FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   New eUpgrade Requirements! Co-pay for lower flex fares (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1789272-new-eupgrade-requirements-co-pay-lower-flex-fares.html)

capedreamer Jan 1, 2018 10:39 am

Upgrading from Tango promo: Only to J but not PY?

Apologies if this has been covered in the past, but wanted to confirm the accuracy of my understanding. Current promotion allowing upgrading from Tango is only applicable to Business but not Premium Economy?

yyznomad Jan 1, 2018 10:46 am

Originally Posted by capedreamer (Post 29236380)
Apologies if this has been covered in the past, but wanted to confirm the accuracy of my understanding. Current promotion allowing upgrading from Tango is only applicable to Business but not Premium Economy?

the discussion about this occurs in this thread

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28605587-post169.html

look in the posts around my post 169... anyway, yes, it's only to J not PY.

please note that the title of the thread was updated to reflect change in copays and the branded fares "debacle."

capedreamer Jan 1, 2018 10:54 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 29236400)

the discussion about this occurs in this thread

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28605587-post169.html

look in the posts around my post 169... anyway, yes, it's only to J not PY.

please note that the title of the thread was updated to reflect change in copays and the branded fares "debacle."

Thanks very much!

yyznomad Jan 1, 2018 11:05 am

Originally Posted by capedreamer (Post 29236429)
Thanks very much!

Np.
the other thing missing is being able to upgrade with eUps (and possibly copay) from Aeroplan PY to J. Not that it would be necessarily something that people would be looking to do, but just pointing out that such an option does not exist.

montrealer Jan 2, 2018 8:49 pm

Bug or feature? Pax on SE's points ticket upgrade with SE's eups!

I gave an old friend a (IKK in Y) points ticket to come visit me from Florida as a Xmas present. Maybe a bad idea given the cold wave (he's wearing my spare parka these days...), but otherwise fine.

Today I checked my eUp acct and lo and behold, -6 eUps for *his* flight came out of my account. He's not a frequent flyer and doesn't know the lingo, but turns out at checkin online he was given the option to "upgrade ORD-YYZ for $125", which he thought was "cheap" and paid the $ out of his own pocket, ignoring stuff he didn't understand about "e-something". Turns out AC just took eUps out of my account, presumably since my FF # is on the ticket since it came from my points. He definitely is not my nominee, nor was I travelling with him.

Now, as it happens he used 6 pts I would have orphaned come Feb, so this is actually a + this time from my point of view. Personally, I wouldn't pay $125+0 points for ORD-YYZ, but had I known he would have wanted this, and that's is possible to upgrade someone like this, I would have cheerfully done it. But if I had carefully just enough pt lefts for eUpping my own and/or my wife's upcoming trips to Europe, and he accidentally zinged those pts, I would have been pretty surprised and upset.

So - is this a fluke IT bug of some sort? Or is it intended behaviour, which could be super for the right kind of ticket-for-a-friend and a big pitfall in other cases?

yyznomad Jan 2, 2018 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by montrealer (Post 29242589)
I gave an old friend a (IKK in Y) points ticket to come visit me from Florida as a Xmas present. Maybe a bad idea given the cold wave (he's wearing my spare parka these days...), but otherwise fine.

Today I checked my eUp acct and lo and behold, -6 eUps for *his* flight came out of my account. He's not a frequent flyer and doesn't know the lingo, but turns out at checkin online he was given the option to "upgrade ORD-YYZ for $125", which he thought was "cheap" and paid the $ out of his own pocket, ignoring stuff he didn't understand about "e-something". Turns out AC just took eUps out of my account, presumably since my FF # is on the ticket since it came from my points. He definitely is not my nominee, nor was I travelling with him.

