FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   New eUpgrade Requirements! Co-pay for lower flex fares (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1789272-new-eupgrade-requirements-co-pay-lower-flex-fares.html)

canadiancow Oct 1, 2016 10:33 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 27287245)
We've reported on this issue as far back as 2014, and nothing has changed.

Frankly the majority of call centre agents are useless. They take zero time in understanding the system they use... Get to know its behaviour or be at all analytical about it. They simply shoot from the hip and treat the rest of us like we are always wrong when in fact they are usually wrong.

I suspect they don't know the ins and outs of the system like we do for two reasons.

1. They aren't paid enough to care
2. The vast majority of people would call in, say "I want to use my upgrades", and the agent would say "Okay done, you're on the waitlist", and the call would end with everyone happy

Then you have the people who call in and actually don't know how things work. Even recently on FT, someone said he strong-armed a concierge into helping him in LGA because he was entitled to it as a business class LGA-YYZ passenger. Malicious? I don't think so. But too many people simply think they know the rules, when they actually don't.

But then this is where a simple customer profile would be useful. Pop up a big alert on the screen when you call in, saying "this customer knows how the system works better than most agents, and we have no record of them trying to manipulate an agent into breaking rules". Now when you say "the policy is not to charge a change fee for an upfare" or "Latitude upgrades require Z on North American itineraries", rather than the typical "I work at the airport, you're wrong", they can go read whatever policy confirms it, and help you.

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 27287245)
(And the call centres aren't even inside the airport)

One of them is, but I find they're actually quite good as of late, albeit almost TOO respectful. Nervous concierges doing whatever I tell them (within the rules, but without the check-in agent talk-back of "your ticket probably doesn't allow standby") and thanking me for my loyalty eighteen times per call.

Wpgjetse Oct 1, 2016 10:43 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 27288618)
I suspect they don't know the ins and outs of the system like we do for two reasons.

1. They aren't paid enough to care

p

At one time airline employee were paid well. Today's wages are based on pax demanding low prices and switching airlines for $10. Just look at a few FT members, talking about how cheap they can get tickets to Asian, then complaining about the seats/lounge food ,etc. Once Westjet got a strong foot hold into the Canadian mkt, they themselves started pressure for AC to cut costs. You can't make it in any industry if you are paying 2 to 3x more labour costs.

24left Oct 1, 2016 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse (Post 27288661)
At one time airline employee were paid well. Today's wages are based on pax demanding low prices and switching airlines for $10. Just look at a few FT members, talking about how cheap they can get tickets to Asian, then complaining about the seats/lounge food ,etc. Once Westjet got a strong foot hold into the Canadian mkt, they themselves started pressure for AC to cut costs. You can't make it in any industry if you are paying 2 to 3x more labour costs.

You missed a tiny detail though and you're using average pax as an example of who will switch for a savings of $10

SEs, MMs and many J pax know exactly how things work. Further, AC promised this group improved services, be it onboard or with concierges or even at call centres.

I find that there is a huge discrepancy between the senior/long-time concierges and the newbies. While I think it's great that AC hired a bunch, all the "training" in the world on how to do the job will never replace the common sense and nuance that comes with age and experience.

I also find a huge decrease in the quality of the MLLs with AC playing around with adding food, taking it away, adding it again, then replacing it with cheap-sodium filled condiments.

So, perhaps along with eUp requirements and knowledge of the agents, AC needs to decide if some of their promised improvements (as a result of reducing the #s of SEs etc) will actually appear.

I'll move this conversation to a different thread when someone decides to look at the big picture of what the improved services and benefits will be and experienced by those who pass the SE $20K AQD test come Dec 31.

ScGhost0 Jan 9, 2017 6:04 pm

1 Attachment(s)
So it looks like Air Canada has extended the abilities of Tango and Aeroplan Reward tickets to use eupgrades until April 3rd 2017 according to the eupgrade chart on their website. They haven't sent any messages through Altitude/Email yet to confirm but just noticed it when I was browsing their site.

ridefar Jan 9, 2017 7:27 pm

Indeed. And confirmed (!?!) that the old/new lower eUp credit requirements will remain for the while. Which is actually a significant and genuine improvement (and can't even use enhancement in the literal sense here). Just like I think they are idiots for devaluing IKK, I can't for the life of me think of why they won't take credit for making eUps better. They actually waste opportunities to have a positive impact on their customers.

