Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
As of 2nd Dec. 2014 you can now request eUpgrades to Premium Economy on eligible flights operated by Air Canada, as well as to the Premium rouge cabin on eligible Air Canada rouge flights. To request an upgrade, simply log in to your eUpgrade account and select to which cabin you’d like to upgrade to, or speak with an Air Canada reservation or airport agent.

Note that should you wish to upgrade one segment of an itinerary into Business Class, and another segment into Premium Economy, you will need to make two separate upgrade requests and the requirements for these two requests will be assessed separately.

For eUpgrade requests into Business Class, you will also now have the ability to sit in the Premium Economy cabin, depending on availability, should your original request for an upgrade to Business Class not clear at time of departure.

Add-ons will not apply for eUpgrades into Premium Economy.

For more information, including credit requirements, visit http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/141202.html
Print Wikipost

New upgrades to Premium Economy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I expect the price to increase over time, because you're absolutely right.

I was thinking about burning off some eUps in Jan/Feb, and for MANY routes, PE was only ~10% more than Flex.
The issue with PE prices going up is AC still has to compete with that product's pricing. TATL there's BA to contend for most destinations and to some degree LH (despite LH not being a true competitor, they still need to price appropriately within their overall pricing scheme). TPAC, AC has to compete in PE with CX, BR and hopefully NH & JL (hopefully they both expand their current PE offerings).

Anyways I think the current PE product is priced appropriately, and think that Flex pricing will have to find a pricing level between Tango and PE.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: 100K
Originally Posted by agjil
That's not what's being debated.
It's about who has higher priority when it comes to PY upgrades: people who originally requested upgrades to PY directly vs people who originally requested upgrades to J but didn't end up with a seat in J.
From your suggestion, it is the case for those who selected the checkbox when requesting upgrades to J vs those who didn't request any upgrades to J at all, but instead requested upgrades to PY only.
The assumption is that if you want an upgrade... it's going to be be J or PY... as long as it's an upgrade. So once J is filled up, the priority list would be pushed down to PY... unless you selected the checkbox.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:29 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by rumblefox
This wouldn't be in the boarding pass... in the eupgrade site.
I believe his point is that the system they use is very complicated and even a modification as small as modifying a boarding pass layout is very complicated.

I understand that many of you are experts in programming, but I have a feeling the system AC is using is old, and has been 'adjusted every which way you can think of'.

Until they decide to start over clean sheet, everything that to you, all is now easy, will be very, very complicated.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: 100K
Originally Posted by PLeblond
I believe his point is that the system they use is very complicated and even a modification as small as modifying a boarding pass layout is very complicated.

I understand that many of you are experts in programming, but I have a feeling the system AC is using is old, and has been 'adjusted every which way you can think of'.

Until they decide to start over clean sheet, everything that to you, all is now easy, will be very, very complicated.
I don't buy it... this is a simple binary addition... although I'm sure IBM could change it to a half million dollar change request. That is their business model, now that I come think of it, so I shouldn't be surprised.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 5:42 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by agjil
We never know, instead of increasing PY prices, AC could decrease Flex prices.
PY can't increase too much as AC needs to remain competitive. Flex is a very elastic product, and it'll continue to increase to the point that we're willing to pay. If you're not a FF, unless you really want that reduced SDC fee, no reason you shouldn't buy Tango and a preferred seat. In fact, the preferred seat cost between Tango and Flex is just the seat selection fee (~$10).
Old Dec 2, 2014, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by rumblefox
I don't buy it... this is a simple binary addition... although I'm sure IBM could change it to a half million dollar change request. That is their business model, now that I come think of it, so I shouldn't be surprised.
Only half million huh? Have you worked with IBM?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Can someone clarify for me that PE seating will only be found on aircraft where the Y seats are of the HD type, i.e. 17" wide? So if your upgrade doesn't clear, you're stuck in one of those seats where most people have to turn sideways because they are too wide to fit.

If this is correct that would be enough for me to never attempt a PE upgrade as I will never knowingly step on a HD aircraft again. My shoulder width is only 16.5" but both times I flew the HD 777 (due to equipment change), I had someone beside me who could not fit in his seat. First time was a morbidly obese fellow, second time was just a regular guy with normal BMI.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Can someone clarify for me that PE seating will only be found on aircraft where the Y seats are of the HD type, i.e. 17" wide? So if your upgrade doesn't clear, you're stuck in one of those seats where most people have to turn sideways because they are too wide to fit.

