FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Canadian Celebrity Sightings (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/16999-canadian-celebrity-sightings.html)

billybob123 Aug 13, 2008 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Karlitos (Post 10197591)
Chris Cuthbert in the YVR domestic MLL on Saturday....surfing his Blackberry. I wonder why he isn't in Beijing....?

My guess is because he doesn't work for CBC anymore and TSN needs him for CFL in Canada. They've left the basketball (on TSN) in the capable hands of Paul Romaniuk. Thank god they left that windbag Chuck Swirsky in Toronto and not on the Olympics airwaves!!

yyz_atc_lj Aug 13, 2008 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by bichoo (Post 10195498)
Sat next to Stockwell Day last sunday from YLW-YYZ. :D

I was in Row 12 and wasn't sure it was him or not, I thought maybe. I'm assuming #196?

bug_me_not Aug 14, 2008 2:08 am

Originally Posted by taupo (Post 10195869)
I think you will find that Bill Gates travels on a BBJ, unless of course the Netjet ad with Gates and Warren Buffet are completely misleading.

I'd be surprised if Bill always flies private. He doesn't seem like that type.

ypqRD Aug 14, 2008 5:51 am

Originally Posted by bug_me_not (Post 10199611)
I'd be surprised if Bill always flies private. He doesn't seem like that type.

I had lunch with Bill in June. Really, just 12 or so of us and 4 or 5 MS people and Bill. I was told he flew in private, did the big speech, went and did some work in a quiet room for an hour or so, had photo-opp and lunch with us, then back to the airport to fly out private to the next thing. I think his days of waiting at the airport are over.

laidback71 Aug 14, 2008 10:23 am

Originally Posted by billybob123 (Post 10198601)
Thank god they left that windbag Chuck Swirsky in Toronto and not on the Olympics airwaves!!

Chuck has moved back to Chicago. He will no longer be doing Raptor games.

st7860 Aug 14, 2008 10:24 am

what does bill clinton fly on? bbj or a gulfstream or commerical business?

(he's coming to vancouver soon canada.com says)

500 miles at a time Sep 8, 2008 3:00 pm

A loaded flight heading to YYZ from LGA likely for the film festival:

Ivanna Trump
Sigourney Weaver
A girl from ER
Me

Getting off the flight from YYZ prior to me boarding:

Lindsay Lohan

moss389 Sep 10, 2008 3:09 pm

In the spring of 2003 (rather belated post, but anyhow...) I saw Jamie Sale and David Pelletier on YYZ-PHL.

Lucinka Sep 10, 2008 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by moss389 (Post 10346743)
In the spring of 2003 (rather belated post, but anyhow...) I saw Jamie Sale and David Pelletier on YYZ-PHL.

I just saw them at YVR last week, and it took me about 5 mins of pondering on my way to the gate to figure out who they were.

Short hair Francis Sep 10, 2008 10:13 pm

My mom saw Hedy Fry, MP for Vancouver Centre on YYZ-YVR, flight 33 on the 77L on Sept 7. She told me the whole plane was literally waiting for her to take off and yes, she was sitting in J. I hope she was using upgrades since that's taxpayer's money. One question, what is the best J seat on the 77L? For that flight, I assigned her 6A and wonder if that's a good seat.

East-West AC Sep 10, 2008 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis (Post 10348736)
My mom saw Hedy Fry, MP for Vancouver Centre on YYZ-YVR, flight 33 on the 77L on Sept 7. She told me the whole plane was literally waiting for her to take off and yes, she was sitting in J. I hope she was using upgrades since that's taxpayer's money. One question, what is the best J seat on the 77L? For that flight, I assigned her 6A and wonder if that's a good seat.

Doesn't surprise me at all. She always flies J, or at least she has for the half-dozen times I've seen her on a flight. I was supposed to be on 033 on the 7th and changed at the last minute. I'm not anti-Liberal but she's not my favourite.

propofol Sep 11, 2008 3:49 am

She's a dork: remember the "Mr. Speaker, we can just go to British Columbia, in Prince George, where crosses are being burned on lawns as we speak" in 2001? She subsequently apologized.

airbus320 Sep 11, 2008 5:41 am

MPs travel in J when commuting between their riding and Ottawa. It is part of their package.

kellytoronto Sep 11, 2008 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by airbus320 (Post 10349590)
MPs travel in J when commuting between their riding and Ottawa. It is part of their package.

They must be in the same union as AC crew ;)

wali Sep 13, 2008 9:02 am

Whats the big deal if they travel in J class!
Still cheaper than chartering a jet!
Doesn't bother me at all!
The people who pay full J/F are the ones who are keeping airlines afloat.

wali

kellytoronto Sep 13, 2008 2:05 pm

Had Paul Martin + Sheila on Porter from YUL-YTZ yesterday. He rudely pre-booked my usual unprebookable seat (1B). I was forced across the aisle from him.

shore9 Sep 13, 2008 2:09 pm

I saw her on a flight YOW - YYZ - YVR about a year ago, also in J. And I am almost positive that she would have been on at least a latitude fare, as I confirmed my upgrade over a month in advance and it was J0 the day of departure. Has anybody reported seeing a politician on a long haul domestic flight sitting in Y?

why fly Sep 13, 2008 3:01 pm

Govt and Unions get J seating.:eek:

jarusoba Sep 13, 2008 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by shore9 (Post 10363850)
Has anybody reported seeing a politician on a long haul domestic flight sitting in Y?

