FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Canadian Celebrity Sightings (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/16999-canadian-celebrity-sightings.html)

taupo Oct 11, 2008 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 10499474)
At least, I know who he is. Can't say the same of most of the other names that popped up in this thread. :D

I thought I was the only one.

st7860 Oct 11, 2008 9:58 am

Originally Posted by anishm (Post 10504545)
Ralph Klein in YUL on Oct 9 waiting in the ridiculously long security line. I thought he'd be flying J and would go through the priority line.

maybe he's saving money?

Vaclav Oct 15, 2008 3:51 am

Mae West

Yes, indeed, or so I thought when I was approaching the door of an AC B777 to board the flight 874 last Friday.

I was the first to board and she even took the time to say 'Come up and see me some time' ... What am I saying? There were no 777s during the long tenure of Miss West but she surely had and extended range.

More seriously, the FA working that flight could be her look-a-like. :)

InTheAirGuy Oct 25, 2008 3:17 pm

Morley Safer

Today, on LGA-YYZ.

He came on and went back to economy.

Just before departure, the FA went back, and brought him up to the last empty J seat. I thought it was very nice.

Lots of people saying hello to him, patting him on the back, as we came off the plane in YYZ.

ALW Oct 25, 2008 3:25 pm

Thursday night, standing on the jetway at YYZ, a group of 3 in front of me. When we got to the plane, 2 peeled off and said goodbye, leaving Jean Chrétien to board and fly to YUL. No one made a fuss over him though I think a few said hello.

=aw

why fly Oct 25, 2008 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by ALW (Post 10576863)
Thursday night, standing on the jetway at YYZ, a group of 3 in front of me. When we got to the plane, 2 peeled off and said goodbye, leaving Jean Chrétien to board and fly to YUL. No one made a fuss over him though I think a few said hello.

=aw

hopefully he was in Y:mad:

ALW Oct 25, 2008 6:38 pm

No, he was in J too. And I don't begrudge it, I figure if I'm entitled, he's entitled. :)

=aw

AnselmAdorne Oct 25, 2008 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by ALW (Post 10577501)
... I figure if I'm entitled, he's entitled. :)

You just reminded me of David Dingwall: "I'm entitled to my entitlements." :D

zorn Oct 25, 2008 10:18 pm

All of Toronto FC was flying to SFO on Thursday.

yyznomad Oct 26, 2008 12:48 am

Originally Posted by why fly (Post 10577220)
hopefully he was in Y:mad:

bah.. all of 'em sit in J to YUL/YOW :) nothing to fret over :p

Academic Oct 26, 2008 8:41 am

Originally Posted by ALW (Post 10576863)

=aw

He was coming back from getting an Honorary degree at Western.

ALW Nov 1, 2008 1:06 pm

Montie Brewer, YYZ-YUL on Oct 31. He went around and said hello to most or all of the J cabin (not me).

I don't think he likes FT much.

=aw

airbus320 Nov 1, 2008 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by ALW (Post 10613095)
Montie Brewer, YYZ-YUL on Oct 31. He went around and said hello to most or all of the J cabin (not me).

=aw

Was he wearing an anti-FT button? :D

NordsFan Nov 1, 2008 1:18 pm

=aw

So you saw MB on a plane.

He spoke to other pax in J, but not to you.

You conclude that you don't think he likes FT much.

Did he make a cabin announcement to that effect or what ?

ALW Nov 1, 2008 1:24 pm

No he was sitting next to me and I introduced myself. We had a conversation in which FT came up. Perhaps I misunderstood and he just didn't like me. ;)

=aw

NordsFan Nov 1, 2008 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by ALW (Post 10613175)
No he was sitting next to me and I introduced myself. We had a conversation in which FT came up. Perhaps I misunderstood and he just didn't like me. ;)

=aw

I must have misunderstood the part in your thread when you wrote "MB...(...) said hello to most or all of the J cabin (not me)".

My bad. Apologies. Truly sorry. Milles excuses. Désolé.

