Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Switching from AC to UA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I had an issue with a flight not being correctly credited to MileagePlus (was credited but in the wrong booking class). It was an AC flight. Now, we all know how painful it is to deal with these issues with AC/AE. First of all they love to bounce you around between the two entities claiming it's the other ones fault. Second, AC has no customer service call center, you have to send in an email that they may or may not even respond to. Finally, the response is frequently a form letter/email that doesn't actually address your issue in any way or indicate that anyone even read what you wrote. Many on this forum have written about spending months chasing uncredited/incorrectly credited flights with AC/AE.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that I could submit a general customer service request to MileagePlus, attach the supporting documentation and receive a reply from a real person (NOT a form letter) acknowledging my issue and describing what they'd do to resolve it. The customer service rep also provided their direct contact info to follow up on the issue if it wasn't resolved. Took 3 business days. There was no effort to bounce me around to the operating carrier.

This isn't exceptional customer service. It's just normal for any company that isn't Air Canada or Aeroplan.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:42 am
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Originally Posted by KenHamer
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

So... airlines should fire customers they need?
No, airlines or any business should fire customers they don't need.
Hmmmm... Yet you claim Air Canada needs all those customers buying Tango fares while at the same time suggesting they should be fired.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.

Hmmmm... Yet you claim Air Canada needs all those customers buying Tango fares while at the same time suggesting they should be fired.
I have to say, I agree with what you have said.
Air Canada needs Tango paying customers more than the Tango paying customers needs AC. Those planes will NOT be filled up by flex and up customers. Unless you are talking about a route from London City to NYC LMAO.

In a way the mentality that tango customers are subsidized by flex and up customers is wrong. Because those seats will be empty otherwise. There are still choices on TPAC such as EVA air routing through Taipei or DFW/LAX/ORD on to TATL even domestic wise there's still West Jet for medium haul and porter for short haul.

That said. AC still has the best hard product compare to West Jet for medium haul, you can fly on nice planes(except the HD)
Porter is perhaps the least discriminating and if they can get the CS100 going it would really change how I travel significantly.
Service wise is just extremely hit or miss with AC compared to Porter. I flew Porter a few times to realize hey you know what, this is nice and if they can fly to Vancouver with CS100s I don't see Why I should not be flying with them.

I want to give AC credit where credit is due.

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Feb 24, 2016 at 11:03 am
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:56 am

You've got it all wrong: all those HD seats in Y are meant to go empty to make the folks up front feel better about how they're helping AC remain profitable.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 12:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

I think the point is that AC does not need Tango-paying SEs.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 1:47 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Airlines are basically like any retail store selling a product.
Indeed. Just last week I was on a flight a couple hours into it I decided I didn't like it. So they took me back to my departure point and let me pick a different flight.

Oh wait! That was a chair I got from The Brick.

If the customer is a sale shopper(fly tango fare only), they will never be important to that business. Yes, they need these customer to get rid of excess inventory, but why give them benefits that cost money.
They "need these customers", but "they will never be important".

Is that like water? I need water, but it will never be important?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
[QUOTE=KenHamer;26238

They "need these customers", but "they will never be important".

Is that like water? I need water, but it will never be important?[/QUOTE]

Good try, but No.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 2:25 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
As this thread is about switching from AC to UA, perhaps the discussion about AC's plans, intentions, etc. could be moved to the 2017 status thread, or the AC changes thread? I feel like the posts talking about UA, people's progress in the transfer, good/bad points, etc., are getting buried.

And yes, I'm aware I've done my fair share of off-topic posts.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Absolute
I feel like the posts talking about UA, people's progress in the transfer, good/bad points, etc., are getting buried.
Surely, thats not intentional
Old Feb 26, 2016, 6:14 am

yeah wow this isn't about mileage plus at all

i did the switch from errorplan to mp and am super happy with united. award bookings on the ua website are great and less painful than ap.com. some great business saver deals. no yq so the fees are like $5 for a long haul. complimentary upgrades and always e+.

yeah ac has better j but i don't care about this when i can get upgraded for free for a 4.5 hr flight and have cheerios and memosas for breakfast

plus ua has titos.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by phbl
yeah wow this isn't about mileage plus at all

i did the switch from errorplan to mp and am super happy with united. award bookings on the ua website are great and less painful than ap.com. some great business saver deals. no yq so the fees are like $5 for a long haul. complimentary upgrades and always e+.

yeah ac has better j but i don't care about this when i can get upgraded for free for a 4.5 hr flight and have cheerios and memosas for breakfast

plus ua has titos.
Chuckle, most of us who switch to UA, love it, but some posters here believe everything AC is amazing, so expect to be flamed.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I think the point is that AC does not need Tango-paying SEs.
Yes, That was what I was saying.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 8:15 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Flew YVR - ORD - DCA today on a basic economy United ticket.

Arrived at ORD a few minutes early and saw there was an earlier DCA flight that I could make. Went to the gate for the earlier flight and asked if I could get on standby.

"Sure!" the smiling gate agent said, and printed me out a new boarding pass right there and then.

No "That'll be $75" no "Sorry, you're on too low of a fare class."

As long as United keeps this sort of thing up, I'm going to work hard to keep giving them my business.

Not so AC.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 11:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gglave
Flew YVR - ORD - DCA today on a basic economy United ticket.

Arrived at ORD a few minutes early and saw there was an earlier DCA flight that I could make. Went to the gate for the earlier flight and asked if I could get on standby.

"Sure!" the smiling gate agent said, and printed me out a new boarding pass right there and then.

No "That'll be $75" no "Sorry, you're on too low of a fare class."

As long as United keeps this sort of thing up, I'm going to work hard to keep giving them my business.

Not so AC.
I've had AC do that for me on Tango fares, and I've had UA deny it until I show them my *G card, so I'm not sure how different it is in practice, regardless of "official policy".

You're UA*S and wanted UA to do something nice for you. That's very different from being a nobody.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 11:27 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow

You're UA*S and wanted UA to do something nice for you. That's very different from being a nobody.
I'm a United nobody and have had gglave's experience happen to me (same route funnily enough) twice since the new year. Similarly, between YVR and DC, I opt for UA via ORD or DEN rather than endure a diminishing product and the fresh hell that is YYZ transborder connections (even with a Nexus card).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.