FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Canadian Celebrity Sightings (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/16999-canadian-celebrity-sightings.html)

acbagsmasher Sep 5, 2006 4:31 pm

Chantal Kreviazuk was on YYC-JFK flight a couple of months ago, the day after her show at the Calgary Stampede.

wali Sep 9, 2006 3:22 pm

Nelly Furtado, in the YYZ T1 MLL right now.

negotiator Sep 9, 2006 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by wali
Nelly Furtado, in the YYZ T1 MLL right now.

What the h*ll's she doing in that zoo?

Isn't there a real first class lounge for real exec's, et al?

wali Sep 9, 2006 3:31 pm

Ben Mulroney in the YYZ T1 MLL also today.

ExclusiveDorothy Sep 9, 2006 7:49 pm

Once I was across from Donny Osmond.

He was really cute and so when I *just so happened* to stand next to him waiting for the restroom, I made an indecent proposal... unfortunately he declined ;-(

Simon Sep 10, 2006 9:27 am

Originally Posted by negotiator
What the h*ll's she doing in that zoo?

Isn't there a real first class lounge for real exec's, et al?

Yeah, that's where Nelly Furtado should be :rolleyes:

ogmios Sep 24, 2006 4:21 pm

Not really a celebrity...but...

Gordon Cambell and entourage on 166 today (YVR-YOW), sitting in 1D.

NordsFan Oct 14, 2006 3:04 am

Friday 13OCT YUL International MLL: the Right Honourable Brian Mulroney prior to flying to CDG on AC870, sitting in mini-J.

jral Oct 14, 2006 5:16 am

Originally Posted by acbagsmasher
Chantal Kreviazuk was on YYC-JFK flight a couple of months ago, the day after her show at the Calgary Stampede.

Mrs. jral sat next to her on a OGG-YVR flight, 1K & they chatted all night.

Me?...I was in 29A, sleeping!

RogueViator Oct 14, 2006 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Academic
Do I take it that the only Canadian "celebrities" are politicians? The only non-politico types in the list so far are American celebrities spotted by Canadians http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif
Maybe all the others fly on US carriers.

You know what they say about politics, it's Show Business for ugly people...

RogueViator Oct 14, 2006 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by CoachClass
Mel Gibosn last year.

When did Mel gain Canadian citizenship? :confused:

TheOnlyWayTo Fly Oct 15, 2006 4:00 pm

Nonpolitical celeb AND a great guy...

In June I took the Missus to Paris for her 50th on points in BA F. (fat chance of getting AC J...) On the way home at LHR we wandered from the Concorde Room to the gate and found the usual zoo and after making our way to the actual gate found ourselves next a familiar face - the singer Michael Buble on his way home to Vancouver from a 6 week European tour. After 30 mins chatting we start to board and next time we see him is in F where he beds down for a sleep. We go to our seats and settle in and about 5 hours into the flight we are approached by the FA who advises us that the Passenger in 5K was wondering if we would like to join him for a visit! :confused: Needless to say we obliged and spent the remainder of the trip with Michael visiting, having afternoon tea, and listening to newly written songs on his ipod!!! THAT was my first and only brush with fame on board any plane... :-:

mjschill Oct 15, 2006 7:35 pm

Spotted Glen Healey in MSP getting off AC7942 on 10/10/06...arriving to do the play by play for the Canuchs-Wild game. I though it was odd, he met someone in the waiting area, and had to ask the name of the arena (Excel Energy Center)

Should have posted some of these earlier.

June 7th, 2006 - Was on AC175 YYZ-YEG with Walter Gretzky....guessing he was on the way out to Edmonton for the Oilers-Canes cup final. He was sitting in 12D

February 2nd, 2006 - Spotted Air Force One across the tarmac from UA gates, and about 20 stretch hummers carrying George W., I suppose. Caused about an hour delay.

February 23rd, 2005 - Was on AC107 YYZ-YYC in J class with Ted Saskin. He was easy to spot, his picture was all over the G&M sports page regarding last minute efforts to save the NHL season.

May 9th, 2003 - Was on AC144 YYC-YUL with David Suzuki in J Class.

zorn Oct 20, 2006 2:43 pm

Oct 19 YOW

The most seen celeb in this thread, perhaps: Peter McKay, ahead of me in the exec class check-in desk and in the longish line at security. Apparently after having escaped from the House after the day's brouhaha. Spent all the time looking at a Blackberry. Not blogging, one would assume.

At the gate three guys on stand-by were asked by the fourth guy if they saw Peter McKay. None of the three guys knew who it was. The fourth said, "He's the Secretary of State! How could you not know that!" None of them boarded, presumably having failed the current events quiz at the gate.

luxury Oct 20, 2006 4:39 pm

Nice!!!!!

