FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   New eUpgrade Requirements! Co-pay for lower flex fares (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1789272-new-eupgrade-requirements-co-pay-lower-flex-fares.html)

Jasper2009 Oct 10, 2017 8:52 am

Originally Posted by vernonc (Post 28915383)
Quick question. According to the eupg site (preview your itin), YYZ-TPE should be 26 credits from low PY. My eupg shows 8 eupg required for YYZ-YVR and another 26 for YVR-TPE. Is this correct or one of these glitches that I have to call in ?

When you request the upgrade, the page shows 8 and 26 credits respectively, but when you request an upgrade on both segments, the total amount (34) should be crossed out and be replaced by the correct amount (26).

If 26 credits are deducted from your e-upgrade account, then it's time to fill in the "e-upgrade discrepancy form", although I've never had issues with the site calculating the correct amount for "simple" itineraries like this one.

vernonc Oct 10, 2017 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 28915450)
Isn't it the case that when you go to the next step, it shows 34 being replaced by 26?

That's normally how it works. first page shows per leg, next the corrected amount. That's because one can upgrade a single leg and in some cses that's less than the total route. Or not.

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 28915463)
When you request the upgrade, the page shows 8 and 26 credits respectively, but when you request an upgrade on both segments, the total amount (34) should be crossed out and be replaced by the correct amount (26).

If 26 credits are deducted from your e-upgrade account, then it's time to fill in the "e-upgrade discrepancy form", although I've never had issues with the site calculating the correct amount for "simple" itineraries like this one.

Thanks

vernonc Oct 11, 2017 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 28915463)

So...it showed 26+8, then 26 at the final step, however 34 credits deducted. As you said, time to fill out the discrepancy form.
And the discrepancy form cannot be filled out till the flight has been completed.

jc94 Oct 11, 2017 4:17 pm

So according to the AC website, E50k+ can update low flex HQV international fares for 11/13/24 credits based on mileage. Fine.

I'm E35k. Can I ever upgrade this? Like at the airport/OLCI or is it LMU or up-fare only?

Only working option I get on the eUp site is for J upgrades which has the co-pay that I don't want to pay.

canadiancow Oct 11, 2017 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by jc94 (Post 28921633)
So according to the AC website, E50k+ can update low flex HQV international fares for 11/13/24 credits based on mileage. Fine.

I'm E35k. Can I ever upgrade this? Like at the airport/OLCI or is it LMU or up-fare only?

Only working option I get on the eUp site is for J upgrades which has the co-pay that I don't want to pay.

What does it say on https://services.aircanada.com/eupgw...ice/eupgrade/# ?

For YYZ-LHR, there's a copay that increases as your fare class goes down, but you can upgrade any fare.

jc94 Oct 11, 2017 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 28921758)
What does it say on https://services.aircanada.com/eupgw...ice/eupgrade/# ?

For YYZ-LHR, there's a copay that increases as your fare class goes down, but you can upgrade any fare.

Two things, each flight is there twice as "Market information is unavailable." and "The purchased fare class for this flight does not allow for upgrades."

I'll be honest, it's a bereavement fare, so that may be it. But as it booked into H instead of W (Tango) I thought I might be able to make it less miserable. And it allows J with a copay.

canadiancow Oct 11, 2017 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by jc94 (Post 28921795)
Two things, each flight is there twice as "Market information is unavailable." and "The purchased fare class for this flight does not allow for upgrades."

I'll be honest, it's a bereavement fare, so that may be it. But as it booked into H instead of W (Tango) I thought I might be able to make it less miserable. And it allows J with a copay.

Oh sorry, I meant on the "Preview eUpgrade requirements" section.

But a bereavement fare could easily be coded to not allow any benefits at all.

H is not necessarily Tango or Flex. It could be neither. You just can't buy one on AC.com.

jc94 Oct 11, 2017 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 28921913)

H is not necessarily Tango or Flex. It could be neither. You just can't buy one on AC.com.

The eUp charts list E50 plus.

I dunno, it comes up as Flex H in the PDF, and I was allowed to pick seats, but yeah it wouldn't surprise me if it had limits imposed. It would surprise me that AC IT was capable.

I mean at least it was $140 less than buying online at short notice.

jc94 Oct 11, 2017 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 28921913)

Ah right sorry. That preview page lists credits for YBUM only. Rest don't show so guess I'm SOL without paying up to MU as a lowly E35.

Oh well. At least it's not HD or Rouge.

capebretonboy Oct 12, 2017 3:11 pm

On AC157 tonight, AP rewards ticket. There is plenty of R space; requested upgrade at T-24 and wait-listed. Why??

jc94 Oct 12, 2017 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by capebretonboy (Post 28925602)
On AC157 tonight, AP rewards ticket. There is plenty of R space; requested upgrade at T-24 and wait-listed. Why??

Assume you mean the first leg into YYZ? Seem to be 6 unbooked seats, does seem odd unless they are planning to change aircraft.

I don't see you having any issues getting it that said!

capebretonboy Oct 12, 2017 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by jc94 (Post 28925619)
Assume you mean the first leg into YYZ? Seem to be 6 unbooked seats, does seem odd unless they are planning to change aircraft.