Now, as it happens he used 6 pts I would have orphaned come Feb, so this is actually a + this time from my point of view. Personally, I wouldn't pay $125+0 points for ORD-YYZ, but had I known he would have wanted this, and that's is possible to upgrade someone like this, I would have cheerfully done it. But if I had carefully just enough pt lefts for eUpping my own and/or my wife's upcoming trips to Europe, and he accidentally zinged those pts, I would have been pretty surprised and upset.

So - is this a fluke IT bug of some sort? Or is it intended behaviour, which could be super for the right kind of ticket-for-a-friend and a big pitfall in other cases?

regarding the ability to eupgrade from a Aeroplan Y ticket, this is a well known and documented time limited eupgrade promotion that has been discussed here. That's all I'll say. The others can discuss other parts of your post.

BlondeBomber Jan 2, 2018 9:43 pm

Not unintended but it explains why in January points came out of my account to upgrade the daughter and son-in-law coming from Chile to Canada on an Aeroplan ticket out of my account. They weren't charged anything though (they were in Premium Economy)!

I was trying to do the upgrade for them myself but was unable prior to flight time. They asked the agent about possibility for upgrade and she said no way you are going to get it. I guess my priority applied and they snagged the last 2 seats. They took out 26 eupgrade credits for the two tickets (should have been 52, maybe one was comped due to MY status--they have no status with AC) out of my eupgrade account. i was quite happy they got the upgrade as that was what I was trying to accomplish but couldn't.

yyznomad Jan 2, 2018 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber (Post 29242797)
Not unintended but it explains why in January points came out of my account to upgrade the daughter and son-in-law coming from Chile to Canada on an Aeroplan ticket out of my account. They weren't charged anything though (they were in Premium Economy)!

I was trying to do the upgrade for them myself but was unable prior to flight time. They asked the agent about possibility for upgrade and she said no way you are going to get it. I guess my priority applied and they snagged the last 2 seats. They took out 26 eupgrade credits for the two tickets (should have been 52, maybe one was comped due to MY status--they have no status with AC) out of my eupgrade account. i was quite happy they got the upgrade as that was what I was trying to accomplish but couldn't.

and to be clear here, there is no eupgrade promotion that allows for Aeroplan PY to upgrade to J.

in fact, I don't think this even exists on the eUp charts. (?)

Eugeniusz Bodo Jan 2, 2018 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer (Post 27175981)
Ok, what am I missing here? J class to Pudong is $3500 RT.
The cheapest fare to upgrade is $820 + 26 credits + $850 CAD (taxes incl.)
That's $1670 plus the credits, right? OK. so please explain why you think that a Tango fare customer is going to be able to easily upgrade
You are aware that on the longhaul routes, the load factory is rather high? There is an ongoing issue of overbooking.
Then there are going to be the aeropoint addicts who will want their full points and will fly in flex and will also assume that they will stand a better chance of an upgrade. However, more likely will be the folks in PE looking to upgrade and they will occupy a higher part of the pecking order.

I appreciate that you like living life on the edge, an adventurer, willing to try new things like red tortilla chips vs yellow, or wearing those odd fitting boxer briefs from HM which I can't wear because I am too fat and too old. However, it seems to me that it is very, unlikely you will score the upgrade from a Tango fare. In plane language you are deluded. (Yes, I know it should be plain, but this is an air travel forum and I am trying to show off my grasp of language, and offer a witty pun, which I shouldn't have to explain, but I just know someone will notice). Of course, I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time, but I just think you are setting yourself up for heartbreak. Unless you have an ability to charm the system. Everyone's going to be upgrading, so it's going to be difficult to get one. What am I missing?

I scored in December an upgrade to J on Tango from Vancouver to Brisbane. Lottery really. And, YES, I was really surprised to get it! I don't use my credits much as I am normally on 80 minutes flights between Vancouver and Alberta. And I think I will continue to gamble on those long hauls!:)

BlondeBomber Jan 3, 2018 6:34 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 29242813)

and to be clear here, there is no eupgrade promotion that allows for Aeroplan PY to upgrade to J.

in fact, I don't think this even exists on the eUp charts. (?)