ALW Nov 1, 2008 1:33 pm

No problem, apologies accepted and returned in kind -- the two paragraphs were unrelated but presented in a way that they could have been related. I guess when I removed the reference to my "FT roolz and AC droolz!" t-shirt. ;)

Actually I don't know why he didn't say hello, he had the manifest in hand and he may only have said hello to SE and J paying, but I doubted that at the time and doubt it now. Maybe I just looked like someone who would engage in a conversation when "hello" was preferred. ;)

I actually said good things about AC, based on my experience this year.

=aw

mjschill Nov 1, 2008 4:40 pm

SE better than a Rock Star??

Sat in front of Steven Page from BNL today AC980 YYZ-NAS.

He was in 3F, my wife and I in 2D/F. J was booked full, so we're guessing he bought 3D as well, which was empty. My wife even bet me that he because of celebrity'ness they would probably serve him breakfast first.

No way....SE's ahead of Rock Stars....today anyway!

IsleTraveller Nov 1, 2008 6:45 pm

Recently, saw Steve Podborski in YVR then Raymond Chan, ex-MP in YYZ. RC was probably heading to Ottawa to clean out his apartment after his recent loss in the federal elections.

threepoint Nov 1, 2008 7:19 pm

When Steve Podborski and Raymond Chan make the 'celebrity' list, there's a barrel being scraped somewhere.

Tangoer Nov 1, 2008 7:25 pm

=aw

I'll bet ole' Monty did not make an appearance in the Y cabin lest he was pelted with $3 headsets, $2 pillow packs, $6 BOB items or other artifacts of AC's cost-cutting regime. :p

jayman Nov 1, 2008 8:33 pm

Tom Cochrane was on the YYZ-AUS flight on Friday October 24. Guess he was probably going down for the Willie Nelso festival.

He was up in J.

propofol Nov 2, 2008 5:41 am

Originally Posted by mjschill (Post 10613921)
Sat in front of Steven Page from BNL today AC980 YYZ-NAS.

He was in 3F, my wife and I in 2D/F. J was booked full, so we're guessing he bought 3D as well, which was empty. My wife even bet me that he because of celebrity'ness they would probably serve him breakfast first.

No way....SE's ahead of Rock Stars....today anyway!

Maybe 3D was for his parole officer? :)

binkymontreal Nov 3, 2008 10:26 am

Was on-board with our finance minister Jim Flaherty lasy week (YOW-YYZ). He was on his way to speak on bay street.
He seemed a bit stressed :rolleyes:

Calli Nov 3, 2008 10:50 am

Ignatieff and I shuffled past each other this morning to/from MLL Terminal 1.

I was in transit from YYT to YOW.

Wonder where he was off to? Didn't see him on my flight to Ottawa...

bub_lee Nov 3, 2008 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by binkymontreal (Post 10621830)
Was on-board with our finance minister Jim Flaherty lasy week (YOW-YYZ). He was on his way to speak on bay street.
He seemed a bit stressed :rolleyes:

Haha...stressful?...wait until he speaks to oil/gas execs in Calgary....

lynchpin_yyz Nov 4, 2008 8:32 am

Joe Clark and Maureen McTeer on AC453 (YOW-YYZ) on Oct 31, sitting in Y no less. At least they had an exit row. Their bags caught the flight an hour earlier while they had lunch at Byward Taps.

YYZ_TVGuy Nov 5, 2008 3:16 pm

LAX

LAX MLL (Where else?? I get a new story every time I walk in the door)

Colin Mochrie is sitting beside me.

Weird thing is, 2 friends of mine and I were at a restaurant in Hollywood last week after work and we swear we saw Drew Carey get dumped by some nice-looking lady.

I know at least 3 people who are going to kill me when I show up with a story buy no autograph.

3galsontour Dec 8, 2008 8:51 pm

Eugene Levy at yyz security. I mentioned to the TSA that a great comedian had just passed through and he said "Yeah I know, when he is with his family he is nice but normally he is not" That burst my bubble as I think he is a huge talent and do not like to think of him as rude at the expense. He was frankly going through the security just like the rest of us. Maybe he also gets annoyed - just like the rest of us.