I don't see you having any issues getting it that said!

No, actually last leg out of YYZ to YYC (maybe that has something to do with it...it is coming from YYT? But, yeah, it seems odd....I am still puzzled why the wait list. Thanks for the response.

Jasper2009 Oct 12, 2017 3:24 pm

If there's R space and the useless IT system hasn't automatically cleared you off the waitlist, just unrequest the upgrade and request it again and you should be cleared instantly. (Or call an agent to deal with it)

canadiancow Oct 12, 2017 3:36 pm

Did you request it through OLCI, or services.aircanada.com/eupgweb/selfservice/eupgrade/ ?

Only the latter will clear you into R space at time of request.

capebretonboy Oct 12, 2017 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 28925708)
Did you request it through OLCI, or services.aircanada.com/eupgweb/selfservice/eupgrade/ ?

Only the latter will clear you into R space at time of request.

That was my mistake. I did it through OLCI because at the time I was also in the process of checking in so the self service would not let me do it. I just continued via OLCI. I called an agent and they could not figure it out. I talked to two agents last night. No help.

I can't seem to reverse this and have it clear.

capebretonboy Oct 12, 2017 3:59 pm

Can I cancel my check in, go to self serve, upgrade, and then check back in???

Even after canceling check in, I seem to be stuck in some sort of IT limbo:

http://imgur.com/a/hBuja

Jebby_ca Oct 12, 2017 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by capebretonboy (Post 28925812)
Can I cancel my check in, go to self serve, upgrade, and then check back in???

Even after canceling check in, I seem to be stuck in some sort of IT limbo:

http://imgur.com/a/hBuja

Cancel check-in, request on eupgrade site, and check-in again.

monkai Oct 12, 2017 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca (Post 28925913)
Cancel check-in, request on eupgrade site, and check-in again.

I agree - I did this yesterday and cleared a business class upgrade on AC34 YVR-YYZ that I probably would not have cleared at the gate.

jc94 Oct 12, 2017 5:16 pm

I looked at 157 earlier, the YYZ YYC upgrade list was empty ... no-one was waitlisted.

Now shows two people, one passed one waitlisted. I won't post names here in case you don't want that ... though obviously it's viewable for a few hours. And one reminds me of Mr Cow :D

YEG_SE4Life Oct 12, 2017 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by jc94 (Post 28926022)
I looked at 157 earlier, the YYZ YYC upgrade list was empty ... no-one was waitlisted.

Now shows two people, one passed one waitlisted. I won't post names here in case you don't want that ... though obviously it's viewable for a few hours. And one reminds me of Mr Cow :D

Too funny.

SparseFlyer Oct 12, 2017 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by capebretonboy (Post 28925793)
That was my mistake. I did it through OLCI because at the time I was also in the process of checking in so the self service would not let me do it. I just continued via OLCI. I called an agent and they could not figure it out. I talked to two agents last night. No help.

I can't seem to reverse this and have it clear.

I thought aeroplan eUps was at the airport or OLCI only?

bawm Oct 13, 2017 3:42 am

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer (Post 28926066)
I thought aeroplan eUps was at the airport or OLCI only?

Originally Posted by aircanada.com eUpgrades site
Upgrade request
Aeroplan Classic (X)
Within 1 day

hallwax0r Oct 13, 2017 9:33 am

Can I confirm an upgrade into Premium Economy and then get on the waitlist for Biz class? I don't want to miss the prem econ upgrade if biz class doesnt clear. Any thoughts?

Jasper2009 Oct 13, 2017 9:54 am

Originally Posted by hallwax0r (Post 28928295)
Can I confirm an upgrade into Premium Economy and then get on the waitlist for Biz class? I don't want to miss the prem econ upgrade if biz class doesnt clear. Any thoughts?

I've always been told it's "either or" which is huge PITA.

seegs Oct 16, 2017 6:46 am

Quick question on eupgrades to Hawaii:

1) Is Hawaii considered US or a "Sun Destination"
2) If I'm routing HNL-YVR-YYZ, would the 10 upgrade credits cover the entire journey or would I need to apply both flights separately?

Thanks!

vernonc Oct 16, 2017 7:17 am

Originally Posted by seegs (Post 28937846)
Quick question on eupgrades to Hawaii:

1) Is Hawaii considered US or a "Sun Destination"
2) If I'm routing HNL-YVR-YYZ, would the 10 upgrade credits cover the entire journey or would I need to apply both flights separately?

Thanks!

10 credits. 4 if from high flex.
Its on the eupg page, click on preview my itin, enter from and too, and bingo.

seegs Oct 16, 2017 8:36 am

Originally Posted by vernonc (Post 28937925)
10 credits. 4 if from high flex.
Its on the eupg page, click on preview my itin, enter from and too, and bingo.

