Wiki Posts
Search

2017 Altitude Program

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2016, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rehoult
There are no immigration issues with it; all the various Governments care about is what you declare to them, not what you happen to tell a random private company.

OTOH, if I was AC I'd cross-reference anyone who changed their residency with them against their ATIS entries. And if someone was declaring Canadian residency to all Government agencies, but telling AC they were US resident, that's an easy status revocation.
You're missing my point. Nowhere in the Aeroplan profile does it ask for a "residency" address.

It asks for a "mailing" address.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by rehoult
OTOH, if I was AC I'd cross-reference anyone who changed their residency with them against their ATIS entries. And if someone was declaring Canadian residency to all Government agencies, but telling AC they were US resident, that's an easy status revocation.
However, it is quite possible to legitimately be a resident of two countries.

I see nothing wrong with a genuine dual-resident providing their non-Canadian address to AE (and their Cdn address to customs/immigration when entering Canada).

FWIW, I also see nothing wrong with AE asking for "proof of residency" (e.g. utility bill etc.) as some corporations do.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Who would be that stupid to do this for a Airline FF program? There are a lot of customs/ legal issues this could cause you.
lol really to change your mailing address.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 5:49 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
compassionate leave?

Great new announcement for parents.

However in 2007 when I had a cancer treatments over over 2 months, I requested same leave to retain my status. Never granted and frankly I hold that against AC as being very uncaring.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 6:57 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I changed my address to USA and there was no problem at all. My dashboard reflected the new target.
There was no request for proof. They occasionally mail stuff to your home so are taking a risk using anything other than an address you regularly occupy.
When I was back from USA, I changed the address back and the dashboard reverted. No muss no fuss.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by 100,000miler
Great new announcement for parents.

However in 2007 when I had a cancer treatments over over 2 months, I requested same leave to retain my status. Never granted and frankly I hold that against AC as being very uncaring.
Sorry to hear, but glad to see you are flying again.

This would be a perfect example of Shareholder's point upthread.
And further to rehoult's point about deferral, AC could have provided an extension here at the least for the period that 100,000miler could not fly due to his treatments.

Either way, while it is nice that AC made this "progressive" decision with parental leave, I agree with others here that there should be consideration for other reasons and yes, while there may be those tempted to abuse this, I am sure rules or guidelines can be established.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by ridefar
As do I.

But.

Quick survey: when was the last time that you saw a pregnant woman traveling for work? What percentage of FFers are expectant females?

So while I too think this is a fair and reasonable thing for AC to offer, I have a suspicion that it is a lot more about PR than it is about doing something positive for any significant number of people. My guess is that a) the demographic in question is a tiny fraction of 1% to start with, and that people that use this and continue to be FF after maternity (or paternity) will be an even smaller number. Just sayin'.
My friend flies regularly for work and was disappointed she lost her status. Coworkers wife the same. The reason you don't see it is because they usually stop flying by 6 months and many women are not "obviously visibly pregnant" until month five +/-
Old Nov 19, 2016, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I wouldn't call it discriminatory. As explained by others above, it is a definable easily established period. That doesn't mean I don't agree with your point, because you have just highlighted the health crisis our nation is facing: Elder care. I don't think there is anyone who hasn't seen the impact of it and it's awful.

The problem we run into with trying to extend something to address the condition you describe is that it is next to impossible to define and enforce the characteristics to apply. It would be open to significant abuse. How do we prove that a family member we care for has dementia requiring our curtailment of activity? Parental leave is easy to determine as per the specified requirements. I'll never benefit from maternity leave as I do not have a uterus (that I am aware of). Nor will I qualify for parental leave as I am not currently in a relationship with anyone with a fertile uterus willing to offer up its reproductive capacity such that I might avail myself of paternity leave. However, I don't begrudge those that wish to use the altitude option.
Don't need a uterus, you can adopt too
Old Nov 19, 2016, 8:35 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by YEG2MM
The requirement is that you reside outside of Canada. To claim an address where you don't reside would be dishonest. You decide if your moral compass allows you to do that, whether others get away with it or not.
Would Air Canada's "moral compass" "allow" this?
Old Nov 19, 2016, 8:47 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Originally Posted by aventure
Increasingly disapointing FF program. I'm considering splitting my travels in two : Gold / E75 on AC with minimum $9K spent and get gold status on Skyteam with the other half . If i am not going to make SE again, i might as well try and get gold with 2 groups. Or just gradually switch to another star carrier such as LH .
This is exactly what I have done. Mind you, I keep SE (barely) and get my decent status with DL.

So when I go to Europe and Asia where AC counts for very little AQD/AQM, I use DL.

AC is forcing our spend on to other carriers. I have no need to beyond the minimum SE requirements and 2MM is just not worth aiming for.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by Cozmo456
This is exactly what I have done. Mind you, I keep SE (barely) and get my decent status with DL.

So when I go to Europe and Asia where AC counts for very little AQD/AQM, I use DL.

AC is forcing our spend on to other carriers. I have no need to beyond the minimum SE requirements and 2MM is just not worth aiming for.
I'm surprised no one thought of using an address outside Canada other than the US if they are worried about tax/residence paperwork. There are lots of countries that couldn't give a hoot if AC said you "resided" in their borders.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
However, it is quite possible to legitimately be a resident of two countries.

I see nothing wrong with a genuine dual-resident providing their non-Canadian address to AE (and their Cdn address to customs/immigration when entering Canada).

FWIW, I also see nothing wrong with AE asking for "proof of residency" (e.g. utility bill etc.) as some corporations do.
Canada does not allow dual-residents to have 2 legal resident addresses.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Canada does not allow dual-residents to have 2 legal resident addresses.
So what do people have to do then?

But anyway, aeroplan.com is not asking for "legal resident" address, but merely for a mailing address.

If I happen to be in Europe or the US, or Brazil, for a few months, I end up having a mailing address there. Which surely is not illegal.

The trick is then to make sure the stay abroad coincides with the Dec.-January period.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 9:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by flybit
lol really to change your mailing address.
It not about your mailing address, but your legal address. 2 different things.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM
I have a legal and mailing address in the US. But I chose to keep the Canadian address since getting the AQM/AQS requires a spend of $20k anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.