Wiki Posts
Search

Switching from AC to UA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2016, 8:01 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Well, to be fair, if I'm saving $1000 by flying UA, I can "put up with" the new UA J. But I would not put up with their existing J product.
you're gon have to wait a few years for polaris to be priced at that (if ever? i mean it's prob $1000 cheaper when flying the 8 across j), on 1december when polaris is deployed it'll only be on high yield bidness routes between sfo ord iah and lhr hkg and nrt

but a very impressive enhancement indeed, combined with catering already getting significantly better and pretty much similar to ac....and the sundae dessert will still be offered

i'm happy to have converted to the church of united from ac orthodox. if you want i can leave you some literature....
Old Jun 4, 2016, 8:17 am

Programs: A3 Silver
Originally Posted by cur
you're gon have to wait a few years for polaris to be priced at that (if ever? i mean it's prob $1000 cheaper when flying the 8 across j), on 1december when polaris is deployed it'll only be on high yield bidness routes between sfo ord iah and lhr hkg and nrt

but a very impressive enhancement indeed, combined with catering already getting significantly better and pretty much similar to ac....and the sundae dessert will still be offered

i'm happy to have converted to the church of united from ac orthodox. if you want i can leave you some literature....
Pretty sure he is talking about saving $1000 in YQ. UA doesn't charge YQ on aeroplan redemptions while AC does (unless you are super dee duper elite)
Old Jun 4, 2016, 8:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by cur
LMAO. Wins Quote of the Day
Old Jun 4, 2016, 9:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by montezume
Pretty sure he is talking about saving $1000 in YQ. UA doesn't charge YQ on aeroplan redemptions while AC does (unless you are super dee duper elite)
Yes.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
A friend of mine just bought some domestic US transcon on UA, and bought upgrades to business class on most segments immediately after ticketing.

He earns more miles crediting to Aeroplan at 50% (~3500) than he does crediting to United (~2500).

That's with no status. With top status, Aeroplan would still win.

Edit: I just realized that the upgrades rebooked him into P/A. So it's even more on Aeroplan, because those segments are now 100%. So closer to double by crediting to Aeroplan than to MileagePlus.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by canadiancow
A friend of mine just bought some domestic US transcon on UA, and bought upgrades to business class on most segments immediately after ticketing.

He earns more miles crediting to Aeroplan at 50% (~3500) than he does crediting to United (~2500).

That's with no status. With top status, Aeroplan would still win.

Edit: I just realized that the upgrades rebooked him into P/A. So it's even more on Aeroplan, because those segments are now 100%. So closer to double by crediting to Aeroplan than to MileagePlus.
OMG! No way! When did this happen?
Are you telling me now UA (and DL) award mileage based on price paid
Thanks for the newsflash!

Now, a corporate drone SE friend of mine bought a biz ticket one way on YYZ-YVR on united.com - receipt showing 12221 RDM earned. Double of what a SE would earn.

So yes, for cheap tickets - AE may still come out ahead.
For a true premium flyer - Aeroplan is a joke compared to the US programs
Old Jun 4, 2016, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
So yes, for cheap tickets - AE may still come out ahead.
"May".

I just did the math. 4454 miles credited to Aeroplan. 2521 credited to MileagePlus.

Aeroplan doesn't win by a "tiny bit". It's a landslide.

This is a real ticket that my friend bought and is going to fly - not a contrived example.

It seems like you switch arguments a lot. One day it's "Air Canada is too expensive". The next it's "United is better if you spend lots of money."

Or are you saying United is better because you spend lots of money on Air Canada.

Because it seems like for people who buy cheap United tickets, the way to accumulate miles is to credit to Aeroplan.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
"May".

I just did the math. 4454 miles credited to Aeroplan. 2521 credited to MileagePlus.

Aeroplan doesn't win by a "tiny bit". It's a landslide.

This is a real ticket that my friend bought and is going to fly - not a contrived example.

Because it seems like for people who buy cheap United tickets, the way to accumulate miles is to credit to Aeroplan.
Mileage Plus is a better program for people who spend money. The princess has provided full examples of that in the other thread,
Especially now when premium fares earn double/triple status miles., and sorry I value the opinion of someone who has been flying for decades and has held both statuses, over yours.....

When did I say AC is too expensive? Quite the opposite - AC Y is a cheap nonstop no frills way to get places. When I pay <$CAD400 for DXB and IST, I knew exactly the crap I was getting. And even with those, crediting to UAMP - came out 100% ahead in status mileage.

I havent flown UA at all this year, yet will still make 1K easily, thanks in part to AC low Tango fares earning 100%, and in part to (very discounted) NH F paid fares that earn me 300% qualifying miles

You seem to be under the impression that to benefit from a FFP, one has to 100% fly that airline.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Mileage Plus is a better program for people who spend money. The princess has provided full examples of that in the other thread,
100% correct. I did 2 trips to South Africa on FEB 2016 & 2 weeks ago May 2016 codeshare on AC Metal LH coded share AC metal TATL LH Metal FRA-SA ticketed on LH .
Each Roundtrip netted me 55K+ PQM Total PQM 110K+ . Netted me 4 GPU & 8 RPU. And RDM for LH code shared AC metal received 300%.^

AC SE if I had credited to AE would have received only 200% award miles for AC metal.