Thanks! Haven't booked yet, trying to decide if I should buy cheap Tango or spend some extra on Flex to go after upgrade. Going midweek so loads should (hopefully) be lighter.

vernonc Oct 16, 2017 8:43 am

Originally Posted by seegs (Post 28938196)
Thanks! Haven't booked yet, trying to decide if I should buy cheap Tango or spend some extra on Flex to go after upgrade. Going midweek so loads should (hopefully) be lighter.

Depends when you are going and if there is some corp award event and the plane fills up. Most of AC all the way to Hawaii involves Rouge either from YYZ or YYC so not sure how useful the upgrade is specially on the return red eye where I would prefer to be on a lie flat.
UA fares for next spring do not seem to show much of a saving yet but you might want to save those credits and try and get what I am trying to do - which is AC Tango on the outbound and UA P fare in lie-flat on the return red eye. Price may work out to the same or a little more than Flex+eupg all the way on AC. This was possible LY but dont see those UA fares for 2018 yet.

Jebby_ca Oct 25, 2017 12:10 pm

Just received a new email...

the new STLAK Flex fares now have an eUpgrade surcharge, starting at $50, for flights within Canada. Yay Branded Fares!

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ade-offer.html

Jumper Jack Oct 25, 2017 12:11 pm

Air Canada announced co-pay for lower Flex fares

More Economy Flex fare options now available for eUpgrades
As an Air Canada Altitude member, get the most out of your travel experience with an Economy Flex fare with features such as complimentary advance seat selection, access to the Business Class cabin with eUpgrades and 100% Altitude Qualifying Mile accumulation to help bring you closer to the next status.

More Economy Flex fares within Canada
New lower Economy Flex fares in additional booking classes are now available for flights within Canada.

For upgrades to Business Class, these new lower Flex fares (booking classes S, T, L, A, K) will require the same number of eUpgrade Credits, with an additional eUpgrade Add-on.

Economy Flex fares in booking classes M, U, H, Q, V, W, G continue to require the same number of eUpgrade Credits with no additional eUpgrade Add-on.

Consult the chart below for the booking windows, eUpgrade Credits, and Add-ons applicable for travel within Canada.

Lol what a scam
https://i.imgur.com/MsnpSDx.png

yvr76 Oct 25, 2017 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca (Post 28975869)

the new STLAK Flex fares now have an eUpgrade surcharge, starting at $50, for flights within Canada. Yay Branded Fares!

And S100K not exempt from this. They weren't exempt from the Tango add-ons either, but that's an ongoing promo, and this is a permanent change.

monkai Oct 25, 2017 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca (Post 28975869)

Just got this too.

So, this really diminishes the benefit to select a Flex fare. Whats the difference between Tango and Flex other than AQM percentage?

Jebby_ca Oct 25, 2017 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by yvr76 (Post 28975879)
And S100K not exempt from this. They weren't exempt from the Tango add-ons either, but that's an ongoing promo, and this is a permanent change.

And here I was, gunning for SE100K to avoid these upgrade surcharges on INTL itineraries...

jc94 Oct 25, 2017 12:15 pm

I just saw a mention to this. What a joke.

For the lowly ones (like me) still paying half for preferred seats it's not too bad as we get that back... but it's not a good sign at all.

Continuing the race to the bottom. eUps were hard enough before this.

ridefar Oct 25, 2017 12:16 pm

Yeah, some "glitch" last week. The enhancements continue.

Jumper Jack Oct 25, 2017 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by ridefar (Post 28975901)
Yeah, some "glitch" last week. The enhancements continue.

I remember saying it maybe just incompetent IT jumping the gun lol

ridefar Oct 25, 2017 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack (Post 28975904)

And you were right. :)

jc94 Oct 25, 2017 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack (Post 28975904)

Ah yes, I recall that too.

Back to UA J for my US flights post status anyway.

alc Oct 25, 2017 12:27 pm

I am sorry, I am definitely having a senior moment today, as I am not getting the comments I am reading on this news. Isn't there is no change at all? In fact a true enhancement where they are bring Tango eUpgrade-able as a permanent option now. Booking classes "S, T, L, A, K" are Tango, isn't it?

All it seems AC is doing is free up or eliminate "Tango" and combine it in Flex. Isn't that is a comment many had made in the past on why keeping this name?

Whether they will recycle Tango to make it the UA Basic Economy fare, or come up with a new name, that I am not sure.

Jebby_ca Oct 25, 2017 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by alc (Post 28975955)
I am sorry, I am definitely having a senior moment today, as I am not getting the comments I am reading on this news. Isn't there is no change at all? In fact a true enhancement where they are bring Tango eUpgrade-able as a permanent option now. Booking classes "S, T, L, A, K" are Tango, isn't it?

All it seems AC is doing is free up or eliminate "Tango" and combine it in Flex. Isn't that is a comment many had made in the past on why keeping this name?

Whether they will recycle Tango to make it the UA Basic Economy fare, or come up with a new name, that I am not sure.

I don't know if you are being facetious or not... but just in case you aren't...

Air Canada has introduced Fare Families - Tango and FLEX share quite a few fare codes on domestic and transborder routes, and is only differentiated by the fare basis code. See this lengthy thread and wiki:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...ango-flex.html