Search

Switching from AC to UA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by cooleddie
AC just got outcompeted now. Seems like a far superior product than AC
Not judging until I have been on the product. UA gel seats sound like a Chrysler marketing job from the 70's. "Corinthian Leather" ads. Cheap product dress up to be luxury.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Cheap product dress up to be luxury.
The decision of whether to switch really depends on what kind of product you buy.

If you our your employer is happily buying Flex, or if you fly paid J, if buying possibly more exmpensive AC flight numbers on Star metal isn't an issue, if making the AQD spend isn't a problem then AC is the choice for you. There these people in this forum, and more power to them.

If you're like me (and most of my peers who travel for business) - If you always fly economy class, if all your tickets on AC are Tango, if making AQD is difficult, well then UA is the logical choice. It was for me - I've been very happy, and I've haven't looked back.

...now when UA launches their bottom-of-the-barrel fare later this year it will likely all go down the tubes for me, but in the here-and-now...
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:16 am

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Not judging until I have been on the product. UA gel seats sound like a Chrysler marketing job from the 70's. "Corinthian Leather" ads. Cheap product dress up to be luxury.

Well, the proposed pajamas and slippers are already a win over Air Canada. And the Saks Fifth Avenue branded bedding (which happens to be a Canadian company).
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gglave
The decision of whether to switch really depends on what kind of product you buy.

My decision would be which airline can get me their the fastest with the most direct flights. I fly AC because of that. I will always fly UA when I can get a direct flight over AC 1 stop. I worked in Europe for many years(Germany/Italy) and always took LH because living in YVR, LH was the only direct choice. If there are 2 or 3 airline choices on a direct flight route, them product/FF benefits come to play for me. Bottom line is always time.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
My decision would be which airline can get me their the fastest with the most direct flights. I fly AC because of that. I will always fly UA when I can get a direct flight over AC 1 stop.
Are the majority of your AC ticket purchases Tango, Flex or Paid-J?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cooleddie
Well, the proposed pajamas and slippers are already a win over Air Canada. And the Saks Fifth Avenue branded bedding (which happens to be a Canadian company).
PJ's and Slippers? Sorry, not for me. I think it is more of a benefit that they don't have slippers and people keep their shoes on. I don't need the smell of feet over powering the cookies baking.
Canadian company controls by a American. Does that really make it a Canadian company?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gglave
Are the majority of your AC ticket purchases Tango, Flex or Paid-J?
Usually,

Dom - 90% Flex
CDN to Europe - J
Europe to CDN - Flex or PY
CDN to Asia - PY or J
Asia to CDN - J
Old Jun 3, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
PJ's and Slippers? Sorry, not for me. I think it is more of a benefit that they don't have slippers and people keep their shoes on. I don't need the smell of feet over powering the cookies baking.
Canadian company controls by a American. Does that really make it a Canadian company?
Except people don't keep their shoes on.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Excellent point. hopefully the availability for awards is there. I'd be willing to redeem for this new product at J prices more than I would for UA F.
Originally Posted by flyquiet
Except people don't keep their shoes on.
If I'm in a pod, on a route long enough that UA would offer slippers, my shoes are coming off, regardless of whether I get slippers.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
If I'm in a pod, on a route long enough that UA would offer slippers, my shoes are coming off, regardless of whether I get slippers.
Ditto. But the slippers are nice to have when going to the bathroom. On longhauls I like to swap my socks for the ones in the amenity kits (to keep my real socks fresh for when I land) and am always using the slippers when walking around. Usually to the bathroom which can get...wet.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
With UA's new product, I'm done flying AC and paying YQ. There is no reason NOT to fly UA now.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
With UA's new product, I'm done flying AC and paying YQ. There is no reason NOT to fly UA now.
Now equals 2017, as that's when the Polaris rollout will mostly kick in. But I have to agree with you.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
How does flying AC = YQ?

How does flying one prevent one from crediting to another program?

One can fly AC and credit to UA and enjoy the benefits of Mileage Plus
One can fly UA and credit to AC if one so desires.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by transportprof
Now equals 2017, as that's when the Polaris rollout will mostly kick in. But I have to agree with you.

I see you are UA 1K. You know UA is tightly controlling release of I .
Has been for the past 24 months.
Now as UA1K it is advise book any flight available in Coach class & WL required flight & COS. UA GS, 1K & Elite WL get priority of starting with GS, 1K Plat ...
Within the GS & 1K priority there is hierarchy.
GS , 1K & Plat do not pay change fee so we can WL as many flights as we want.
*A looking for I space have will be on the lowest step of the ladder for I Space.
UA looks after its Elites before any of *A members.
For the past 2 years for desirable routes during popular time I have had to WL. Within 24 hours IM clears the space if they are holding the IN or O space
Every single one of my WL flights have cleared between 24 hours or 30 days if flights are 3 or more months out.
With the new Polaris Class I space is going to be more tightly controlled. If award seats will be release it will be as IN.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by rankourabu
How does flying AC = YQ?

How does flying one prevent one from crediting to another program?

One can fly AC and credit to UA and enjoy the benefits of Mileage Plus
One can fly UA and credit to AC if one so desires.
If I redeem on AC, I have to pay YQ. I did so to avoid the product that exists on UA. Because UA has stepped up their game and will be offering a product that meets my standard, then I have no issue flying UA. That and I save some $ too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.