Tuneman1984 Dec 8, 2008 9:47 pm

Back in 2002 I saw Ujjal Dosanjh going through Customs at YVR early in the morning. This was back when he was in between being a former NDP Premier and a Lib star candidate...

My uncle wanted to go tell him a thing or two about his reign in B.C. but we had been delayed 5 hours getting out of Maui and he didn't have the patience :D

Tuneman1984 Jan 13, 2009 2:34 am

Not a true celebrity sighting, but on Jan 4 there was a girl working at the YYC Jazz boarding gate who looks spot-on like Whitney Port from MTV's The Hills.

I know that comment just severely downgraded my age, but my comment stands. :D

yvrcritic Jan 15, 2009 4:16 am

once saw melanie griffith on CX from JFK to YVR. she looked haggard, and this was 8 years ago. all wrinkles and makeup.
Ashanti in J class YVR - LAX, she was small and cute.
denise richards in YVR checkin to LAX, smoking hot in person.
Joe Sakic and family going to vegas in J after the all-star game in van, Jaromir Jagr sitting in the back by himself. he has social issues so i lent him a magazine.
Velvet revolver band members trolling through YVR looking very hung over.
LL Cool J praying over his meal in the YVR food court the day after a show here.

YVR - LAX and back are almost always some level of star sighting, often B or C grade though

yyznomad Jan 15, 2009 10:13 am

Originally Posted by yvrcritic (Post 11079904)
LL Cool J praying over his meal in the YVR food court the day after a show here.

Was he about to enjoy a Large DD?

omkhar Jan 15, 2009 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Tuneman1984 (Post 11065332)

I know that comment just severely downgraded my age, but my comment stands. :D

As opposed to your user name (which I assume is your birth date and not a reference to the novel) ;-)

Tuneman1984 Jan 15, 2009 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by omkhar (Post 11081654)
As opposed to your user name (which I assume is your birth date and not a reference to the novel) ;-)

No I meant it downgraded it even past that ;)

Jrsx Jan 25, 2009 10:00 pm

David Suzuki was seated in seat 2K on AC30 (yvr>yyz) today. I was in 3K. Mr Suzuki is a Super Elite and watched "Rachael Getting Married" So Canada's champion of the environment has been putting more than his share of co2 in the environment buy flying at least 100,000 miles per year.

wsommerv Jan 25, 2009 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Jrsx (Post 11141886)
So Canada's champion of the environment has been putting more than his share of co2 in the environment buy flying at least 100,000 miles per year.

If I remember correctly, his foundation has a carbon offset program. Although I remember reading something where he says he's over his limit (not quite neutral) and so has stopped taking overseas vacations.

threepoint Jan 26, 2009 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Jrsx (Post 11141886)
David Suzuki...So Canada's champion of the environment has been putting more than his share of co2 in the environment buy flying at least 100,000 miles per year.

It is possible to advocate for the environment without reverting to a stone age lifestyle. Even with the amount of flying he does, he has done more good for this planet on personal and public levels than most citizens of developed countries.

wsommerv, your signature blurb was perfectly suited as a rebuttal for the comment I quoted above. Well stated.

Is Lloyd Axworthy (or any retired politician) a celebrity? He didn't seem very impressed last Friday while CATSA staff were hand-searching his carry-on bag in YLW.

YXUFlyboy Jan 26, 2009 5:12 pm

I saw Jay Ingram (host of Daily Planet on the Discovery Channel) in the YYZ trans-border lounge 01/18... I recognized his face but didn't know his name. He was on the phone; I only heard part of his conversation - something to do with what CBC was going to do. It sounded work related :p

ceaton Jan 26, 2009 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by threepoint (Post 11146771)
It is possible to advocate for the environment without reverting to a stone age lifestyle. Even with the amount of flying he does, he has done more good for this planet on personal and public levels than most citizens of developed countries.

wsommerv, your signature blurb was perfectly suited as a rebuttal for the comment I quoted above. Well stated.

Is Lloyd Axworthy (or any retired politician) a celebrity? He didn't seem very impressed last Friday while CATSA staff were hand-searching his carry-on bag in YLW.

It's YLW, they do that to everyone who isn't local...