Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New eUpgrade Requirements! Co-pay for lower flex fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
Current eUpgrade Promotion for eUpgrade Requests Made Until June 30, 2020

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/book/special-offers/eupgrade-offer.html

Upgrades to Business Class

US

Europe/Middle East/South America

Asia/Australia
Upgrades to Premium Economy

US (This is the only promotion for Premium Economy at this time)

Print Wikipost

New eUpgrade Requirements! Co-pay for lower flex fares

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2018, 4:30 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Find it interesting that Standard / Aeroplan are officially ineligible for e-up yet they've had promos for 2+ years running.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:56 pm

First time using my eupgrades here. Is standard fare still allowed for eupgrade ? I am looking at YVR -> PEK in standard (K)

Looks like possible from this chart , can someone confirm ?

But my eupgrade account shows my flight is not eligible ....

Many thanks
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by salvatorexiang
First time using my eupgrades here. Is standard fare still allowed for eupgrade ? I am looking at YVR -> PEK in standard (K)

Looks like possible from this chart , can someone confirm ?

But my eupgrade account shows my flight is not eligible ....

Many thanks
Is your flight within 5 days of departure? You (in)conveniently redacted the date.
salvatorexiang likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by capedreamer
Is your flight within 5 days of departure? You (in)conveniently redacted the date.
Clearly not, given the message "upgrades can only requested ..." Flight not eligible *AT THIS TIME.*
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Stranger
Clearly not, given the message "upgrades can only requested ..." Flight not eligible *AT THIS TIME.*
Yeah they haven't changed that wording since the eUp site went live in 2011. It confuses me from time to time but I quickly remember that it just means "not at this time".
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by capedreamer
Hi capedreamer,

Thanks for the reply, the flight is in later this year, so not within 5 days.

So I guess my fare indeed allows me to use eupgrade, but only within 5 days of departure, is it right ? The message "not eligible for upgrade" confuses me ...
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Hi capedreamer,

So I guess my fare indeed allows me to use eupgrade, but only within 5 days of departure, is it right ? The message "not eligible for upgrade" confuses me ...
Yes, Standard K, according to that chart allows you to use your eUpgrades in addition to paying the copay.
And yes, you have the opportunity to request an upgrade no earlier than five days to departure.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Hi capedreamer,

It may or may not become (wil become, in this case) eligible. The eligibility window is a function of status.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:51 am

So for my PEK - YVR flight, currently it has availability J4 C4 D0 Z0 P0 R0 O9, so no R class availability. Based on my understanding from AC website: "For eligible customers travelling on flights to North American, Caribbean, and International destinations holding a ticketed reservation in any other eligible fare (e.g. Flex, Premium Economy Lowest), upgrades are based on the availability of “R” booking class at time of request.".

Does it mean at the time I request the eupgrade ( 5 days prior to the departure based on my status) , the upgrade cannot be confirmed until within 24 hours of the departure ? In that case, will I have a higher priority then those people who request bid / last minute upgrade ?

AC mentioned

If you do not receive an upgrade email confirming your upgrade before you check-in, your request will be automatically transferred to the airport standby list. Upgrades on the airport standby list will be processed by taking into account the following:
  • Altitude status level
  • Booking class
  • Time of check-in
My status is 50K with booking class tango (K), and assume I will do online check-in as soon as it opens. Wondering what is my chance to get an upgrade ...

Thanks
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So for my PEK - YVR flight, currently it has availability J4 C4 D0 Z0 P0 R0 O9, so no R class availability. Based on my understanding from AC website: "For eligible customers travelling on flights to North American, Caribbean, and International destinations holding a ticketed reservation in any other eligible fare (e.g. Flex, Premium Economy Lowest), upgrades are based on the availability of “R” booking class at time of request.".

Does it mean at the time I request the eupgrade ( 5 days prior to the departure based on my status) , the upgrade cannot be confirmed until within 24 hours of the departure ? In that case, will I have a higher priority then those people who request bid / last minute upgrade ?