By crediting my premium revenue flights to UA MP I am receiving not only boatload of RDM ; I am receiving boatloads of GPU & RPU. Thanks to UA MP generous earning ability on premium fares for LH & AC; this year for the first time since I have been UA 1K I will have more GPUs & RPUs than I have need for

Last edited by yyzprincess; Jun 4, 2016 at 3:48 pm
Old Jun 4, 2016, 1:41 pm

If any *A FF member believes that they can get I space on United they will have a rude awaking. For past 2 years UA no longer releases I space. UA GS & 1K & elite grab whatever & WL for desired flights & dates.
In 2016 UA stop releasing I T24 on most of its international routes.
AC fan boys should stroll over to UA forum & read threads which confirms above.
My point if UA is so tight with I space with current Business Class, I will bet my last dollar UA IM will be tighter with the new business class.

If AC fans want to try UA new business class they had better get friendly with UA GS & 1K (with placement on higher up on the food chain )& get them to gift GPU & upgrade my advise.

Last edited by tcook052; Jun 6, 2016 at 7:05 pm
Old Jun 4, 2016, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by yyzprincess
If any *A FF member believes that they can get I space on United they will have a rude awaking. For past 2 years UA no longer releases I space. UA GS & 1K & elite grab whatever & WL for desired flights & dates.

I've found plenty of I and O space on United metal in the past 2 years.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 2:06 pm

I've found plenty of I and O space on United metal in the past 2 years.
Really.
O yes. Last minute. (I) use to be undesirable routes. UA Forum there posts after post UA no longer having I or IN nowadays even T24.
No need to take my word. Read for yourself from UA Forum

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26644343-post571.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26644380-post572.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26687571-post577.html

I challenge you post the above statement on UA Forum in this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...2016-a-39.html .

BTW, I am happy provide solid numbers UA MP is better if one spends lots of money as current as numbers for my flights FEB 2016 & May 2016 flights.
As AC SE for over a decade I know how many AQM & RDM I would have received if crediting to AE having done it for decades previous to 2016.

As for buying cheap UA tickets & crediting to AE I cannot comment on that as I rarely purchase cheap UA tickets &I certainly do not credit my UA flights to AC as I am fast tracking to 3 Million miler.

[QUOTE=canadiancow;26728323 One day it's "Air Canada is too expensive". The next it's "United is better if you spend lots of money."

Or are you saying United is better because you spend lots of money on Air Canada.
Because it seems like for people who buy cheap United tickets, the way to accumulate miles is to credit to Aeroplan.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by yyzprincess; Jun 4, 2016 at 3:54 pm
Old Jun 4, 2016, 3:54 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
IMO, Polaris will be all about execution. While a lot of people think "Polaris" is a questionable branding name, it is pretty clear and distinct.

Let me demonstrate Air Canada's current approach through quoting a blogger:

I don't know if Air Canada hired a new PR firm or not but it looks like they are having a bit of an identity crisis. As you know, Air Canada's business class product used to be called, "Executive First." Because their lineup lacked a true first class product, they decided to market their business class product as a first/business class hybrid product.

Well, that name was apparently too confusing (or misleading) for their clients so they have since re-branded their Executive First product to be called "International Business Class." Not as glamorous a title as "Executive First" but I think this was a good move for them. It's simple and everyone knows what business class is (or at least, should be). And let's be honest, Air Canada's business class is a great product but not a first class product by any means.

But the identity crisis doesn't end there. Depending on which aircraft you are flying, Air Canada now has four different business class seats to choose from. There are three different configurations for their wide-body, long haul aircraft and one configuration for their narrow-body North America/Caribbean flights.

The new "International Business Class" cabins will have three different layouts but there will be four different business class products flying internationally. Confused yet?
It's as bad as UA's former "BusinessFirst".
Old Jun 5, 2016, 3:27 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
yep just booked iahbeyiah in bidness with a total of $80cad in service fees

another w for ua
Old Jun 5, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Reading the last few pages is like watching a video of those strange people who go to comic-con events dressed up as comic book/scifi characters, arguing about who has better super powers.

I appreciate the reliable guidance of YYZ Princess and note that she has worded it in such a way that if one is the type of customer described, a lot of aggravation can be avoided.

We all know that Aeroplan and Air Canada screw people over with the surcharges. Nothing new there. However, on many of the Asian routes with AC, one is only given options such as Egyptair or Air India, neither of which I want to fly. (Never see Jet offered the int'l routes.) From what I have seen, United doesn't dump its redemption customers into the scary world of bottom of the barrel airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.