YVRorange Jan 9, 2017 11:57 pm

They wanted 21 eupgrade credits and $600 on my YYZ-YVR redemption flight on 12/24.

$600!!! Are you kidding me??

yyznomad Jan 10, 2017 12:18 am

Originally Posted by YVRorange (Post 27735318)
They wanted 21 eupgrade credits and $600 on my YYZ-YVR redemption flight on 12/24.

It's all jokes.
Just stick with LMUing on AP flights... Usually pretty good value when offered.

tomvancouver Jan 10, 2017 8:10 am

Originally Posted by 24left (Post 27288923)
AC needs to decide if some of their promised improvements (as a result of reducing the #s of SEs etc) will actually appear..

What promised improvements?
I don't recall any, save an expectation from FT that things couldn't get worse. Oh, and don't read the R Space oddity thread.

canadiancow Jan 10, 2017 11:18 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by YVRorange (Post 27735318)

Huh? I see 10 credits and $300.

fin 645 Jan 10, 2017 11:21 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 27735382)
It's all jokes.
Just stick with LMUing on AP flights... Usually pretty good value when offered.

On AP rewards or Tango fares,I have yet to try to figure out if there is any reliable way to approach eupgrade/added cost upgrades vs bidding vs LMUs. Using eupgrades with a known add-on is available first, then the bid, and finally LMU. There is little posted data on the bidding process but some of the data seems all over the map, particularly domestic looking high compared to Int'l. LMU's had always looked too high to me, but with an upcoming bargain basement Tango long haul, I have suddenly begun to take notice of the upgrade possibilities.

alc Jan 13, 2017 6:40 am

I just find out this extended date to April 3, 2017 this morning when I found out I can eUpgrade a G Flex more than 7 days out as a SE.

While I am one of those that do like the Tango upgrade-able policy, but I am not sure I really like the Add-On I do rather they go with more credits and at check-in / T-24 only. For Aeroplan bookings, I think that is fair to do Add-On, but not at the amount that they are looking for as some are almost the same as the LMU rate.

yyznomad Apr 2, 2017 7:01 am

Gee golly whiz.

Will there be another extension from April 3, 2017? Maybe May? Hmm?

Gee whizzy. Makes me dizzy.

hydrogen Apr 2, 2017 11:42 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 28118660)
Gee golly whiz.

Will there be another extension from April 3, 2017? Maybe May? Hmm?

Gee whizzy. Makes me dizzy.

Lol it's been extended to May 14, 2017 now!

Sean Peever Apr 2, 2017 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by hydrogen (Post 28119528)

I love how they made new eup rules and then eliminated them with promos for 2 years.

What's going to happen the day they finally stop?

Jumper Jack Apr 2, 2017 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by hydrogen (Post 28119528)

LMAO

quantumofforce Apr 2, 2017 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack (Post 28121007)
LMAO

great! I can maybe eUp my flight back from Florida, only $150 to eUp a K fare, but I paid just over 150 so a little over for business isn't a bad deal!

Lights_a_blur Apr 3, 2017 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Sean Peever (Post 28121004)
I love how they made new eup rules and then eliminated them with promos for 2 years.

What's going to happen the day they finally stop?

I suspect the speculation in the other thread about domestic PE is correct - They will revert to the 'new' eup rules when domestic PE is ready for sale.

YHZ_Flyer Apr 3, 2017 8:01 am

Remember the only thing thats changing when the promotion ends is the ability to eup tango and AE rewards. The reduced credits, and expanded upgrade window were permanent enhancements to the program. It was just a little confusing as they were announced at the same time.

YYT82 Apr 3, 2017 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Lights_a_blur (Post 28122626)
I suspect the speculation in the other thread about domestic PE is correct - They will revert to the 'new' eup rules when domestic PE is ready for sale.

Probably went down like this:

(Late October 2014)
AC Management: We need to get rid of the cheapeners that are taking up potential revenue seats
AC Altitude Team: We can devalue eUpgrades to reduce cheapeners
AC Management: Good, do it! Throw them a bone on upgrades to PE where we only give them one decent meal.
AC Altitude Team: Done. Upgrades to J cabin now costs 50% more credits, and upgrades to PE is half of that.