That's true--which is why I was surprised that it all worked out.

yyznomad Jan 3, 2018 9:02 am

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber (Post 29243980)
That's true--which is why I was surprised that it all worked out.

so the eUps yanked from your account were completely arbitrary as there is no published "business rule"...

BlondeBomber Jan 3, 2018 11:25 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 29244591)

so the eUps yanked from your account were completely arbitrary as there is no published "business rule"...

Appears so--I had no explanation, now way of figuring out what was appropriate level of points but it was OK by me since the "kids" flew in the class of service that I wanted.

canadiancow Jan 3, 2018 2:32 pm

I have some speculation-without-evidence about this, but it could be due to some FQTV changes in the system (there have definitely been changes).

This seems like an inappropriate use though. Per policy, this should not have been allowed. And what if you wanted to fight it? You never authorized the use. They were not your nominee. I suspect they'd have to give you the credits back.

This is something that needs fixing. It makes me much more hesitant to book Y for anyone now :p

BearGuy85 Jan 16, 2018 3:46 pm

E-Upgrades for SE100k Members

I'm not sure if people are aware, but now you have to check the type of Flex Fare you book with AC if you want to use your e-Upgrade credits without having to make a co-pay as a SE 100k member. All Flex fares used to be co-pay free for SE 100k members, but with recent changes a co-pay is now included ... unless you want to spend almost as much as a Latitude fare but get Flex fare conditions.

I'm beyond angry at this, and sick of AC whittling away all the privileges that come with SE 100k status. I know I sound like a cry-baby, but when you spend enough money over 8 years to buy your own plane, and see the inside of their planes more than you do your own home, you would think they would take better care of you.

Thoughts from the hive?

j_the_p Jan 16, 2018 4:46 pm

Welcome to FT @BearGuy85. There's been lots of discussion on this. :)

PB53x11 Jan 17, 2018 6:22 am

Yes, welcome to FT! And I'm fully with you on this - if I'm not on a flight pass I'm required to book lowest flex, so I'm caught. Another "enhancement" by AC, this time devaluing eupgrade credits.

yyznomad Jan 17, 2018 7:57 am

A reminder to some... that the Flex fares that need copay are not part of the original Flex fare classes that continue to have no copay.

All copays are required where Flex shares fare classes with Tango, differentiated by the TG and FL fare bases.

So yes "low" "Flex" (i.e. the new TG Flex fares that share the same classes as Tango) requires copay, but if these "low" "Flex" fares had been called something else like "TinkyWinky", then nobody would be complaining about Flex because nothing would have changed.

The thing that sucks for those is having corporate policies that require Tango or the *new* "low Flex" class ranges which both require copay.

ffsim Jan 17, 2018 8:05 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 29303559)
A reminder to some... that the Flex fares that need copay are not part of the original Flex fare classes that continue to have no copay.

All copays are required where Flex shares fare classes with Tango, differentiated by the TG and FL fare bases.

So yes "low" "Flex" (i.e. the new TG Flex fares that share the same classes as Tango) requires copay, but if these "low" "Flex" fares had been called something else like "TinkyWinky", then nobody would be complaining about Flex because nothing would have changed.

The thing that sucks for those is having corporate policies that require Tango or the *new* "low Flex" class ranges which both require copay.

Actually, the thing that sucks is going for a Flex fare, being given a "new TG Flex fares that share the same classes as Tango" and only finding out at the time of requesting an upgrade that a co-pay is required.

Unless I'm mistaken, the only way to determine if you're going to get a co-pay is by comparing all TG and FL fares on a given route. Is there an easier way to avoid surprises?

yyznomad Jan 17, 2018 8:23 am

Originally Posted by ffsim (Post 29303594)
Actually, the thing that sucks is going for a Flex fare, being given a "new TG Flex fares that share the same classes as Tango" and only finding out at the time of requesting an upgrade that a co-pay is required.