Only when there is one class of service.:D

Seriously, they're flying on other peoples' (ie taxpayers') money. Why would they sit in Y?:rolleyes:

yyz_atc_lj Sep 13, 2008 3:12 pm

I may be wrong (and I'm sure I'll hear about it if so) but I thought that it had something to do with the Air Canada Act and Pols getting up front any ideas? Also therefore no "sold" J seats but a bit of parliamentary privilege.

shore9 Sep 13, 2008 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by why fly (Post 10364065)
Govt and Unions get J seating.:eek:

They shouldn't get it, if they really want to serve their country they should do it the old fashioned way and travel by rail :D

acysb87 Sep 13, 2008 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by shore9 (Post 10364380)
They shouldn't get it, if they really want to serve their country they should do it the old fashioned way and travel by rail :D

I like your idea.Via rail pax service is in major need of repair and upgrades.A few politicians getting sore butts would be good.

Alternatively,have them all fly fly on one class Jazz or CRJ a/c.;)

Vaclav Sep 14, 2008 9:49 am

Canadian figure skating celebrity

Last night, before the last leg of my mileage run, I notice in YVR domestic MLL the 2002 Olympic champion David Pelletier.

tcook052 Sep 18, 2008 12:55 am

At LAX this (Wed.) morning as I was waiting to board my nonstop flight home to YEG I saw Alice Cooper waiting to board AC 553 LAX-YVR. He even said hello and gave a quick hug to someone who sure looked like Janeane Garofalo who was on the same flight. Alice isn't so tall in person. :p

IluvSQ Sep 18, 2008 7:36 am

Has anybody reported seeing a politician on a long haul domestic flight sitting in Y?

Yes.
Years ago, while he was Premier, I was Mike Harris's seatmate on a flight
from YYZ to either PBI or FLL ( I can't recall which). I couldn't get into
J that flight, and neither could he. He had one OPP officer sitting
behind him.

pmax Sep 18, 2008 10:55 am

Originally Posted by IluvSQ (Post 10387752)
Yes.
Years ago, while he was Premier, I was Mike Harris's seatmate on a flight
from YYZ to either PBI or FLL ( I can't recall which). I couldn't get into
J that flight, and neither could he. He had one OPP officer sitting
behind him.

Seems like he goes to FLL often.

Vaclav Sep 19, 2008 5:02 am

This morning on AC483 (YUL-YYZ) the diving champion Alexandre Despatie.

Flews Sep 19, 2008 5:58 am

Originally Posted by pmax (Post 10388851)
Seems like he goes to FLL often.

Used to. Now Harris has a place on the other side.

CdnFlier Sep 19, 2008 8:03 am

I saw her on a flight YOW - YYZ - YVR about a year ago, also in J. And I am almost positive that she would have been on at least a latitude fare, as I confirmed my upgrade over a month in advance and it was J0 the day of departure. Has anybody reported seeing a politician on a long haul domestic flight sitting in Y?

Well, not that it's long haul but I saw Peter McKay and a companion traveling in Y for YYZ->YHZ. Mind you they had an exit row but still.

ALW Sep 19, 2008 12:15 pm

If this includes non-Canadians on AC flights, sat behind Queen Latifah on Sept 11 EWR-YYZ. Didn't look at all like the person I saw on someone else's screen in What Happens In Vegas, but looked just like the person I saw on TV speaking at the premier of her new movie at the TIFF. :)

=aw

cabernar Sep 30, 2008 8:57 am

Paul Gross at YOW right now. He cleared security ahead of me, with a staffer from CTV eTalk. Didn't recognize him at first and had to ask the screener to refresh my memory. He also said Cameron Diaz had been through his line last week.

lespoir Sep 30, 2008 12:04 pm

Does Canada have celebrities?

st7860 Sep 30, 2008 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by lespoir (Post 10447878)
Does Canada have celebrities?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celine_dion

samcmontreal Oct 3, 2008 5:22 am

Sep 21 SFO-YUL Sheryl Crow Seat 4C

propensityscore Oct 3, 2008 6:04 am

Silken Laumann in the YYC lounge a few months ago. Man, she's tall.

Cheers,
PS

ALW Oct 9, 2008 8:30 pm

Sarah Chalke (and Jaime Afifi) about half an hour ago.

Rode the elevator and stood in line at security with them. They seemed very nice (and were connecting to YVR).

=aw

tracon Oct 10, 2008 7:56 am

Paul Martin, YHZ MLL as I type this.

Vaclav Oct 10, 2008 8:04 am

Originally Posted by tracon (Post 10499085)
Paul Martin, YHZ MLL as I type this.

Is he still a celebrity? :mad:

Stranger Oct 10, 2008 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Vaclav (Post 10499119)
Is he still a celebrity? :mad:

At least, I know who he is. Can't say the same of most of the other names that popped up in this thread. :D

anishm Oct 11, 2008 9:52 am

Ralph Klein in YUL on Oct 9 waiting in the ridiculously long security line. I thought he'd be flying J and would go through the priority line.