If this is correct that would be enough for me to never attempt a PE upgrade as I will never knowingly step on a HD aircraft again. My shoulder width is only 16.5" but both times I flew the HD 777 (due to equipment change), I had someone beside me who could not fit in his seat. First time was a morbidly obese fellow, second time was just a regular guy with normal BMI.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Eternity000

So Y seats on the 787 are wider than 17"? If that's the case, I would consider an upgrade to PE assuming I have enough ecredits to upgrade 1 meagre segment.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:03 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Marriott Plat, Natl Exec, NEXUS
Originally Posted by margarita girl

Until the A330s are refurbished in about a year. Then, you'll have a PY product in a plane with a decent seat width.

Full disclosure: I haven't sat in AC's 9 abreast 787 (hope to fly it next year) to know if that seat is too narrow for comfort, but it's listed at 17.3".
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:42 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by zorn
First step: introduce PE to J upgrades. Yay!

Second step: introduce Y to PE upgrades. Yay!

Third step: eliminate Y to J upgrades. oops!
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't see that happening as long as all the US airlines have Y to J upgrades.
I'm not so sure. For the US airlines (only UA and AA left I think?) that still have three class service (whY, J, F), they don't allow double-class upgrades. And if you think about their better-than-regular-economy service (e.g. UA economy plus, DL economy comfort, main cabin extrAA), it's pretty much the same seat just with more legroom.

AC is trying to position PE as a separate class of service (wider seat, food served on ceramic, etc). Hence, I wouldn't be surprised to see in the following order:

- introduction of copay for PE (maybe 1/2 copay to J)
- restrict international PE upgrade to SE and E75K (who still have to pay copay)
- restrict international PE upgrade to SE only
- Y -> PE, PE -> J -- i.e. no double-cabin upgrade

PS. I doubt AC will do this but then again I don't think this is an unreasonable extrapolation if one takes a pessimistic worst-case-scenario outlook
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by maradori
I'm not so sure. For the US airlines (only UA and AA left I think?) that still have three class service (whY, J, F), they don't allow double-class upgrades. And if you think about their better-than-regular-economy service (e.g. UA economy plus, DL economy comfort, main cabin extrAA), it's pretty much the same seat just with more legroom.

AC is trying to position PE as a separate class of service (wider seat, food served on ceramic, etc). Hence, I wouldn't be surprised to see in the following order:

- introduction of copay for PE (maybe 1/2 copay to J)
- restrict international PE upgrade to SE and E75K (who still have to pay copay)
- restrict international PE upgrade to SE only
- Y -> PE, PE -> J -- i.e. no double-cabin upgrade
I understand that US/UA/AA/DL/etc. don't have PE. But if my options are Y to PE on AC or Y to J on UA, that's a HUGE reason to switch.

People complained when the copays were introduced, but when it comes right down to it, only the 100k levels at UA, AA, and most/all of the others allowed international Y to J upgrades anyway. AC seems to know what's offered south of the border, and is trying to find the right balance. Sometimes, they clearly go too far, but if Y to J upgrades were killed, I think they'd lose too many people.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by somedude3210
The issue with PE prices going up is AC still has to compete with that product's pricing. TATL there's BA to contend for most destinations and to some degree LH (despite LH not being a true competitor, they still need to price appropriately within their overall pricing scheme). TPAC, AC has to compete in PE with CX, BR and hopefully NH & JL (hopefully they both expand their current PE offerings).

Anyways I think the current PE product is priced appropriately, and think that Flex pricing will have to find a pricing level between Tango and PE.
You forgot AF as a competitor in the Y+ market.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by moorw003
Here's an idea for the put out SE. Request upgrades to PY. Think about it if there are J seats available they go to PY pax first anyway. That frees up PY space theoretically making your chances of an upgrade much stronger because your SE. This also frees up eupgrades which are tight.

True you won't get your lie flat but you can't have your cake and eat it.
This is an interesting question. If Y is oversold, PE is full, and J still has spaces ... assume there are no remaining J eupgrade requests ... what is the order they will op-up people to J (just enough to clear the oversell in Y)? Will a SEMM in PE get priority over a SEMM in Y? Will a SE in PE get priority over a SEMM in Y?

Ben, can you shine any light on this?
Old Dec 3, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Asia Miles, SPG Gold (life), HH Gold, Golden Circle Jade
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
To answer some questions:

3) What if J doesn't clear? The system is set to prioritise upgrades to J as upgrades to J, and upgrades to PY as upgrades to PY Therefore when the flight closes and the automated system runs, upgrades will clear first into the respective cabin. If somebody is on the upgrade list for PY they will clear into PY (availability permitting) before someone listed for J who doesn't get their J upgrade. If there is still space in the PY cabin after the PY waitlist clears, the system will onload any pax listed for J into the PY cabin (and deduct the appropriate number of credits).
Is it the case that we can decline the upgrade from Y->PY if Y->J doesn't clear? I can definitely imagine cases where I wouldn't want to use credits for PY, but J is ok.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.