Originally Posted by TheOnlyWayTo Fly
In June I took the Missus to Paris for her 50th on points in BA F. (fat chance of getting AC J...) On the way home at LHR we wandered from the Concorde Room to the gate and found the usual zoo and after making our way to the actual gate found ourselves next a familiar face - the singer Michael Buble on his way home to Vancouver from a 6 week European tour. After 30 mins chatting we start to board and next time we see him is in F where he beds down for a sleep. We go to our seats and settle in and about 5 hours into the flight we are approached by the FA who advises us that the Passenger in 5K was wondering if we would like to join him for a visit! :confused: Needless to say we obliged and spent the remainder of the trip with Michael visiting, having afternoon tea, and listening to newly written songs on his ipod!!! THAT was my first and only brush with fame on board any plane... :-:

aad665 Oct 20, 2006 5:08 pm

On my FRA-YUL, Sept 18, 2006 Josée Verner PC was sit in J. She looked confuse by J cabin, like first time she was flying in J ...or it was the horrible condition of B767 J cabin :confused:

jimmyjam Oct 21, 2006 7:55 am

This was during last year's Stanley Cup Playoffs. I was in line for security in TO and Ron MacLean and Don Cherry were walking out towards baggage, both in full broadcast suits, huge collar and all! Just 2 guys walking along, no one else around and no one seemed to notice them. I was so freaked out I almost started screaming at them, but I just ended up staring at them like a fool. I think Don could tell I was about to lose it and I'm sure I was starting to look unstable so the only thing I could manage was to give them a thumbs up. Don kept on walking, shot me a thumbs up and said "Looking good!" Classic.

While all this was going on an Asian tour group cut ahead of me in the line and I almost missed my flight trying to clear security.

Cheers,
Jimmy!

execk2 Oct 21, 2006 8:31 am

That's hilarious. A few years ago I was staying at the Hilton in Manhatten. The Stanley cup (fake) and hockey stuff was in the lobby. The Rangers were in the semi finals. At 9am I am on my way through the lobby on the way to business and there is Don in shorts and a T-shirt with Blue (his dog) on it.

I said "Hello Mr. Cherry, Mike from Quebec City, pleased to meet you". He let out his hand and said "Pleased to meet you, I love that city, what brings you here?" Chatted for 15 seconds and I could see he needed a coffee and let him go on his way.

A few weeks ago, Dick Pound was walking through the YYZ USA/terminal. He was dressed in a suit and looked real ragged...so I left him alone. Think he was having a bad day.

delayed Oct 22, 2006 9:55 pm

Peter Mansbridge was on AC 137 YYZ to YVR today at 6:00 PM. He was in the back small J cabin (it was a A333). Didn't see him until I was getting off (I was in the front J cabin).

newbusmod Oct 23, 2006 11:14 am

Originally Posted by execk2

A few weeks ago, Dick Pound was walking through the YYZ USA/terminal. He was dressed in a suit and looked real ragged...so I left him alone. Think he was having a bad day.

that's the best name in the world. dick pound.

snert Oct 23, 2006 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by delayed
Peter Mansbridge was on AC 137 YYZ to YVR today at 6:00 PM. He was in the back small J cabin (it was a A333). Didn't see him until I was getting off (I was in the front J cabin).

He seems to keep a low profile. Mrs. snert was in the same cabin (all two rows of it) and didn't notice him until he was met by his driver at the baggage claim area.

Lornag Oct 23, 2006 5:46 pm

Well I am truely astounded how many people recognize celebs, especially those of the political bent.

Most of these will go (and probably have gone) unnoticed by me.

Lorna

AnselmAdorne Oct 23, 2006 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Lornag
Well I am truely astounded how many people recognize celebs, especially those of the political bent.

Most of these will go (and probably have gone) unnoticed by me.

Lorna

A lot of those politicians will be unnoticed by history, too. ;)

makin'miles Oct 23, 2006 6:36 pm

I noticed good old Stockwell first off a flight from Halifax two Fridays back... wondered if he might have more than 90 mL of liquids on him.

InTheAirGuy Oct 27, 2006 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by makin'miles
I noticed good old Stockwell first off a flight from Halifax two Fridays back... wondered if he might have more than 90 mL of liquids on him.

I flew LAX-YYZ yesterday on AA instead of AC, as this leg got me the Platinum Challenge on AA. Joan Rivers and her daughter Melissa were in row 6, I was in row 4. Kinda cool....

YOWkid Oct 27, 2006 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by zorn
The most seen celeb in this thread, perhaps: Peter McKay, ahead of me in the exec class check-in desk and in the longish line at security.

