Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
As of 2nd Dec. 2014 you can now request eUpgrades to Premium Economy on eligible flights operated by Air Canada, as well as to the Premium rouge cabin on eligible Air Canada rouge flights. To request an upgrade, simply log in to your eUpgrade account and select to which cabin you’d like to upgrade to, or speak with an Air Canada reservation or airport agent.

Note that should you wish to upgrade one segment of an itinerary into Business Class, and another segment into Premium Economy, you will need to make two separate upgrade requests and the requirements for these two requests will be assessed separately.

For eUpgrade requests into Business Class, you will also now have the ability to sit in the Premium Economy cabin, depending on availability, should your original request for an upgrade to Business Class not clear at time of departure.

Add-ons will not apply for eUpgrades into Premium Economy.

For more information, including credit requirements, visit http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/141202.html
Print Wikipost

New upgrades to Premium Economy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:53 pm
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by Geoflying
Thanks for the quick response Ben

Will there be the ability to list for J but choose NOT to go into PY in this situation? (i.e. "I want J or nothing since I want to preserve my credits if I don't get into J")
I don't believe this will be an automatic process, however if you speak to the gate agent I believe they may be able to put you back in your original seat if it's still available.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
I don't believe this will be an automatic process, however if you speak to the gate agent I believe they may be able to put you back in your original seat if it's still available.
Oh boy this isn't going to go over well...

In all seriousness, I think with more limited eUps it makes MUCH more sense if waitlisted for J to make the usual announcement "The cabin is full, please board with original seat", and have passengers willing to sit in PE go ask the agent to move them to that cabin and deduct eUps as necessary, rather than losing row 18 etc and being forced into using eUps for PE or sit in 57B.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: AC - SE100K
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
Oh boy this isn't going to go over well...

In all seriousness, I think with more limited eUps it makes MUCH more sense if waitlisted for J to make the usual announcement "The cabin is full, please board with original seat", and have passengers willing to sit in PE go ask the agent to move them to that cabin and deduct eUps as necessary, rather than losing row 18 etc and being forced into using eUps for PE or sit in 57B.
I agree, but how does this get actioned in a time-limited manner? Would the SE who doesn't clear J and sits in the lounge until T-35 lose out to the gate louse E35 who is chomping at the bit?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by Lights_a_blur
I agree, but how does this get actioned in a time-limited manner? Would the SE who doesn't clear J and sits in the lounge until T-35 lose out to the gate louse E35 who is chomping at the bit?
Seems to me a simple option when putting yourself on the J eUp waitlist in the first place "Check here if you want to be added to the PY waitlist should your upgrade to J not clear" (alternatively "Check here if you DO NOT want to be added to the PY waitlist should your upgrade to J not clear") could be implemented so as to make it automatic at user choice.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by canadiancow
So if I'm flying, for example, SFO-YYZ-DUB, I have to do two separate requests, and end up paying 15 credits for SFO-YYZ (Y to J), and then 13 for YYZ-DUB (Y to PE), for a total of 28, whereas if YYZ-DUB had a J cabin, I would only pay 21 total?
then fly SFO-YYZ-LHR-DUB with interline to BA...
You would then avoid rogue and save eUGs.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:18 pm

Seems to me a simple option when putting yourself on the J eUp waitlist in the first place "Check here if you want to be added to the PY waitlist should your upgrade to J not clear" (alternatively "Check here if you DO NOT want to be added to the PY waitlist should your upgrade to J not clear") could be implemented so as to make it automatic at user choice.
This sounds like a decent idea...hopefully AC will consider this.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: AC - SE100K
Originally Posted by agjil
This sounds like a decent idea...hopefully AC will consider this.
+1
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
then fly SFO-YYZ-LHR-DUB with interline to BA...
You would then avoid rogue and save eUGs.
You're missing the point of the question.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: WestJet Gold; E35K/*Silver
Happy with this.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:31 pm
Flying Blue Director

I'll pass on the suggestion but I imagine it may be easier said than done.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
I'll pass on the suggestion but I imagine it may be easier said than done.
Thanks. I think folks will appreciate that

It probably would not have been too hard if it had been thought of when the PY upgrade mechanism was initially implemented. Being in software development myself I do understand that retrofitting these users' suggestions is always harder than supporting the use case in the first place
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
To answer some questions:

1) Fare class. Upgrades will book into N class, which will also remain as the PY Lowest fare.

2) Order. Upgrade order remains the same for upgrades to the J cabin with respect to status, fare, etc.
Is this the correct cabin order that upgrades are processed?

1) PY to J
2) Y to J
3) Y to PY

If Y to PY occurs first, followed by PY to J, then the pax that have been upgraded to J would have the same cabin priority as the pax who bought PY looking to upgrade to J.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yvr76
Is this the correct cabin order that upgrades are processed?

1) PY to J
2) Y to J
3) Y to PY

If Y to PY occurs first, followed by PY to J, then the pax that have been upgraded to J would have the same cabin priority as the pax who bought PY looking to upgrade to J.
That is logical.

However, to quote Ben, "If somebody is on the upgrade list for PY they will clear into PY (availability permitting) before someone listed for J who doesn't get their J upgrade".

There is absolutely no reason someone who only requested a PE upgrade should be ahead of someone who requested a J upgrade for the sole reason that they requested the PE upgrade.

Do Y to J upgrades, transfer the remainder to the Y to PE list, and do the Y to PE upgrades. Problem solved.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:26 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Anybody have a slide ruler I can borrow to follow this?

What is still on second, right? And did What's his name get caught on a double steal at home?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
With the marginal price difference between Flex and PE (lowest)... why would anyone buy a Flex fair and try to upgrade to PE? Waste of credits imo.

* Marginal difference on yvr-hkg route. Not sure about others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.