but hey, can't have it all
SparseFlyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 17, 3:43 pm
  #230  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 27,893
Originally Posted by YYT82 View Post
If the J cabin is pretty empty and you're going to clear anyway, it's really a non-issue isn't it?

I wish the list would default to the upgrade list first, because it's been a few times now I checked my name to see where I land and thought I got dropped, only to realize that I was looking at the standby list.
The standby/upgrade names are wrong.

It's a Y list and J list.

J standby shows on the "upgrade" list.
canadiancow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 17, 9:34 pm
  #231  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: YVR / PHX
Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Posts: 5,405
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer View Post
I feel like the order is fair.

If it's a J pax, he can get a confirmed change anyway.

If it's a latitude FP pax, he can cancel, change, and reupgrade for a confirmed change.

If it's a P fare. Well, who knows. Maybe that flight was P0 and they cheaped out.

I see no issue with giving priority to eUp on the current flight before standbys. It's the flight they paid for. Stand by is space permitting, so if there's space once all is said and done, then good. If not, then keep the booked flight.

But I can see how this is just putting the SE at a disadvantage, but hey, can't have it all
I also agree this is fare, because otherwise you will have people booking P/Z fares on a A320/321 etc on YYZ - YVR and then switching to the 787/777.
Sean Peever is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 17, 9:18 am
  #232  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: YUL
Programs: AC SE, NEXUS
Posts: 858
Don't know if it's been mentioned before, but as of today the standby and upgrade list is also available on the iOS app
gabdusch is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 17, 10:30 am
  #233  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 27,893
Originally Posted by Sean Peever View Post
I also agree this is fare, because otherwise you will have people booking P/Z fares on a A320/321 etc on YYZ - YVR and then switching to the 787/777.
Domestic SDC is free on P fares, so why should standby get the shaft?
canadiancow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 17, 10:35 am
  #234  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: YYT/YYC/TPE
Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Posts: 1,451
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Domestic SDC is free on P fares, so why should standby get the shaft?
Because P/Z fares are restricted discounted fares. Otherwise why buy flexible J/C fares?
YYT82 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 17, 10:47 am
  #235  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 27,893
Originally Posted by YYT82 View Post
Because P/Z fares are restricted discounted fares. Otherwise why buy flexible J/C fares?
First of all, every NA P fare I've bought in the past year has free SDC.

Second, my example above was a full J fare.
canadiancow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 17, 10:58 am
  #236  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: sqrt(-united states of apologist)
Programs: sqrt(-school of apologist)
Posts: 4,949
SDC is confirmed change anyway, not stand by, so it's not as if they get the shaft.
SparseFlyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 17, 11:08 am
  #237  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: YYT/YYC/TPE
Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Posts: 1,451
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer View Post
SDC is confirmed change anyway, not stand by, so it's not as if they get the shaft.
Thank you.
YYT82 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 17, 1:29 pm
  #238  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 27,893
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer View Post
SDC is confirmed change anyway, not stand by, so it's not as if they get the shaft.
But if they go standby (which I have done on J Z P R I), they do.
canadiancow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 17, 3:49 pm
  #239  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: sqrt(-united states of apologist)
Programs: sqrt(-school of apologist)
Posts: 4,949
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
But if they go standby (which I have done on J Z P R I), they do.
But like. Why would you standby for a flight you can SDC to for free?
SparseFlyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 17, 4:18 pm
  #240  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Posts: 5,218
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer View Post
But like. Why would you standby for a flight you can SDC to for free?
You can only SDC to a flight with positive space of some sort. You can standby to a flight without space, in case it opens. Perhaps someone doesn't show up in time, or cancels.

I've never SDC'ed, but I've been put on standby for free because I got in early and AC seemed keen to to get me home early, and did

I have no idea my standby screwed up someones eUp. But J was full, and I was flying J, or P. Probably Z or D. Can't recall which but it was a final TB hop on paid international business.
jc94 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread