Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
As of 2nd Dec. 2014 you can now request eUpgrades to Premium Economy on eligible flights operated by Air Canada, as well as to the Premium rouge cabin on eligible Air Canada rouge flights. To request an upgrade, simply log in to your eUpgrade account and select to which cabin you’d like to upgrade to, or speak with an Air Canada reservation or airport agent.

Note that should you wish to upgrade one segment of an itinerary into Business Class, and another segment into Premium Economy, you will need to make two separate upgrade requests and the requirements for these two requests will be assessed separately.

For eUpgrade requests into Business Class, you will also now have the ability to sit in the Premium Economy cabin, depending on availability, should your original request for an upgrade to Business Class not clear at time of departure.

Add-ons will not apply for eUpgrades into Premium Economy.

For more information, including credit requirements, visit http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/141202.html
Print Wikipost

New upgrades to Premium Economy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2014, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
This process needs a [U]serious[/U] re-think

Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
I don't believe this will be an automatic process, however if you speak to the gate agent I believe they may be able to put you back in your original seat if it's still available.
I for one consider an upgrade from Y to PE to be a complete waste of what are becoming very scarce eUpgrades. I would likely never want to be upgraded to PE and burn all those points. If I want PE, I'll book PE.

I'm imagining this scenario will happen all too often...

Setting the scene: The Lev books his lovely bulkhead aisle seat in Y many weeks prior to departure, but decides to try Aerolotto to upgrade to J because as usual R space has been zeroed out before the upgrade window had opened.

Gate Agent (perky and very pleased with herself): "Your J Upgrade has been denied so as not to cheapen the product, but AC has relieved you of 13 eUpgrades for the lovely experience of sitting in PE while still earning only 100% miles.
The Lev: "heck no, if I can't get the J upgrade, give me back my old bulkhead seat"
Gate Agent (typing furiously on her keyboard): "I'm terribly sorry your comfy bulkhead aisle seat has been given away to a non-status passenger who had "GTE" on their boarding pass. I have put you in a lovely middle seat between two football linemen in row 967."
The Lev (putting on best DYKWIA attitude): That's not acceptable, give me my seat back.
Gate Agent (trying to maintain smile): Sir, as a SEMM I'm sure you know that specific seats are not guaranteed. I can't ask that lovely passenger (flight attendant flying standby) that has already taken her seat to move. You'll just have to take your newly assigned seat.
The Lev (maintaining DYKWIA demeanour): "This is ridiculous. Let me speak to your Supervisor."
Cut to scene several minutes later where The Lev is being led off in handcuffs for attempting to throttle the supervisor who finally showed up and offered him a 5% discount code as a goodwill gesture while insisting that he take his new seat.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 11:18 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by The Lev
Setting the scene: The Lev books his lovely bulkhead aisle seat in Y many weeks prior to departure...

LOLOLOLOL. Hilarious and thanks.

Did you not remember to wear your special hat, you know, Sapphire Titanium Diamond Medallion imprinted on the side????

Can you provide the link to the video?????
Old Dec 3, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by the lev
Cut to scene several minutes later where the lev is being led off in handcuffs for attempting to throttle the supervisor who finally showed up and offered him a 5% discount code as a goodwill gesture while insisting that he take his new seat.
roflmao

Old Dec 3, 2014, 12:04 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Thank you to The Lev. You made my day.

In all seriousness and following on the same idea:

Given that: one needs to be in Flex to upgrade, and the current difference in price between Flex and PY being not significant,

Most SE's either buy PY to be higher up on the eUp list OR as The Lev stated wasting eUPs for up-ing to PY, that monetarily isn't much more than Flex, would have purchased PY in the first place if that's where they wanted to sit... So, the majority of SE's would eUp to J from either Y or PY with very few actually preferring PY as a second choice.

Those who will tend to eUp to PY are the lower tier members who don't want to co-pay and already know their chances of actually making it to J on eUps equivalent to getting a lap-dance from the lounge attendant (slim to none).

So regardless what the planned method is, either the situation described by The Lev, or the situation our Bovine friend is making popcorn for would occur.

Result, its impossible to please everyone, but this solution seems to have the fewest potential worse case scenarios...

Does that make sense?
Old Dec 3, 2014, 12:06 pm
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by canopus27
This is an interesting question. If Y is oversold, PE is full, and J still has spaces ... assume there are no remaining J eupgrade requests ... what is the order they will op-up people to J (just enough to clear the oversell in Y)? Will a SEMM in PE get priority over a SEMM in Y? Will a SE in PE get priority over a SEMM in Y?

Ben, can you shine any light on this?
Status first but within cabin, and as O/E/N are higher than Y/B/etc an SE in PY will get priority an SEMM in Y.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Asia Miles, SPG Gold (life), HH Gold, Golden Circle Jade
I for one consider an upgrade from Y to PE to be a complete waste of what are becoming very scarce eUpgrades. I would likely never want to be upgraded to PE and burn all those points. If I want PE, I'll book PE.

I'm imagining this scenario will happen all too often...

Setting the scene: The Lev books his lovely bulkhead aisle seat in Y many weeks prior to departure, but decides to try Aerolotto to upgrade to J because as usual R space has been zeroed out before the upgrade window had opened.