I got a wink and a smile from Peter McKay the other day...

Then again, so did my gf the few times she passed him in the streets during the spring and summer.

airbus320 Oct 27, 2006 1:55 pm

I sat beside ex MB premier Gary Filman. Nice guy.

Hussar Oct 28, 2006 12:22 pm

Rt Hon Joe Clark in 4F on AC455 24 Oct. We boarded at Gate 21 , right beside the MLL. He dashed over right ahead of me as they made last call.

I overheard someone say that he was heading overseas, but didn't state what he was doing or where he was going. A couple of his companions sat in Y. They likely weren't his entourage as they had OC pins on their blazers. Didn't notice any special security.

His carry-on had 2001 SE tags!

CanuckFlyer Oct 28, 2006 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
I flew LAX-YYZ yesterday on AA instead of AC, as this leg got me the Platinum Challenge on AA. Joan Rivers and her daughter Melissa were in row 6, I was in row 4. Kinda cool....

I hope they were really well dressed. Joan Rivers is always whining about how no one ever dresses up when flying business class anymore. :rolleyes:

lynchpin_yyz Nov 6, 2006 5:44 pm

Feb 13, 06, YYZ-MUC, Tyler Stewart of BNL fame was a few rows behind me.

At least half the J cabin (including Tyler Stewart) was on a subsequent connecting LH flight to Turin.

The Canadian men's Olympic hockey team ( :mad: ) left on an Austrian Airlines charter that went direct to Turin from gate T1-157; we boarded YYZ-MUC from gate T1-155 and departed at the same time.

jral Nov 6, 2006 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Hussar

I overheard someone say that he was heading overseas, but didn't state what he was doing or where he was going. A couple of his companions sat in Y. They likely weren't his entourage as they had OC pins on their blazers. Didn't notice any special security

I suspect he was probably one his way to Kinshasa, Congo; Clark was heading the Carter Center’s delegation of observers at the recent election.

Stranger Nov 6, 2006 5:59 pm

I tend not to notice celebrities. But I did recognize Lloyd Axworthy in AC7 the other day. Then right in front of us getting in the TG lounge.

mpc1 Dec 9, 2006 2:04 pm

Saw both Rick Mercer and Svend Robinson (not together) today at the YYZ MLL.

Earlier I saw Rick Mercer trying to use the SE Check-in line with E baggage tags on his carry on :D .

mpc1

SOT: I did like Rick's piece with Bob Rae at the lake, but we saw how much that helped good old Bob last weekend :D

Lucinka Jan 7, 2007 9:47 pm

Sat across the aisle from the Tragically Hip on flight 191 YYZ-YYJ on Friday night. Was also amused to find that Randy Bachman was sitting in my seat when I boarded, although I didn't get the feeling that HE was too amused to find out that he was sitting in the wrong seat.

Only reason that I recognized anyone is because I asked the gate agents, who were all abuzz as we were boarding. :)

skeena1 Jan 7, 2007 11:47 pm

Kiefer Sutherland in 3F on AC554 YVR-LAX. Was in the waiting room when I got there :45 minutes before the flight no one seemed to be bugging him.

CloudsBelow Jan 8, 2007 8:52 am

Originally Posted by mpc1 (Post 6820626)
Saw both Rick Mercer and Svend Robinson (not together) today at the YYZ MLL.

Earlier I saw Rick Mercer trying to use the SE Check-in line with E baggage tags on his carry on :D .

mpc1

SOT: I did like Rick's piece with Bob Rae at the lake, but we saw how much that helped good old Bob last weekend :D

This list is the loosest definition of "celebrity" I've ever seen. Seriously, I wouldn't know who 3/4 of these people are if we walked into each other.

I've sat w/ Ben Stiller and his new wife in the Qantas lounge in HNL a few years back ... They were on their way to SYD, I was heading home to YOW.
Saw Gary Del'abate (Stern radio show) at the RCC in LAX a couple of year ago ... not really a celeb but compared to this list, he's royalty.

NordsFan Jan 16, 2007 12:40 pm

15jan 2007

Sat next to Stephen Lewis yesterday on storm-delayed AC414 YYZ-YUL. Spoke briefly with him. He was going to a speaking engagement at Concordia University.

omkhar Jan 16, 2007 1:47 pm

I saw former Canadian sprinter Ben Johnson on a FKR->YYZ back in March 06.... strangely he was flying Y

yhz123 Jan 16, 2007 2:52 pm

Fkr ??????!

airbus320 Jan 16, 2007 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by yhz123 (Post 7028708)
Fkr ??????!

perhaps FRA