Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
As of 2nd Dec. 2014 you can now request eUpgrades to Premium Economy on eligible flights operated by Air Canada, as well as to the Premium rouge cabin on eligible Air Canada rouge flights. To request an upgrade, simply log in to your eUpgrade account and select to which cabin you’d like to upgrade to, or speak with an Air Canada reservation or airport agent.

Note that should you wish to upgrade one segment of an itinerary into Business Class, and another segment into Premium Economy, you will need to make two separate upgrade requests and the requirements for these two requests will be assessed separately.

For eUpgrade requests into Business Class, you will also now have the ability to sit in the Premium Economy cabin, depending on availability, should your original request for an upgrade to Business Class not clear at time of departure.

Add-ons will not apply for eUpgrades into Premium Economy.

For more information, including credit requirements, visit http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/141202.html
Print Wikipost

New upgrades to Premium Economy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cairo604
With the marginal price difference between Flex and PE (lowest)... why would anyone buy a Flex fair and try to upgrade to PE? Waste of credits imo.

* Marginal difference on yvr-hkg route. Not sure about others.
I expect the price to increase over time, because you're absolutely right.

I was thinking about burning off some eUps in Jan/Feb, and for MANY routes, PE was only ~10% more than Flex.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:58 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

I assume that if I book in PY, request an eUp, and the eUp does not clear, I get to sit back in PY and not get sent to Y, without passing go or collecting $200?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
That is logical.

However, to quote Ben, "If somebody is on the upgrade list for PY they will clear into PY (availability permitting) before someone listed for J who doesn't get their J upgrade".

There is absolutely no reason someone who only requested a PE upgrade should be ahead of someone who requested a J upgrade for the sole reason that they requested the PE upgrade.

Do Y to J upgrades, transfer the remainder to the Y to PE list, and do the Y to PE upgrades. Problem solved.
As Ben said (and I agree with him), some people will prefer clearing Y -> PY requests first, and some people will prefer clearing Y -> failed J -> PY first, and it is going to be impossible to satisfy both.
I think it's fair to clear explicit upgrade requests for the respective cabins first, and then consider failed requests for J into PY.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 3:02 pm

We never know, instead of increasing PY prices, AC could decrease Flex prices.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K

I was thinking about burning off some eUps in Jan/Feb, and for MANY routes, PE was only ~10% more than Flex.

Thats exactly what I'm doing.... I'll burn all my 2014 and 2015 credits by early April assuming the upgrades go through.

Maybe I should have kept kept quiet :P
Old Dec 2, 2014, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by agjil
As Ben said (and I agree with him), some people will prefer clearing Y -> PY requests first, and some people will prefer clearing Y -> failed J -> PY first, and it is going to be impossible to satisfy both.
I think it's fair to clear explicit upgrade requests for the respective cabins first, and then consider failed requests for J into PY.
I don't see how that makes any sense. Sure, I can see how an Elite who's never going to request a J upgrade due to copay might like this system, as it puts them ahead of Super Elites trying to get J. But just because it benefits certain people (and therefore they might like it), doesn't mean it is a good strategy for AC.

Putting a P25K on a V fare in PY over a S100K MM on a Y fare, simply because J happened to be full, is stupid.

This is likely going to hurt Super Elites the most, since they're most likely to request international J upgrades.

I'm just going to sit back and wait for the first thread on FT about the SE who had to sit in Y while someone with lower status and a lower fare got an upgrade to PE.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I'm just going to sit back and wait for the first thread on FT about the SE who had to sit in Y while someone with lower status and a lower fare got an upgrade to PE.

I'll donate the beer, popcorn and the sparkling stuff, maybe a couple of chairs because it will be a great show.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 3:27 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

I don't see how that makes any sense. Sure, I can see how an Elite who's never going to request a J upgrade due to copay might like this system, as it puts them ahead of Super Elites trying to get J. But just because it benefits certain people (and therefore they might like it), doesn't mean it is a good strategy for AC.

Putting a P25K on a V fare in PY over a S100K MM on a Y fare, simply because J happened to be full, is stupid.

This is likely going to hurt Super Elites the most, since they're most likely to request international J upgrades.

I'm not trying to be cute here, or say that the system is perfect, but what would you propose they do?

Is it possible, in a timely manner, to clear J, then see with those on the J upgrade list who didn't clear if they would like to be put in the list for PY, then proceed with PY upgrade?

Wouldn't that require clearing J upgrades earlier, then starting all over again?

Is that operationally feasible with all the other things going on at the gate?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by PLeblond
I'm not trying to be cute here, or say that the system is perfect, but what would you propose they do?

Is it possible, in a timely manner, to clear J, then see with those on the J upgrade list who didn't clear if they would like to be put in the list for PY, then proceed with PY upgrade?

Wouldn't that require clearing J upgrades earlier, then starting all over again?

Isn't it an automated system?

Clear J, pump J passengers to PE list, clear PE list ...
Old Dec 2, 2014, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by PLeblond

Originally Posted by Eternity000
Isn't it an automated system?

Clear J, pump J passengers to PE list, clear PE list ...
Exactly.

Ben said they:
1. Clear PE to J
2. Clear Y to J
3. Clear Y to PE
4. Clear leftovers from (2) to PE

I'm proposing switching 3 and 4, so we have:
1. Clear PE to J
2. Clear Y to J
3. Move leftovers from (2) onto the PE list
4. Clear Y to PE
Old Dec 2, 2014, 3:52 pm

Programs: 100K
Originally Posted by agjil
Impossible to satisfy both?...really? it's just an extra checkbox in the eupgrade interface... Select this box if you want to be placed in PY if J isn't available and do not select if you would like to stay in Y.

UX design 101.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: WestJet Gold; E35K/*Silver
Here's an idea for the put out SE. Request upgrades to PY. Think about it if there are J seats available they go to PY pax first anyway. That frees up PY space theoretically making your chances of an upgrade much stronger because your SE. This also frees up eupgrades which are tight.

True you won't get your lie flat but you can't have your cake and eat it.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by rumblefox
Impossible to satisfy both?... not really just an extra checkbox in the eupgrade interface... Select this box if you want to be place in PY if J isn't available and do not select if you would like to stay in Y.

UX design 101.
That's not what's being debated.
It's about who has higher priority when it comes to PY upgrades: people who originally requested upgrades to PY directly vs people who originally requested upgrades to J but didn't end up with a seat in J.
From your suggestion, it is the case for those who selected the checkbox when requesting upgrades to J vs those who didn't request any upgrades to J at all, but instead requested upgrades to PY only.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:01 pm
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by rumblefox
Impossible to satisfy both?...really? it's just an extra checkbox in the eupgrade interface... Select this box if you want to be placed in PY if J isn't available and do not select if you would like to stay in Y.

UX design 101.
Making the 'to/from' boxes larger on the boarding pass to accommodate more text costs >$500k and takes about a month. It's not as easy as it seems, trust me.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: 100K
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
Making the 'to/from' boxes larger on the boarding pass to accommodate more text costs >$500k and takes about a month. It's not as easy as it seems, trust me.
This wouldn't be in the boarding pass... in the eupgrade site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.