(December 2014)
AC Marketing: We haven't sold many domestic PE seats.
AC Management: And we're paying compensation for cabin downgrades.
AC Operations: There just aren't many aircrafts fitted with PE seats that operate domestically. When we swap a wide body with PE seats for an aircraft without PE seats, downgrades are inevitable.
AC Management: We thought we would be able to sell domestic PE, that's why we told Altitude to devalue domestic eUpgrade program so significantly. Now you want us to admit that we f---ed up? No f---ing way.
AC Altitude: We can save your face by running an indefinite promotion, until all wide bodies are fitted with PE seats.
AC Management: Good, do it! Don't f--- up again.

(September 2015)
AC Management: PE retrofit isn't done yet.
AC Altitude: Got it, we extend the promotion.

(September 2016)
AC Altitude: We extend the promotion again, and throw in co-pay for Tango and Aeroplan tickets.

(April 2017)
AC Management: We are ready to sell domestic PE again.
AC Altitude: When?
AC Management: Summer 2017
AC Altitude: Promo ends May 14 so that the FFs get used to the new requirement.

Disclaimer: No idea if the above is true. It was just for fun. :D

lcohen999 Apr 3, 2017 8:18 am

I wish some of these promotions would include crossing an ocean

sigh...

canadiancow Apr 3, 2017 11:52 am

Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer (Post 28122677)
Remember the only thing thats changing when the promotion ends is the ability to eup tango and AE rewards. The reduced credits, and expanded upgrade window were permanent enhancements to the program. It was just a little confusing as they were announced at the same time.

I think a lot of people are missing this very important point.

ridefar Apr 3, 2017 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 28123764)
I think a lot of people are missing this very important point.

Yeah. And apparently it needs saying explicitly because every time it is pointed out that the reduced requirements/increased window no longer has a time limit half a dozen people keep the thread going as if it too changes on May 14th.

I also think too much is being made of domestic PY. Unless they are reconfiguring aircraft, it will be a very small % of routes that will offer this (same % as international J on domestic routes?). It may become more prevalent in the future but for now it is just not that big a deal.

yyznomad Apr 3, 2017 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by lcohen999 (Post 28122757)
I wish some of these promotions would include crossing an ocean

sigh...

+1 (meeeeelion)

Adam Smith Apr 3, 2017 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by ridefar (Post 28123917)
I also think too much is being made of domestic PY. Unless they are reconfiguring aircraft, it will be a very small % of routes that will offer this (same % as international J on domestic routes?). It may become more prevalent in the future but for now it is just not that big a deal.

Slightly less since the 763s aren't getting PY but have international J.

Sean Peever Apr 3, 2017 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by YYT82 (Post 28122733)

(Late October 2014)
AC Management: We need to get rid of the cheapeners that are taking up potential revenue seats
AC Management: Good, do it! Throw them a bone on upgrades to PE where we only give them one decent meal.
AC Altitude Team: Done. Upgrades to J cabin now costs 50% more credits, and upgrades to PE is half of that.

(December 2014)
AC Operations: There just aren't many aircrafts fitted with PE seats that operate domestically. When we swap a wide body with PE seats for an aircraft without PE seats, downgrades are inevitable.
AC Management: We thought we would be able to sell domestic PE, that's why we told Altitude to devalue domestic eUpgrade program so significantly. Now you want us to admit that we f---ed up? No f---ing way.
AC Altitude: We can save your face by running an indefinite promotion, until all wide bodies are fitted with PE seats.

(September 2015)

(September 2016)
AC Altitude: We extend the promotion again, and throw in co-pay for Tango and Aeroplan tickets.

(April 2017)

Do you work at AC?

KenHamer Apr 3, 2017 8:26 pm

(Late October 2014)

(December 2014)

(September 2015)

(September 2016)

(April 2017)

The werd(c) you are looking for is 'plausible'.

moorw003 Apr 11, 2017 8:05 am

I have a question regarding this. I recently purchased an aeroplan reward ticket with my mums miles, and went to my eupgrade account to see if it could be upgrade-able in future. I'm not actually interested, but was curious as it's new to me the potential capability (Also, on the flight I'll be on there's almost 0 chance anyway). It says it can't be done because I'd need to nominate the traveler (me) to be an upgrade nominee.