Yep. I'm just clarifying for some who think that AC suddenly made pre-existing Flex fare classes have copay, which is not the case. And I'm certainly not defending AC on any of this.

Unless I'm mistaken, the only way to determine if you're going to get a co-pay is by comparing all TG and FL fares on a given route. Is there an easier way to avoid surprises?

Nope. Not at this time.

expert7700 Jan 17, 2018 10:03 am

Actually, I think that pricing out a one way and picking 'show only flights available with upgrade" will do this. The screen that shows # of credits required also shows a copay, and also has a link to show the cost of a flight with less eups (and likely no copay) required

yyznomad Jan 17, 2018 10:16 am

Originally Posted by expert7700 (Post 29304066)
Actually, I think that pricing out a one way and picking 'show only flights available with upgrade" will do this. The screen that shows # of credits required also shows a copay, and also has a link to show the cost of a flight with less eups (and likely no copay) required

I tried messing around with this just now and still can't find a way to figure it out.

None of the Flex options, for any date I choose (and for a route, say YYZ YVR) show eups + copay under Flex. It just gives the old option of choosing a higher Flex, which gives the lesser eup requirement. The only place it shows copay is, as expected, under Tango. But under Flex, there is no way to pick one of three (10 eUps + copay, 10eUps only, and choose higher Flex). Do you have an example where it shows a copay amount under Flex?

canadiancow Jan 17, 2018 10:28 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 29304146)
I tried messing around with this just now and still can't find a way to figure it out.

None of the Flex options, for any date I choose (and for a route, say YYZ YVR) show eups + copay under Flex. It just gives the old option of choosing a higher Flex, which gives the lesser eup requirement. The only place it shows copay is, as expected, under Tango. But under Flex, there is no way to pick one of three (10 eUps + copay, 10eUps only, and choose higher Flex). Do you have an example where it shows a copay amount under Flex?

On YVR-YYZ, I couldn't get it to show any Flex lower than G, so it can only show the 10 eUp and 4 eUp options.

On YWG-YYZ, it offered me 6 eUps + $100 (Flex T), but also gave me the option for 6 eUps (Flex G). However, it did not then offer me a Flex H to save a few eUps.

yyznomad Jan 17, 2018 10:33 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 29304202)
On YVR-YYZ, I couldn't get it to show any Flex lower than G, so it can only show the 10 eUp and 4 eUp options.

On YWG-YYZ, it offered me 6 eUps + $100 (Flex T), but also gave me the option for 6 eUps (Flex G). However, it did not then offer me a Flex H to save a few eUps.

Ok I see that too now.

It's like they have a problem with showing all three choices. Design constraint or whatever. Lame.

ffsim Jan 17, 2018 11:47 am

Originally Posted by expert7700 (Post 29304066)

Thanks ^

Bottom line about the current website restrictions:

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 29304230)
Lame.

PB53x11 Jan 17, 2018 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 29303559)

As one of those required to (sometimes) book lowest flex, I wonder if it's worth lobbying AC to have the low flex fares split out into TinkyWinky fare class so I don't have to be booked into them.

:D

tomvancouver Jan 17, 2018 7:33 pm

I don't think Flex lower than G is offered on this route.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...3184846117.jpg

Yhztraveller Jan 17, 2018 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by PB53x11 (Post 29306327)
As one of those required to (sometimes) book lowest flex, I wonder if it's worth lobbying AC to have the low flex fares split out into TinkyWinky fare class so I don't have to be booked into them.

:D

personally, I think the new fare class should be called Po, or maybe Pooh.....

yosemite1 Jan 22, 2018 12:36 pm

eUpgrade on Aeroplan Redemption?

Sorry if this is a stupid question,

Can I use an eUpgrade on an Aeroplan Redemption?

ie. Book in Y (YYZ > LAX 50k points round trip) and then eupgrade to J (is it even worth doing this?)