Gate Agent (perky and very pleased with herself): "Your J Upgrade has been denied so as not to cheapen the product, but AC has relieved you of 13 eUpgrades for the lovely experience of sitting in PE while still earning only 100% miles.
The Lev: "heck no, if I can't get the J upgrade, give me back my old bulkhead seat"
Gate Agent (typing furiously on her keyboard): "I'm terribly sorry your comfy bulkhead aisle seat has been given away to a non-status passenger who had "GTE" on their boarding pass. I have put you in a lovely middle seat between two football linemen in row 967."
The Lev (putting on best DYKWIA attitude): That's not acceptable, give me my seat back.
Gate Agent (trying to maintain smile): Sir, as a SEMM I'm sure you know that specific seats are not guaranteed. I can't ask that lovely passenger (flight attendant flying standby) that has already taken her seat to move. You'll just have to take your newly assigned seat.
The Lev (maintaining DYKWIA demeanour): "This is ridiculous. Let me speak to your Supervisor."
Cut to scene several minutes later where The Lev is being led off in handcuffs for attempting to throttle the supervisor who finally showed up and offered him a 5% discount code as a goodwill gesture while insisting that he take his new seat.
This is exactly what I envision too. I'm going to be seriously pissed if I lose my seat or my credits in a situation like that.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by pmax
This is exactly what I envision too. I'm going to be seriously pissed if I lose my seat or my credits in a situation like that.
According to the current method, you would not.

Should your upgrade to J not clear, you would retain your Y (like the current system works). If you would then want to upGrade to PY, you would need to see if there was still space at that time.

As The Cow mentioned, there will be SEs who don't get an eUp to PY in this case, but a lower tiered member might have already cleared to PY, so the SE will be pissed.

Moral of the story: no matter what you do, SEs will be pissed. So nothing new there...
Old Dec 3, 2014, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PLeblond
Moral of the story: no matter what you do, SEs will be pissed. So nothing new there...
Well, there's always your suggestion upthread involving the words "dance" and "lounge attendant". And popcorn.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by PLeblond
Should your upgrade to J not clear, you would retain your Y (like the current system works). If you would then want to upGrade to PY, you would need to see if there was still space at that time.
I thought Ben made it clear the upgrade from Y to PE would be automatic if the request for Y to J doesn't clear, but there's still space in PE after Y to PE requests cleared?

If that's the case, the likelihood of 18A still being available once the upgrade to PE is turned down is almost 0 in the days of packed/oversold intl flights and computer-placed GTE passengers.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
I thought Ben made it clear the upgrade from Y to PE would be automatic if the request for Y to J doesn't clear, but there's still space in PE after Y to PE requests cleared?

If that's the case, the likelihood of 18A still being available once the upgrade to PE is turned down is almost 0 in the days of packed/oversold intl flights and computer-placed GTE passengers.
Reading Ben's note bellow, you appear to be correct. Thank you for the clarification.

3) What if J doesn't clear? The system is set to prioritise upgrades to J as upgrades to J, and upgrades to PY as upgrades to PY Therefore when the flight closes and the automated system runs, upgrades will clear first into the respective cabin. If somebody is on the upgrade list for PY they will clear into PY (availability permitting) before someone listed for J who doesn't get their J upgrade. If there is still space in the PY cabin after the PY waitlist clears, the system will onload any pax listed for J into the PY cabin (and deduct the appropriate number of credits).

I know some of you may find this last part contentious while others may prefer this method, indeed I don't believe there is any way to please everybody. We chose to do it this way because we wanted to make sure those that chose to list for PY had a fair shot. As mentioned previously, no copays will apply to the PY cabin and the credit requirement grid announced today won't be changing come next year.
So The Lev is correct in his example AND The Cow is also correct should after the automated process has run, someone who requested an upgrade to J was denied and PY is then full.

Maybe those who are not SEs should wear a bulletproof vest a hockey helmet before boarding an international wide-body flight.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Status first but within cabin, and as O/E/N are higher than Y/B/etc an SE in PY will get priority an SEMM in Y.
Thanks.

One clarification - what is "the cabin"? Is it the fare purchased, or the current seat location?

Concrete example - if I purchased a Y fare, but then used an eupgrade to get into PY ... would I now be a higher priority for an oversell op-up, than an SEMM who was still sitting in Y? Or does the fact that I'm now sitting in PY not change my priority, because the fare I purchased was Y?
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rumblefox
Impossible to satisfy both?...really? it's just an extra checkbox in the eupgrade interface... Select this box if you want to be placed in PY if J isn't available and do not select if you would like to stay in Y.

UX design 101.
This is what will be needed to avoid the scenario I outlined above.

(Would need to work not only on the web interface but presumably also in the antiquated RESIII system for when people call in for upgrade requests, or request it with a live agent.)
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:30 pm
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by pmax
Is it the case that we can decline the upgrade from Y->PY if Y->J doesn't clear? I can definitely imagine cases where I wouldn't want to use credits for PY, but J is ok.
Yes you can, you can ask the GA to downgrade you.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes you can, you can ask the GA to downgrade you.
If we ask to be downgraded what happens if our (preferred) seat has been given away to someone else?
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:35 pm
Suspended

If we ask to be downgraded what happens if our (preferred) seat has been given away to someone else?

Ummmm....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.