AC mentioned

If you do not receive an upgrade email confirming your upgrade before you check-in, your request will be automatically transferred to the airport standby list. Upgrades on the airport standby list will be processed by taking into account the following:
  • Altitude status level
  • Booking class
  • Time of check-in
My status is 50K with booking class tango (K), and assume I will do online check-in as soon as it opens. Wondering what is my chance to get an upgrade ...

Thanks
Yes the charts are still correct according to what your eUpgrade account is showing based on your screenshots and your E50K status.
You will be waitlisted for an upgrade if it's still R0 when you request it.
It can magically clear anytime prior to the flight or open up with R space, otherwise you'll have to wait roughly until boarding time (I say roughly because I forgot the exact moment it happens - I guess transfer to DCS around one hour prior to flight?)
Order is Cabin, Status, Booking Class, Time of Check-in meaning someone with lower status than you in PY will be ahead of you on the upgrade waitlist if they are attempting to use eUps to upgrade.
Plumber and salvatorexiang like this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 4:01 pm

Very well explained, thank you
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: AC75 MM
What's the booking code for availability in PY?
I know R space is used for upgrades to the J cabin, and according to EF, N space is used for Y to PY upgrades. But in my experience, even when PY is widely available, and certainly when N>0, none of my requests have gone through in advance of the 24 hr window (nor have I been very successful at the gate, given my fall to E50)
Asking another way - what booking code can I search for to see if I can eup to PY within my upgrade window?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Yes the charts are still correct according to what your eUpgrade account is showing based on your screenshots and your E50K status.
You will be waitlisted for an upgrade if it's still R0 when you request it.

It can magically clear anytime prior to the flight or open up with R space, otherwise you'll have to wait roughly until boarding time (I say roughly because I forgot the exact moment it happens - I guess transfer to DCS around one hour prior to flight?)

Order is Cabin, Status, Booking Class, Time of Check-in meaning someone with lower status than you in PY will be ahead of you on the upgrade waitlist if they are attempting to use eUps to upgrade.
You'd think that if R class opened while there was a waitlist, then the first person (or people, if more than one space opens up) would automatically get upgraded.

I mean, that's what makes sense, right?

Well, it does make sense.... but you'd think wrong because that's not what AC does. They will (on occasion) open up R space, but those currently on the waitlist will stay there, and anyone submitting a new upgrade request will be immediately confirmed.

Thus, if you're on the upgrade waitlist you should also go to expertflyer and set an alert on R class availability. I think (not certain) you can even do this without a paid subscription to EF.

If R class availability does open up, then go to the AC website, cancel your upgrade request, and then resubmit it. If you've done all of this fast enough, and there's still R class availability, then your (new) request will clear immediately and you'll jump everyone else who's waiting on the list.
Bohemian1 and salvatorexiang like this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tomvancouver
What's the booking code for availability in PY?
I know R space is used for upgrades to the J cabin, and according to EF, N space is used for Y to PY upgrades. But in my experience, even when PY is widely available, and certainly when N>0, none of my requests have gone through in advance of the 24 hr window (nor have I been very successful at the gate, given my fall to E50)
Asking another way - what booking code can I search for to see if I can eup to PY within my upgrade window?
It is N as you noted.

Exactly which flight are you looking at and are there married segments?

You might have to call in to get it done manually. IIRC there have been glitches in the past regarding N upgrades.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canopus27
You'd think that if R class opened while there was a waitlist, then the first person (or people, if more than one space opens up) would automatically get upgraded.

I mean, that's what makes sense, right?

Well, it does make sense.... but you'd think wrong because that's not what AC does. They will (on occasion) open up R space, but those currently on the waitlist will stay there, and anyone submitting a new upgrade request will be immediately confirmed.

Thus, if you're on the upgrade waitlist you should also go to expertflyer and set an alert on R class availability. I think (not certain) you can even do this without a paid subscription to EF.

If R class availability does open up, then go to the AC website, cancel your upgrade request, and then resubmit it. If you've done all of this fast enough, and there's still R class availability, then your (new) request will clear immediately and you'll jump everyone else who's waiting on the list.
Yes, all this is true too, but I was trying to make my answer simple and without going into all the one off details just yet.

canopus27 and salvatorexiang like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.