Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Rouge A319s getting 2*2 J seating

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Rouge A319s getting 2*2 J seating

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LittleYHZ
Canadians seem to love directs. Most people I know won't connect if they dont have to. They'll pay a couple hundred more for a nonstop, because it allows them to maximize their time at their destination...
Not just "Canadians" who love direct flts. IF you have places and things to do, you want to go direct. You will pay to fly direct.

It's the reason airlines all over the globe charge a premium for non-stop service. It's also why the never-ending comparisons between AC's price for YYZ-XYZ and DL/AA/etc's YYZ-ABC-XYZ are completely meaningless.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:26 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Not just "Canadians" who love direct flts. IF you have places and things to do, you want to go direct. You will pay to fly direct.

It's the reason airlines all over the globe charge a premium for non-stop service. It's also why the never-ending comparisons between AC's price for YYZ-XYZ and DL/AA/etc's YYZ-ABC-XYZ are completely meaningless.
Its also the reason why almost 50% of flights in the US are on Regional Aircraft. People complain they want mainline, but their actual purchase decisions are saying they want more direct flights and higher frequency of flights.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by LittleYHZ
Canadians seem to love directs. Most people I know won't connect if they dont have to. They'll pay a couple hundred more for a nonstop, because it allows them to maximize their time at their destination...
It's simple really. Imagine it's winter, you've saved for your vacation and its finally time to go. But wait there is a winter storm approaching. Who is more likely to get there? The direct flight or the RJ connection to ORD/EWR/IAD, etc that is also under the same storm?

More than likely the direct goes but late and the RJ is cancelled. This is why this Canadian loves directs at vacation time. I have and will pay more for the increased chances that I get there the same day that I panned to get there. Arriving a day late and watching the cruise ship sail away is probably not much fun.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

FWIW, heard over lunch the first ACr319 will go in for 2*2J reconfig sometime in the first 2 weeks of June.
Not sure if they're going to deploy them on specific Rouge routes or simply work them through system as any other ACr A319 frames. Perhaps they'll look to deploy the 2*2 on the Domestic Rouge routes first? Just speculating.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
FWIW, heard over lunch the first ACr319 will go in for 2*2J reconfig sometime in the first 2 weeks of June.
Not sure if they're going to deploy them on specific Rouge routes or simply work them through system as any other ACr A319 frames. Perhaps they'll look to deploy the 2*2 on the Domestic Rouge routes first? Just speculating.
Seat reconfiguration should only take about 8 hours or less to complete. So i imagine the whole Rouge fleet can get reconfigured one month. When preferred seats got implemented, the entire 320 fleet was done before anyone noticed.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 1:00 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Let's hope this is actually true, the empty middle seat is one of the dumbest bloody things in the airline industry. Yes, I know it's standard in Europe, and I understand that there's less demand for J on Rouge routes, but if you're going to offer J, at least offer a real J product for those who will actually pay for it.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 1:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'd actually expect it on the YVR-SFO/LAX routes first, given how hard it can be to get an upgrade on those flights at times.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Despite the best efforts, it's very hard to keep certain fins route specific due to maintenance, scheduling rotations, etc. Just as the original 2 WiFi equipped aircraft were supposed to mainly be assigned to LAX/SFO, they appeared anywhere and everywhere.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: ACMM, AC E50K, HH Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by adam.smith
Let's hope this is actually true, the empty middle seat is one of the dumbest bloody things in the airline industry. Yes, I know it's standard in Europe, and I understand that there's less demand for J on Rouge routes, but if you're going to offer J, at least offer a real J product for those who will actually pay for it.
I don't know about there being less demand for J on Rouge flights. I fly to SAN regularly, and the cabin is typically full both ways, and not just with op-ups, it appears to be full well before flight day. Last week I did OLCI at T-24 hrs and the paid upgrade for what appeared to be only 2 empty seats was $750! (I passed)
Old Mar 11, 2015, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by WR Cage
Seat reconfiguration should only take about 8 hours or less to complete. So i imagine the whole Rouge fleet can get reconfigured one month. When preferred seats got implemented, the entire 320 fleet was done before anyone noticed.
The preferred seat change didn't involve adding or removing any rows of seats, let alone a new seat type. The Rouge changes will take considerably longer.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
To increase comfort for passengers and cost the airline money means it will take years!

To decrease comfort and save the company money means AC can do it quickly.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
The preferred seat change didn't involve adding or removing any rows of seats, let alone a new seat type. The Rouge changes will take considerably longer.
Don't know exact details of what's required to make the change to 2*2 but I've heard estimates in the range of WR Cage's note (I actually heard a little shorter). These mods can be done in an RON.
... From what I've been told at least
Old Mar 11, 2015, 6:03 pm

Don't know exact details of what's required to make the change to 2*2 but I've heard estimates in the range of WR Cage's note (I actually heard a little shorter). These mods can be done in an RON.
... From what I've been told at least
Each bank of seats can be unbolted and removed in about 5 minutes. A new bank of seats installed in just about the same time.

The toughest part is getting the bank of seats out/in the main cabin door.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by upgradesecret
Each bank of seats can be unbolted and removed in about 5 minutes. A new bank of seats installed in just about the same time.

The toughest part is getting the bank of seats out/in the main cabin door.
I was thinking about that... on a 319 320 that doesn't seem impossible; but think about a 321.... certain PAX have a hard time getting through those very STUPID narrow opening to the J cabin... I can only imagine what it takes to move the seats in and out.
Old May 5, 2015, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Westjet going 2*2 in Y+ cabin

Hadn't seen this posted but seems WS is upping their Premium game, bigtime.

WestJet Airlines Ltd. will remove the middle seat in its premium economy cabin and charge more for the extra room as Canada’s second-largest carrier bids to boost revenue.

“It’s a completely different product,” chief executive officer Gregg Saretsky said on a conference call Tuesday. “Today we have three abreast, tomorrow we have two abreast.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle24258154/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.