Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
As of 2nd Dec. 2014 you can now request eUpgrades to Premium Economy on eligible flights operated by Air Canada, as well as to the Premium rouge cabin on eligible Air Canada rouge flights. To request an upgrade, simply log in to your eUpgrade account and select to which cabin you’d like to upgrade to, or speak with an Air Canada reservation or airport agent.

Note that should you wish to upgrade one segment of an itinerary into Business Class, and another segment into Premium Economy, you will need to make two separate upgrade requests and the requirements for these two requests will be assessed separately.

For eUpgrade requests into Business Class, you will also now have the ability to sit in the Premium Economy cabin, depending on availability, should your original request for an upgrade to Business Class not clear at time of departure.

Add-ons will not apply for eUpgrades into Premium Economy.

For more information, including credit requirements, visit http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/141202.html
Print Wikipost

New upgrades to Premium Economy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by PLeblond
Thank you to The Lev. You made my day.

In all seriousness and following on the same idea:

Given that: one needs to be in Flex to upgrade, and the current difference in price between Flex and PY being not significant,

Most SE's either buy PY to be higher up on the eUp list OR as The Lev stated wasting eUPs for up-ing to PY, that monetarily isn't much more than Flex, would have purchased PY in the first place if that's where they wanted to sit... So, the majority of SE's would eUp to J from either Y or PY with very few actually preferring PY as a second choice.

Those who will tend to eUp to PY are the lower tier members who don't want to co-pay and already know their chances of actually making it to J on eUps equivalent to getting a lap-dance from the lounge attendant (slim to none).

So regardless what the planned method is, either the situation described by The Lev, or the situation our Bovine friend is making popcorn for would occur.

Result, its impossible to please everyone, but this solution seems to have the fewest potential worse case scenarios...

Does that make sense?

I agree. Internationally:

I think a lot of SE's will buy PY and try to eup from there without the copay.

Whereas non-SE will spend their eups on PY or domestic J as there is no copay.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:47 pm
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by canopus27
Thanks.

One clarification - what is "the cabin"? Is it the fare purchased, or the current seat location?

Concrete example - if I purchased a Y fare, but then used an eupgrade to get into PY ... would I now be a higher priority for an oversell op-up, than an SEMM who was still sitting in Y? Or does the fact that I'm now sitting in PY not change my priority, because the fare I purchased was Y?
Since we implemented automated onloading system (including GTE pax, SBY pax, upgrades, etc.) this automatically populates the op-up list in case it is necessary. Therefore it is based on original fare purchased, as if you are upgraded into PY at the gate you are sitting in Y and would therefore be recommended for J if your status and fare were at/near the top. If you are confirmed in PY using an eUpgrade, you will be considered as an N pax (DCS looks at fare bucket, not ticket fare) so will be classified appropriately.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
Status first but within cabin, and as O/E/N are higher than Y/B/etc an SE in PY will get priority an SEMM in Y.
Sticking with the same situation (Y over, PE full, J open, net 0), I am correct on the following?

1) A P25 in PE would have priority over MMSE in Y on the OpUp to J.
2) Therefore a Y->J would only occur if there is more need for OpUps to J than there are status holders in the PE cabin.
3) After OpUps to J are processed, the system would then process OpUps from Y to PE as required.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:52 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
This is making my head spin...

Maybe this is by design. AC wants to push people (and they've successfully pushed me) to forget about the upgrade game and just buy business class fare.

SE means very little to me nowadays. Besides the access to concierges, there is no real perk of being an SE. I don't even eat the AC crappy meal so meal order is useless. And an SE sitting in J doesn't even get any edge over non-status J pax Priority boarding means nothing to me. And SE doesn't get priority baggage handling like other airlines with F. Our bags would come out "priority" but that is about half the plane.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 11:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jarusoba

Maybe this is by design. AC wants to push people (and they've successfully pushed me) to forget about the upgrade game and just buy business class fare.

SE means very little to me nowadays. Besides the access to concierges, there is no real perk of being an SE. I don't even eat the AC crappy meal so meal order is useless. And an SE sitting in J doesn't even get any edge over non-status J pax Priority boarding means nothing to me. And SE doesn't get priority baggage handling like other airlines with F. Our bags would come out "priority" but that is about half the plane.
International J get concierge access as well. You are right, once we are potty trained to buy real J fares status becomes completely useless. Except access to aeroplan seats
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:08 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Allvest
International...once we are potty trained to buy real J fares...

Thanks for this.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:37 am

International J get concierge access as well.
In theory this is the case. In reality many concierge's openly dismiss non-SE international J passengers such as myself.

On this issue of the eUps it seems quite ridiculous that AC doesn't have a button on the eUp request page asking people if they want to be put on the PY list if they do not get into J.

Why would AC not do this? Was there no thought put into this at all?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Asia Miles, SPG Gold (life), HH Gold, Golden Circle Jade
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
Yes you can, you can ask the GA to downgrade you.
Thanks, at least there's that. Hopefully they're able to retain the seat booking as well, per The Lev situation.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:55 pm

Programs: Cessna TTx Self-Fly
International J get concierge access as well. You are right, once we are potty trained to buy real J fares status becomes completely useless. Except access to aeroplan seats
Ever tried to use a concierge as a non SE? Assuming one can be located in the first place, my experience is that if the passenger is non SE the concierges don't want to help you.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:58 pm

As some one who flies only paid J the only advantage to me for being SE would be access to phone reps in a timely manner. I know AC is supposed to be fixing this but here we are in the third month of the quarter in which AC promised improvements and in which said improvements are about as real as unicorns.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by OttawaMark
if the passenger is non SE the concierges don't want to help you.
Sometimes I feel that even as an SE, the concierges don't want to help me
Old Dec 4, 2014, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by maradori
Ouch!
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by maradori
Maybe that's because they are locked out of being helpful or afraid to get their knuckles wrapped lest AC give away a favor or lose an opportunity to generate a scam fee
Old Dec 5, 2014, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting observation(s). I was recently on AC006 and skipped meals altogether. grabbed a couple oranges mid flight. No recognition of meal order by staus either.

Just bought a "latitude" regional pass as flex pass was not offering much in availability at 7 days out as flights I use are full.

SE does give me access to priority seats at n/c and priority boarding on Dash-100 flights where bin space is at a premium at this time of year.Have 49 dash flights to date,another 4 to go this year

I hope to use my SE benefits in February when I check in at YYZ(SE desk) for BGI with Mrs.acysb87 and extended family of 4
Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: AC MM E50, AF Flying Blue
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
I thought Ben made it clear the upgrade from Y to PE would be automatic if the request for Y to J doesn't clear, but there's still space in PE after Y to PE requests cleared?

If that's the case, the likelihood of 18A still being available once the upgrade to PE is turned down is almost 0 in the days of packed/oversold intl flights and computer-placed GTE passengers.
This is worrisome. I might face this situation in my next AC880... Was hoping for an upgrade from Flex (H) to J, but the J cabin is filling up quickly (J5 8 days out).Would hate to loose my preferred seat...

Has anybody experienced this situation so far?

Thanks,

R&F

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.