Jumper Jack Jan 22, 2018 12:39 pm

Not really because of COPAY, I think its $300 or 350 one way..

Also wait, I am pretty sure YYZ LAX R/T is 25K ?

yyznomad Jan 22, 2018 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by yosemite1 (Post 29325387)
Sorry if this is a stupid question,

Can I use an eUpgrade on an Aeroplan Redemption?

ie. Book in Y (YYZ > LAX 50k points round trip) and then eupgrade to J (is it even worth doing this?)

1. YYZ LAX rt for 50K is already a business redemption, so you're entitle to business even if seated in the Y cabin and you don't need eUps to do that.
2. And yes, you can eUp on an X booking as per https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ade-offer.html and covered ad nauseum in this forum. AFAIK, this promotion ended for requests as of January 8, 2018, but it is possible that AC will extend it again since they have done so over and over for the last 1.5 years.

Also:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...lex-fares.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...de-2018-a.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...assic-x-j.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...-j-ticket.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...t-rewards.html

yyznomad Jan 22, 2018 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack (Post 29325403)

It's 10 eUps plus $150 at check-in from X.

But it shows request made as of January 8, 2018, which means it is technically over, unless there was yet another extension that we don't know about yet.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ade-offer.html

Jumper Jack Jan 22, 2018 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 29325436)
It's 10 eUps plus $150 at check-in from X.

But it shows request made as of January 8, 2018, which means it is technically over, unless there was yet another extension that we don't know about yet.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ade-offer.html

1) Its extended to April ,2018
2) It says starting at 150, I am fairly certain it was 300 or 350 for a TCON route from YYZ

Lol I would be able confirm, IF ONLY the stupid website would work

yyznomad Jan 22, 2018 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack (Post 29325448)
1) Its extended to April ,2018

Right. What was the date again?
Ok, the link shows April 17, 2018.

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack (Post 29325448)
2) It says starting at 150, I am fairly certain it was 300 or 350 for a TCON route from YYZ

Yes, I vaguely recall this too.

Yhztraveller Jan 23, 2018 12:43 pm

Email from concierge two days ago when I asked about an eup for my wife, who was on an AP ticket (MCO-YHZ): "We have reviewed your booking and found out that the fare basis for Mrs. Yhztraveller is not eligible for Eupgrade. With that said if you would opt for a paid upgrade the fee would be CAD329.70."

When I replied Sunday night asking why I could not eup an AP ticket I received the following response on Monday morning: "I apologize if there may have been a miscommunication prior. What my colleague had mentioned is a paid confirmed upgrade of $329.70CAD. However, Aeroplan and Air Canada is extending their promotion to upgrade reward tickets until April 17, 2018. Should you request for Mrs. Yhztraveller to be on the standby list for AC1219 tomorrow, it would require 6 credits + $150CAD add-on fee."

Miscommunication?? They originally say that the fare basis is not eligible, then say it is, for 6 eups and $150. It gets better though, as a local Halifax concierge replied as well: "I was able to get your eupgrade request processed and your wife can be put on the list, however it would be 6 credits and 100$ add on fee."

There were only 4 of 14 seats occupied in J on the flight. They offered me an upgrade at the airport, but would not upgrade my wife, so I declined (for the sake of my marriage). I even tried to point out that she is a 50k member, but as usual, that doesn't matter on someone else's AP ticket. No biggy, as the flight was only 1/2 full and we had a row to ourselves in "premium economy".

To make a long story short, eups on AP tickets extended to April 17th, and depending on which concierge you get you might get a different answer on the fee.

ffsim Jan 23, 2018 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Yhztraveller (Post 29329839)
To make a long story short, eups on AP tickets extended to April 17th, and depending on which concierge you get you might get a different answer on the fee.

