Wiki Posts
Search

Switching from AC to UA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2016, 10:09 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I'm still trying to figure out if I should switch to UA or PD or WS from AC... Any opinions form the fine folk here?
WS if you are planning to move to Brandon.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
I'm still trying to figure out if I should switch to UA or PD or WS from AC... Any opinions form the fine folk here?
Is it safe to assume you're bailing AFTER you reach 3M? i.e. Lifetime SE?
Old Apr 19, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I recommend Central Mountain Air (9M).
Old Apr 19, 2016, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cur
edit and postscript, i doubt you'd see this in the yvr or yyc mll during a snow event. but do correct me if i am wrong (which i very well could be)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26506292-post13.html
I've never had a problem getting reservations or any airport agent to reroute me when there is a "posted" issue with a connection point.

Heck, I remember back during EYW, there was some alleged fuel-worker-mini-strike in YYZ, no published issues or anything, and I had no trouble getting us routed away from YYZ. Although I accept that this one involved an email to the concierge, which is not something most people have access to.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by maradori
I guess I'm lucky in that all my 200K+ BIS miles with UA, I've never had a schedule change so I can't offer my experiences with them.
Most work flyers would never have to deal with this anyway since most bookings are closer in - and there will not be schedule changes anyway

Originally Posted by Absolute
Has anyone else noticed delays with AC flights posting to UA?
Nope, always 3-5 days after the flight.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by cur

as a silver ua is the best compared to any other *a. e+ and the hope in h3ll you'll get a cpu. and to be honest, i'm 2/4 upgrading as a silver, canada-iah odds tend to be ^^^ for silvers
I agree with you here. Last week I was scheduled to fly YYZ-DEN-LAS but it didn't look like my upgrades would clear, so during OLCI, looked at the four other routing options UA was offering me to change to for free (ORD, IAD, EWR, IAH), checked out the seat maps, and picked IAH. Sure enough, left with 2 empty seats in J so all silvers would have been upgraded.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ffsim
Definitely PD. Think of the fun you'll have on your weekly TATLs and TPACs
^
What's the etops on those Q400s?
I don't mind hopping onto small islands to get to where I need to go.
I heard they serve all pax their beverages in glassware... Sign me up!
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by cur
congratulations and good call.

as a silver ua is the best compared to any other *a. e+ and the hope in h3ll you'll get a cpu. and to be honest, i'm 2/4 upgrading as a silver, canada-iah odds tend to be ^^^ for silvers

then you go on the ua forum and see people who are 1k and 1/90 on cpu...... anyways canada is definitely a sweet spot so enjoy it. then you hit platinum and you're king of the hill (until you take iah-ewr on a weekday...where i was 12/44 on the upgrade list on a 763 with 2 seats)

this too. instant recognition like it's 2016 or something!
I would not say Canada-IAH is an easy upgrade on UA. YYZ-IAH may be an easy upgrade, but YYC-IAH is not an easy upgrade by any stretch - lots of paid J, GS, 1K's. Spouse has been in the double digits (10+) on the upgrade list as a 1K a number of times. Out of the UA routes from YYC, my impression is that IAH is the most difficult UA upgrade, with DEN, SFO, and ORD being generally better odds.

Agreed that early recognition for Silver is a great benefit on UA for those switching programs, and that UA Silver offers good benefits, but don't expect upgrades on YYC-IAH as a Silver.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gcashin
I would not say Canada-IAH is an easy upgrade on UA. YYZ-IAH may be an easy upgrade, but YYC-IAH is not an easy upgrade by any stretch - lots of paid J, GS, 1K's. Spouse has been in the double digits (10+) on the upgrade list as a 1K a number of times. Out of the UA routes from YYC, my impression is that IAH is the most difficult UA upgrade, with DEN, SFO, and ORD being generally better odds.

Agreed that early recognition for Silver is a great benefit on UA for those switching programs, and that UA Silver offers good benefits, but don't expect upgrades on YYC-IAH as a Silver.
Say it ain't so!

United offers unlimited upgrades, or so I've been told.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Say it ain't so!
How does one get an upgrade on AC YYC-IAH on planes full of oil people flying for work?
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rankourabu
How does one get an upgrade on AC YYC-IAH on planes full of oil people flying for work?
Wait for $20 oil? No, that won't work. Flight would be cancelled.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:48 am

Say it ain't so!
So true.
The UG list are comical on UA trunk routes. They're going to need bigger screens at the gate.
Flying SFOORD this weekend. Going to try and get a pic
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
So true.
The UG list are comical on UA trunk routes. They're going to need bigger screens at the gate.
Flying SFOORD this weekend. Going to try and get a pic
That will change if UA follows Delta and AA.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: AC SE
Say it ain't so!

The CPU's may not always clear, but at least you get on the upgrade list even when you're on the lowest fare, and may get the occasional CPU, which is something AC doesn't offer on its lowest fares. Have a CPU cleared for this weekend for a YYC-DEN.

If the chances for the upgrade don't look good, higher status members can always try to do a SDC for free for a flight where the odds may be better. UA has more E+ seats, plus 1K's traveling in Y get a free drink and food item, which is more than AC offers to it's SE's traveling in Y.

For people paying high fares for J or upgradeable Y fares, flying UA metal may not be the best bet. But for those who often travel on lower fares, UA benefits are pretty good.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gcashin
The CPU's may not always clear, but at least you get on the upgrade list even when you're on the lowest fare, and may get the occasional CPU, which is something AC doesn't offer on its lowest fares. Have a CPU cleared for this weekend for a YYC-DEN.

If the chances for the upgrade don't look good, higher status members can always try to do a SDC for free for a flight where the odds may be better. UA has more E+ seats, plus 1K's traveling in Y get a free drink and food item, which is more than AC offers to it's SE's traveling in Y.

For people paying high fares for J or upgradeable Y fares, flying UA metal may not be the best bet. But for those who often travel on lower fares, UA benefits are pretty good.

But at least AC has transparent upgrade lists posted at every gate and online so you know ahead whether to prepare for upgrades clearing or not..

Oh wait.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.