Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Switching from AC to UA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by rankourabu
But at least AC has transparent upgrade lists posted at every gate and online so you know ahead whether to prepare for upgrades clearing or not..

Oh wait.....
Most premium flyers do not care about this feature, since they buy J/P, Y/B + eUp weeks in advance, and/or just comp up T-24 from their Lat pass.

I am also totally fine with not having my name and seat on a screen.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 1:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rankourabu
But at least AC has transparent upgrade lists posted at every gate and online so you know ahead whether to prepare for upgrades clearing or not..

Oh wait.....
Yeah, on AC, I just end up booking flights at T-5 with R space.

I had a wonderful little SFO-YVR-YYZ-SFO trip this past weekend, booked 5 days out, with R space on every segment.

SFO-YVR had empty seats.
YVR-YYZ had empty seats.
YYZ-SFO had one gate upgrade.

Who even needs an upgrade list when flights are leaving with empty seats?
Old May 26, 2016, 3:23 pm

Programs: AC
Switching affiliation from AC to UA?

Hey guys!

I'm a 75k Altitude member with Aeroplan member, and I hit ORD about 4-5 times a month, 99% of the time I take AC or UA, and lately I've been on 75% UA flights. Whenever there are eligible upgrades for UA flights, my status with Aeroplan doesn't make much of a difference in getting myself into a J class seat. I'm thinking of switching my affiliation to MileagePlus moving forward since I take mostly UA flights and I can still earn mileage on my AC flights. Are there any pros/cons to my plan? Obviously I won't be getting the same AC prestige (upgrade credits, etc) but with the Star Alliance level I should still be able to get into most lounges for free.

Anyone see any flaws in my plan? Thanks in advance!

X-posted to MileagePlus forum!
Old May 26, 2016, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Con: You will be in economy minus on your AC flights
Pro: You will be at least in E+ or at best in F on UA flights

Last edited by tcook052; May 26, 2016 at 8:32 pm Reason: housekeeping after thread merge
Old May 26, 2016, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by l6l803399
Hey guys!

I'm a 75k Altitude member with Aeroplan member, and I hit ORD about 4-5 times a month, 99% of the time I take AC or UA, and lately I've been on 75% UA flights. Whenever there are eligible upgrades for UA flights, my status with Aeroplan doesn't make much of a difference in getting myself into a J class seat. I'm thinking of switching my affiliation to MileagePlus moving forward since I take mostly UA flights and I can still earn mileage on my AC flights. Are there any pros/cons to my plan? Obviously I won't be getting the same AC prestige (upgrade credits, etc) but with the Star Alliance level I should still be able to get into most lounges for free.

Anyone see any flaws in my plan? Thanks in advance!

X-posted to MileagePlus forum!
Since you are flying UA the majority of the time, you should be on UA program which will give you more benefits on UA metal. I would also try for status match with UA.
Old May 26, 2016, 3:58 pm

Programs: AC SE
If most of your flying is on UA, then it probably makes sense. You should have good upgrade chances as a UA status member if you're traveling ORD-Canada. Slim chances if you're traveling hub to hub within the US (ORD-SFO, for example).
Old May 26, 2016, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
One downside is if you fly domestically in the US (without a same day international leg) you don't get United Club access unless you buy a membership.
Old May 26, 2016, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Since you are flying UA the majority of the time, you should be on UA program which will give you more benefits on UA metal. I would also try for status match with UA.
UA will not usually match from another Star Carrier, at the time I did it, it was because a perk of AMEX plat in the day was Gold on CX, and thats what allowed the match.
Old May 26, 2016, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by yul36
UA will not usually match from another Star Carrier, at the time I did it, it was because a perk of AMEX plat in the day was Gold on CX, and thats what allowed the match.
UA will allow you to do a status challenge. (at least at the time that is something that I could have done).

I would agree with others that since the OP is mainly flying UA to get onboard with the UA program.

Welcome to FT! or better yet, welcome to the zoo. We mostly don't bite, because if we do, we get smacked upside the head
Old May 26, 2016, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
UA will allow you to do a status challenge. (at least at the time that is something that I could have done).

I would agree with others that since the OP is mainly flying UA to get onboard with the UA program.

Welcome to FT! or better yet, welcome to the zoo. We mostly don't bite, because if we do, we get smacked upside the head
Challenge yes, match no.
Old May 26, 2016, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by yul36
Challenge yes, match no.
What was it again? How many flights in 90 days? (IIRC?)
Old May 26, 2016, 8:30 pm

Programs: U1K
If you are persistent and show them that you plan to travel a lot -- while threatening to switch to Delta or American (which will Match) -- you can get a small match. I was able to push for 50K match of my SE100K. Then spent 5 Months getting 75K and another month hitting 1K. Other thing to note is that a resident of Canada the PQD does not apply you only have to hit the miles.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 5:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Never sure which AC vs US thread is alive and active......so.....

Awesome photos. Got me wondering if anyone at AC HQ (or whoever owns/runs the MLLs) has any intention of moving out of the 1980's decor, and putting modern charging stations and ......wow, look at those day rooms.....

"United Airlines is fighting back against competition with a stunning new service"

http://www.businessinsider.com/unite...-lounge-2016-6
Old Jun 2, 2016, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by 24left
Never sure which AC vs US thread is alive and active......so.....

Awesome photos. Got me wondering if anyone at AC HQ (or whoever owns/runs the MLLs) has any intention of moving out of the 1980's decor, and putting modern charging stations and ......wow, look at those day rooms.....

"United Airlines is fighting back against competition with a stunning new service"

http://www.businessinsider.com/unite...-lounge-2016-6
I particularly like the wine flights and the gel cooling mattress and pillows. Although I'm sure someone from AC will chime in in how it's not possible due to storage,costs or some other comfort pony rendering issue.

Didn't yyzsd mention how AC has no more storage onboard?�� And used that as an excuse to justify (among other calls for service upgrades) the downgrade premium economy drinks to economical plastic ones? Yet UA, and other carriers seems to find a way...(especially with beverage variety).

Last edited by kwflyer; Jun 2, 2016 at 6:50 pm
Old Jun 2, 2016, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by kwflyer
I particularly like the wine flights and the gel cooling mattress and pillows. Although I'm sure someone from AC will chime in in how it's not possible due to storage,costs or some other comfort pony rendering issue.
wow, you are just a cheap entitled pax.
If people werent so cheap, AC would improve.

I cant believe the sense of entitlement, you are not entitled to gel cooling mattresses and pillows!

If you want that, pay more!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.