Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Unable to upgrade from Aeroplan Classic (X) to J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Hi guys,

I need your help again.

My itinerary
:
Aeroplan Classic (X) ticket in Y.
YYZ-EWR-MCI.
YYZ-EWR is AC
EWR-MCI is United

What I am trying to do:
Upgrade from Y to J for my YYZ-EWR segment with AC using my eUpgrade points.
As per the website, it should be 4 points + $50.

Issue I am facing:
I login to the eUpgrade website, enter my booking reference code.
Then I select the leg I want to upgrade where it prompts me for my credit card info, name, and email address.
As soon as I select the option to proceed, it gives me the following error on top of the page.

Error:
An error has occurred and we were not able to confirm or waitlist you on this flight. You will need to make your upgrade request at the airport.

What I have tried so far:
Restarted by browser a few times and then tried again.
Tried a different browser.
Google (ended up here)
Called AC (no help there; they told me to try at the airport)

My questions:
My flight is in approximately 18 hours; should I check-in atleast?
If I check-in, would it decrease my chances of the eUpgrade clearing up?
Is there anything I should try?
Would calling Aeroplan help in any way?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Update as of 10:36 AM (EST):
Called AC again; talked to someone who seemed to be very helpful. He mentioned they've been seeing this issue a lot and the only choice I have is to try my luck at the airport. As of now, J is empty (as per AC).
Question still remains: Should I check-in to my Y seat or just wait till I show up at the airport?

Update as of 12:12 PM (EST):
I just did the OLCI and can no longer see the option to eUp on the eUp site. Lets see what happens at the airport tomorrow; I'll update this thread with the result. Thanks to everyone for their help and feedback.

Last edited by hsandhar; Aug 25, 2017 at 10:13 am Reason: Called AC again & did the OLCI
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: yes
Originally Posted by hsandhar
No.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Question still remains: Should I check-in to my Y seat or just wait till I show up at the airport?

Flying in the back with an empty front is superior to not flying at all. They would bump randoms up before they bump even an X off, but strangeness can happen.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RangerNS
Flying in the back with an empty front is superior to not flying at all. They would bump randoms up before they bump even an X off, but strangeness can happen.
I see what you're trying to say. My question is primarily related to some of the discussions I've seen here where some people decided not to do OLCI and waited for their upgrade to clear at the airport. I could be wrong, but that is how I interpreted it.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:36 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Have you tried starting the OLCI process and seeing whether it offers you the ability to eUp during check-in?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Have you tried starting the OLCI process and seeing whether it offers you the ability to eUp during check-in?
Yes I did, it doesn't let me. It only gives me the LMU option.

I just came back from AMS few days ago (AC), and I was able to select the eUp in that case.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Good idea.

But even if it doesn't offer that ... then to answer the OP's question - yes, I would checkin now, I see no real benefit to delaying the checkin at this point.

The only potential benefit would be if you could confirm your upgrade, rather than wait until the flight closes and they process the upgrade list then ... but that's not going to happen just by waiting. Your options are to either get back on the phone with AC, and see if they can clear the upgrade right away ... or checkin now and try to clear the upgrade in the morning. Just delaying the checkin adds no value.

If the J cabin is wide open now, then it seems very likely that your upgrade will clear tomorrow, so I wouldn't be in a panic about it.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canopus27
Good idea.

But even if it doesn't offer that ... then to answer the OP's question - yes, I would checkin now, I see no real benefit to delaying the checkin at this point.

The only potential benefit would be if you could confirm your upgrade, rather than wait until the flight closes and they process the upgrade list then ... but that's not going to happen just by waiting. Your options are to either get back on the phone with AC, and see if they can clear the upgrade right away ... or checkin now and try to clear the upgrade in the morning. Just delaying the checkin adds no value.

If the J cabin is wide open now, then it seems very likely that your upgrade will clear tomorrow, so I wouldn't be in a panic about it.
Thank you. I just checked-in; lets see what happens at the airport tomorrow.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
YYZ-EWR is prone to W&B op-ups since the J cabin seldom gies out full. Since you are flying on a Saturday, this would reduce the J loads even more.

I'm fairly confident that AC will take your $50 at the airport vs. An op-up.
hsandhar likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Hi guys,

I need your help again.

My itinerary
:
Aeroplan Classic (X) ticket in Y.
YYZ-EWR-MCI.
YYZ-EWR is AC
EWR-MCI is United

What I am trying to do:
Upgrade from Y to J for my YYZ-EWR segment with AC using my eUpgrade points.
As per the website, it should be 4 points + $50.

Issue I am facing:
I login to the eUpgrade website, enter my booking reference code.
Then I select the leg I want to upgrade where it prompts me for my credit card info, name, and email address.
As soon as I select the option to proceed, it gives me the following error on top of the page.

Error:
An error has occurred and we were not able to confirm or waitlist you on this flight. You will need to make your upgrade request at the airport.

What I have tried so far:
Restarted by browser a few times and then tried again.
Tried a different browser.
Google (ended up here)
Called AC (no help there; they told me to try at the airport)

My questions:
My flight is in approximately 18 hours; should I check-in atleast?
If I check-in, would it decrease my chances of the eUpgrade clearing up?
Is there anything I should try?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Update as of 10:36 AM (EST):
Called AC again; talked to someone who seemed to be very helpful. He mentioned they've been seeing this issue a lot and the only choice I have is to try my luck at the airport. As of now, J is empty (as per AC).

Update as of 12:12 PM (EST):
I just did the OLCI and can no longer see the option to eUp on the eUp site. Lets see what happens at the airport tomorrow; I'll update this thread with the result. Thanks to everyone for their help and feedback.
What is your status level?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
What is your status level?
P25K with AC this year. Been spending more $$$ with AA and BA this year.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 5:28 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Emerald Exec, HHG

Error:
For future reference, I get this error all the time on the e-up website. I just email the concierge and they fix it right away. I'd suggest calling the P25 line and speaking to someone they should be able to resolve.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Not saying there is or isn't, but how come nobody inquired about upgrade space availability?
Old Aug 26, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Not saying there is or isn't, but how come nobody inquired about upgrade space availability?
When I looked on EF yesterday, the YYZ-EWR flights were all showing positive R space.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
I wonder when we'll find out how this ended

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.