Wiki Posts
Search

2017 Altitude Program

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2016, 10:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
It not about your mailing address, but your legal address. 2 different things.
Yes, and in terms of what Aeroplan asks for, it's MAILING ADDRESS.

I have no way to specify a country of RESIDENCE.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 10:27 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yes, and in terms of what Aeroplan asks for, it's MAILING ADDRESS.

I have no way to specify a country of RESIDENCE.
I agree with you.

Having said that, do you think AE and/or AC will agree with you?

Do you think that the distinction you are making (no matter how valid) would matter to AC or AE if they decided that you were actually still a Canadian resident and decided to withdraw benefits and close your account?
Old Nov 20, 2016, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It not about your mailing address, but your legal address. 2 different things.
You did not check the Aeroplan web page, did you?
Old Nov 20, 2016, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by ridefar
I agree with you.

Having said that, do you think AE and/or AC will agree with you?

Do you think that the distinction you are making (no matter how valid) would matter to AC or AE if they decided that you were actually still a Canadian resident and decided to withdraw benefits and close your account?
I think AC could ask for proof of residency, and if you fail to provide it, they could force you to hit the resident requirements.

I don't think they'd close your account over it.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
I think AC could ask for proof of residency, and if you fail to provide it, they could force you to hit the resident requirements.

I would like to think they are that reasonable. DC's escapades make me wonder. I also think that if I was AC in this case, my immediate suspicion would be that you were claiming to be a foreign resident only to gain access to benefits, that I would think that constitutes fraud, and you would be gone. Of course, it is just speculation, but I wouldn't want to bet my status and the 1,100,000 AE points in my account that you are right and not me.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 10:53 am

I'd bet otherwise, especially if someone changed their address (i.e. not a longstanding foreign address). The Altitude page specifically note that the reduction is based on being a non-resident, and by changing an address someone was making a deliberate attempt to avoid a requirement. Easy revocation.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 11:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Stranger
You did not check the Aeroplan web page, did you?
Yes I did, it states non-Canadian resident.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by ridefar
I would like to think they are that reasonable. DC's escapades make me wonder. I also think that if I was AC in this case, my immediate suspicion would be that you were claiming to be a foreign resident only to gain access to benefits, that I would think that constitutes fraud, and you would be gone. Of course, it is just speculation, but I wouldn't want to bet my status and the 1,100,000 AE points in my account that you are right and not me.
Well if you had to do this, it would be due to not being able to hit the Canadian residency requirements. So you wouldn't really be "betting" your status on it

But where do you SPECIFY your residency?

Show me a screenshot.

Until they actually ask you where you RESIDE instead of where you want your MAIL, they're going to have a hard time accusing anyone of fraudulently claiming to be a non-resident.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by 100,000miler
Great new announcement for parents.

However in 2007 when I had a cancer treatments over over 2 months, I requested same leave to retain my status. Never granted and frankly I hold that against AC as being very uncaring.
As I posted, certain things are unavoidable but certainly not raising children which is a planned commitment for many years. Sacrifices are often required in life, and losing status for not flying should be one of them. Perhaps the managers at AC these days are too young to know what stands ahead of them and millions of their members. Governments are learning that taking care of parents is becoming as critical for society's consideration as having and raising children.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I said Aeroplan. Not Altitude. Just checked again, in your profile, you specify your mailing address. If you go to the "current" (old) aircanada.com, ditto. Beta, it asks for "contact information."

None of these talk about residence.

Even if Altitude (should really be attitude..) mentions "residence" you have no way to tell them.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I wouldn't call it discriminatory. As explained by others above, it is a definable easily established period. That doesn't mean I don't agree with your point, because you have just highlighted the health crisis our nation is facing: Elder care. I don't think there is anyone who hasn't seen the impact of it and it's awful.

The problem we run into with trying to extend something to address the condition you describe is that it is next to impossible to define and enforce the characteristics to apply. It would be open to significant abuse. How do we prove that a family member we care for has dementia requiring our curtailment of activity? Parental leave is easy to determine as per the specified requirements. I'll never benefit from maternity leave as I do not have a uterus (that I am aware of). Nor will I qualify for parental leave as I am not currently in a relationship with anyone with a fertile uterus willing to offer up its reproductive capacity such that I might avail myself of paternity leave. However, I don't begrudge those that wish to use the altitude option.
In most cases, elder care is related to a very determined end-of-life situation whereby leave is taken from employment for a period of time. It is not an ongoing circumstance over a period of many years. A friend just lost her 90+ mother to cancer which forced an adjustment to her life of about 9-months. This seems increasingly common among friends of a certain generation, themselves in the final years prior to retirement.

My point was that a similar consideration be made in such circumstances where a defined period of time is known. And similar consideration vis a vis prolonged medical treatment requiring a "grounding' for several months as referenced by 100,000miler.

As for pouting cats, learn to post an actual comment instead of a juvenile comeback.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 1:08 pm
Suspended

But where do you SPECIFY your residency?

Show me a screenshot.
Attached Images  
Old Nov 20, 2016, 1:10 pm

That is not a screenshot of where you SPECIFY your residency.

You are deliberately ignoring what I'm asking for because you know I'm right but won't let this go.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stranger
I said Aeroplan. Not Altitude. Just checked again, in your profile, you specify your mailing address. If you go to the "current" (old) aircanada.com, ditto. Beta, it asks for "contact information."

None of these talk about residence.

Even if Altitude (should really be attitude..) mentions "residence" you have no way to tell them.
Airline status is Altitude. Aeroplan does not have any E or SE status.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 1:22 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.