And to make a short story shorter, eUpgrade credits are worth* between $38.28 and $29.95 depending on which concierge you talk to ;)

*only if your waitlist clears

yyznomad Jan 23, 2018 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Yhztraveller (Post 29329839)
Email from concierge two days ago when I asked about an eup for my wife, who was on an AP ticket (MCO-YHZ): "We have reviewed your booking and found out that the fare basis for Mrs. Yhztraveller is not eligible for Eupgrade. With that said if you would opt for a paid upgrade the fee would be CAD329.70."

When I replied Sunday night asking why I could not eup an AP ticket I received the following response on Monday morning: "I apologize if there may have been a miscommunication prior. What my colleague had mentioned is a paid confirmed upgrade of $329.70CAD. However, Aeroplan and Air Canada is extending their promotion to upgrade reward tickets until April 17, 2018. Should you request for Mrs. Yhztraveller to be on the standby list for AC1219 tomorrow, it would require 6 credits + $150CAD add-on fee."

Miscommunication?? They originally say that the fare basis is not eligible, then say it is, for 6 eups and $150. It gets better though, as a local Halifax concierge replied as well: "I was able to get your eupgrade request processed and your wife can be put on the list, however it would be 6 credits and 100$ add on fee."

There were only 4 of 14 seats occupied in J on the flight. They offered me an upgrade at the airport, but would not upgrade my wife, so I declined (for the sake of my marriage). I even tried to point out that she is a 50k member, but as usual, that doesn't matter on someone else's AP ticket. No biggy, as the flight was only 1/2 full and we had a row to ourselves in "premium economy".

Hey, at least they didn't say that you needed positive R space and that the lights need to be kept on. :)

But then again, they work at the airport.

YOWgary Jan 24, 2018 2:36 pm

This week I learned that while eUps are calculated as if you were flying direct from origin to destination, co-pay is calculated per segment.

So, for example, on this week's YOW-YYC-YVR, the eUp requirement is 10 credits for YOW-YYC, and 4 for YYC-YVR, but only 10 for YOW-YYC-YVR.

The co-pay, however, asked for $150 YOW-YYC, or $75 for YYC-YVR, or $225 for YOW-YYC-YVR.

ffsim Jan 24, 2018 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by YOWgary (Post 29335000)
This week I learned that while eUps are calculated as if you were flying direct from origin to destination, co-pay is calculated per segment.

So, for example, on this week's YOW-YYC-YVR, the eUp requirement is 10 credits for YOW-YYC, and 4 for YYC-YVR, but only 10 for YOW-YYC-YVR.

The co-pay, however, asked for $150 YOW-YYC, or $75 for YYC-YVR, or $225 for YOW-YYC-YVR.

Way to be inconsistent, AC :rolleyes:

ScGhost0 Jan 24, 2018 4:00 pm

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...eb3aefe62c.png

Here it gives me options for lower flex fares on YYJ-YVR-YYZ (Prices out to Flex A) but on YVR-YYZ, it does just map to G with no lower option. Interesting that Flex A + $175 co-pay starting in YYJ is cheaper than the up-fare to Flex G starting from YVR. Not by much, but still cheaper.

yosemite1 Jan 27, 2018 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack (Post 29325403)

Also wait, I am pretty sure YYZ LAX R/T is 25K ?

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 29325427)
1. YYZ LAX rt for 50K is already a business redemption, so you're entitle to business even if seated in the Y cabin and you don't need eUps to do that.
2. And yes, you can eUp on an X booking as per https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ade-offer.html and covered ad nauseum in this forum. AFAIK, this promotion ended for requests as of January 8, 2018, but it is possible that AC will extend it again since they have done so over and over for the last 1.5 years.

Also:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...lex-fares.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...de-2018-a.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...assic-x-j.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...-j-ticket.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...t-rewards.html

Hmm I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

When I'm on aeroplan looking to book the redemption... YYZ > LAX round trip is 50k in economy, its 100k in business.
Do ya'll get anything different? or am I just misinterpreting things.