I then went to my mums upgrade account, and found it could be up-gradable. That seems odd, but also suggests for the first time that aeroplan numbers are now added to reward tickets. Given this apparent change, is there a way of changing the aeroplan number associated with the booking. Also, hypothetically, were an reward ticket upgraded with the bookers account, is that even OK given we're supposed to use our own credits for our own travel. Or is this just another AC technical fail again?

Bartolo Apr 11, 2017 9:54 am

(Late October 2014)

(December 2014)

(September 2015)

(September 2016)

(April 2017)

Good thing you added the disclaimer. For a min I thought you were serious about a "decent meal" being offered. :D

canadiancow Apr 11, 2017 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by moorw003 (Post 28161196)
I have a question regarding this. I recently purchased an aeroplan reward ticket with my mums miles, and went to my eupgrade account to see if it could be upgrade-able in future. I'm not actually interested, but was curious as it's new to me the potential capability (Also, on the flight I'll be on there's almost 0 chance anyway). It says it can't be done because I'd need to nominate the traveler (me) to be an upgrade nominee.

I then went to my mums upgrade account, and found it could be up-gradable. That seems odd, but also suggests for the first time that aeroplan numbers are now added to reward tickets. Given this apparent change, is there a way of changing the aeroplan number associated with the booking. Also, hypothetically, were an reward ticket upgraded with the bookers account, is that even OK given we're supposed to use our own credits for our own travel. Or is this just another AC technical fail again?

This is an unintended side effect.

When you book an Aeroplan ticket, the number for the account the miles came out of is added to the FQTR field.

There are all kinds of interesting and stupid issues with this, not the least of which is your inability to upgrade yourself.

yyz_atc_qq Apr 11, 2017 1:30 pm

I wonder why I could eUpgrade from X to J internationally as a SE, but I can't eUpgrade from X to PE. odd..... or maybe I can but the table in the preview is wrong....

moorw003 Apr 11, 2017 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 28163151)
This is an unintended side effect.

When you book an Aeroplan ticket, the number for the account the miles came out of is added to the FQTR field.

There are all kinds of interesting and stupid issues with this, not the least of which is your inability to upgrade yourself.

Hypothetically though, lets say at T24 availability for upgrade existed between YYT and YVR and I logged on to mums account and upgraded it. Systematically that's allowed as she's E50 (I'm P25) and the itinerary is showing as up-gradable but would that have any effects (again I have no intention of trying). And is there a way of getting the FQTR field changed (by an agent for example) in some way?

canadiancow Apr 11, 2017 3:22 pm

Yes, you can get the FQTR field removed and replaced with your number in the FQTV field, but it requires an agent who is knowledgable enough to do it, and willing to.

yyznomad Apr 11, 2017 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 28163977)
Yes, you can get the FQTR field removed and replaced with your number in the FQTV field, but it requires an agent who is knowledgable enough to do it, and willing to.

You're implying that such an agent exists?

YHZ_Flyer Apr 11, 2017 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 28164561)

I've only ever encountered one agent willing to do it and that was in YHZ. I was turned away in YYZ and YVR a few times.

canadiancow Apr 11, 2017 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 28164561)

Yes.

yyznomad Apr 11, 2017 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer (Post 28164620)
I've only ever encountered one agent willing to do it and that was in YHZ. I was turned away in YYZ and YVR a few times.

So 1/3 success rate. Not bad I guess.

Did you say the same thing each time? what did you say?

canadiancow Apr 11, 2017 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 28165656)

"I'm being denied status benefits because my Aeroplan number is not on this PNR. I was told to ask for you to delete the FQTR field, then add my number into the FQTV field."

jc94 Apr 12, 2017 8:23 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 28165656)

Well one success vs a few fails in other locations leads me to guess it's more like 1/6 ...

moorw003 May 1, 2017 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 28163977)

I just rang Air Canada, was on hold for 80 minutes. Got an agent who said it wasn't possible. I quoted this exact message from you, and 30 seconds later, BINGO.

She then thanked me for teaching her how to do it. :p

jc94 May 1, 2017 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by moorw003 (Post 28254306)
I just rang Air Canada, was on hold for 80 minutes. Got an agent who said it wasn't possible. I quoted this exact message from you, and 30 seconds later, BINGO.

She then thanked me for teaching her how to do it. :p

Good to know FT continues our quest to up-train AC call center staff. Reinforces my suggestion to have the staff browse it. But then, they might stop them doing things they're not supposed too as well :)