Upgrade on Aeroplan J ticket

Old Jul 5, 17, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Upgrade on Aeroplan J ticket

(I'm sure there are threads on this subject but I can't find one, so mods, please feel free to move.)

My brother is scheduled to fly DFW-YYZ-YOW tomorrow, returning in a week. All segments were booked into J except for the YYZ-YOW flight tomorrow which is in Y. He's on AC474 and the J cabin has 9 out of 9 seats available per Expert Flyer.

I called AE and agent said there is still no award space on the flight and he should check at the desk in DFW or YYZ for an upgrade. I doubt the agent in DFW will have a clue, so I guess that leaves YYZ. His connection is only 1h10m so I'm concerned he won't be there very early to request this.

I also called AC and the agent there insists that if he wants to fly in J, he will be given an opportunity to pay for an upgrade at check-in.

Can someone confirm the correct procedure for him to get his upgrade on YYZ-YOW? I know it's not a long flight, but we did pay 50K miles for the ticket and since the cabin is empty, it would be nice to get J on all segments. TIA
Old Jul 5, 17, 4:46 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Have him make sure, at DFW, that he is on the upgrade list. He does not have to pay. He should, again, once he gets to YYZ, just walk up to the GA and re-confirm. If there is an open seat, he is entitled to it.
Old Jul 5, 17, 5:54 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
To paraphrase the Cow from an earlier post:
At check-in counter, tell them "I am on a business class ticket. This segment is only confirmed in economy. Please add me to the onload list for business class."
Apologies to the if this is a misquote.
Old Jul 5, 17, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA PREMIER GOLD, AC*E25K, Best Western Diamond, Marriott Gold, NEXUS/GE
What if my Aeroplan J reward looks like this....

TNR-->IST (TK in J)
IST-->FRA (LH in J)
FRA-->YUL (AC in PE)

I doubt I can ask a TK or LH agent to put me on the AC upgrade list when I am in TNR or IST. Can I facebook message AC before I get to FRA to waitlist for upgrade, or do I have to ask the AC gate agent to do that once I'm in FRA? Can I get into AC MLL in FRA even though my boarding pass is for PE to YUL?
Old Jul 5, 17, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bohemian1 View Post
At check-in counter, tell them "I am on a business class ticket. This segment is only confirmed in economy. Please add me to the onload list for business class."
Pretty accurate

Originally Posted by number10blade View Post
What if my Aeroplan J reward looks like this....

TNR-->IST (TK in J)
IST-->FRA (LH in J)
FRA-->YUL (AC in PE)

I doubt I can ask a TK or LH agent to put me on the AC upgrade list when I am in TNR or IST. Can I facebook message AC before I get to FRA to waitlist for upgrade, or do I have to ask the AC gate agent to do that once I'm in FRA? Can I get into AC MLL in FRA even though my boarding pass is for PE to YUL?
Only AC can do it, and only at the airport. You'll need to do it in FRA.
Old Jul 5, 17, 8:09 pm

Programs: AC:50K
the onload list
Wait, is this flyertalk, or javascripttalk?
Old Jul 5, 17, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Where on the upgrade list does one belong in a case like this where one is on a business class itinerary for an Aeroplan redemption but is ticketed in premium economy or economy?

Is it still status/fare/time of check in?
Old Jul 5, 17, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin View Post
Where on the upgrade list does one belong in a case like this where one is on a business class itinerary for an Aeroplan redemption but is ticketed in premium economy or economy?

Is it still status/fare/time of check in?
Cabin, status, fare class, check-in time.

Cabin will be wherever you're currently confirmed.
Status is obvious.
Fare class will put you above all eUpgrades.
Check-in time is obvious.
Old Jul 6, 17, 3:37 am

Its not an upgrade. The paraphrasing as above, where one merely requests to be added to the waitlist as one is the holder of a business class fare, is the correct phraseology to use. If you start going down the rabbit hole of referring to it as an "upgrade", the agent might inappropriately try to process it as an 'upgrade' which could have undesirable results.

Of course its perfectly possible that AC sells out the J cabin to revenue passengers or confirmed coupon upgraders/deadheading captains, in which case, its back of the 'bus for you...
Old Jul 6, 17, 2:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG, Alaska, Avios
Did this last Sunday. I thought it would be ready to pickup at the gate as there were notes posted on the ticket in BNE that this was a J fare with Y segment. It wasn't an issue I just had to wait a few minutes while she tapped away. Lots of J availability.
Old Jul 6, 17, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The one benefit of the public upgrade list is that it's now very easy to confirm you've been placed on it.

I had a situation recently where I was not showing up, even after being told I'd been added. A few taps later, and there I was.
Old Jul 6, 17, 3:05 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
I realize this is nothing new, but isn't it atrocious that you have to request this? Pax holding a Business Class fare and seated in Economy should automatically be placed on the standby list for the J cabin.
Old Jul 6, 17, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
And your brother has to be at the gate early to make the upgrade request and have more chances of clearing the upgrade list.
Old Jul 6, 17, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j_the_p View Post
I realize this is nothing new, but isn't it atrocious that you have to request this? Pax holding a Business Class fare and seated in Economy should automatically be placed on the standby list for the J cabin.
They are not holding a business class fare.

Aeroplan tickets do not have "fares".

AC gets paid for each segment, based on which cabin it's ticketed in.

Originally Posted by MasterGeek View Post
And your brother has to be at the gate early to make the upgrade request and have more chances of clearing the upgrade list.
You don't have to do it at the gate. You need to do it at the airport.
And before check-in closes.
Old Jul 6, 17, 3:23 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
They are not holding a business class fare.

Aeroplan tickets do not have "fares".

AC gets paid for each segment, based on which cabin it's ticketed in.
Ok, poor choice of terminology, but from a customer perspective, they 'paid' for a business class seat and only received an economy seat. The onus shouldn't be on the customer to hound AC for placement on the J cabin standby list.

Search this Thread